Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to uninstall programs properly?

How to uninstall programs properly?
BlueCat
Nov 9, 2003, 10:52 PM

Is dragging the program icon (or program folder) to the trash can, the only way to uninstall programs from OSX?

I installed the demo version of Dreamweaver and if I remember correctly, it actually ran an install program (as oppose to myself dragging icons to app folder).

Now I want to remove it but there are no "uninstall" icons from within the Macromedia folders. As such, I just dragged the entire folder into the trash can.

However, I've noticed that with some files (e.g. php files) that were associated with Dreamweaver is still associated with Dreamweaver. I even selected to "Open with ..." and "Change All" from Dreamweaver to Internet Explorer and now the "Kind" is Internet Explorer but the icon is still Dreamweaver?

Is there something else somewhere that has references to Dreamweaver that I need to clean up?

Thanks in advance.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 11:02 PM

Most OSX programs can be uninstalled by dragging it to the trash. Then there's a few that you need to run the installer program and select uninstall. I have no which category dreamweaver falls in but just do a search on dream weaver and trash what you find. I would assume you find entries in the library and preference folders but thats about it.

Mike

proton
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
However, I've noticed that with some files (e.g. php files) that were associated with Dreamweaver is still associated with Dreamweaver. I even selected to "Open with ..." and "Change All" from Dreamweaver to Internet Explorer and now the "Kind" is Internet Explorer but the icon is still Dreamweaver?
It's likely that the icon just hasn't updated yet. A logout/login would fix this, as would relaunching the Finder. Or you could just not worry, especially if opening the files does trigger IE to launch.

- proton

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 01:19 AM

This question seems to come up frequently in these forums. The usual answers are that you dont need an uninstaller in the Mac - all you need to do is to drag the item to the trash bin. The only item that gets left behind is the preference file. This file is benign on doesnt need to be deleted. However, this isn't an acceptable reason fo me- when windows uninstalls something you need an uninstaller because there are changes that the original program made to the Windows registry- it seems using the windows process is more complete. I dont think such an event occurs in a Mac OS (different file system?)
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

ids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by tkmd:
This question seems to come up frequently in these forums. The usual answers are that you dont need an uninstaller in the Mac - all you need to do is to drag the item to the trash bin. The only item that gets left behind is the preference file. This file is benign on doesnt need to be deleted. snip..
Whilst this is true for apps that are "drag installed", its is not necessarily the case for something that was installed with an installer. Particularly if the installer asked for an admin password.

If Dreamweaver is anything like the free .Mac Contribute trial, then there is litter other than the app and a preference file.
IIRC there is stuff in the /Library/ApplicationSupport for Macromedia, and also for Macrovision (for application registration purposes). There may even be additional frameworks, etc added.

OS X is not the same beast that traditional Mac OS was, and is more of a challenge to manage.

If the installer was the Apple installer (probably not i think Macromeda use the Mindvision one), then the package Receipt contains the BOM (Bill of materials) for everythinng that was installed. There are a couple of apps available (do a quick search on Version tracker for DeInstaller i think was one), read the BOM and remove stuff> however usual caveats apply. If you dont know what it does, then its probably better not to delete it

BlueCat  (op)
Nov 10, 2003, 07:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your reply, just one further question on OS X and software installation. When I use the System Profiler and look at Applications installed. Where does it get this info? Does it just do a search of the Applications folder or is there some area where installed applications are kept?
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 09:58 AM

It only searches the /Applications folder and it subfolders.

Chris

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 10:35 AM

Usually when I want to delete a program I do a search for the name of the App and then delete everything that comes up for it. As long it is related to the program.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 10:54 AM

The only item that gets left behind is the preference file. This file is benign on doesnt need to be deleted. However, this isn't an acceptable reason fo me- when windows uninstalls something you need an uninstaller because there are changes that the original program made to the Windows registry- it seems using the windows process is more complete.
If it works, I guess you could be technically correct that Windows is "more complete" because it removes every file.

However, problems such as registry corruption and messages like "No programs appear to be referencing vb312e.dll - are you SURE you want to delete it?" - make the Windows uninstall process far from complete or intuitive.

Yes, deleting a Mac app may leave a 4K preference file laying around, but that's rarely a problem.

Wade

Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 11:06 AM

All the responses above are correct. 1) Drag the Application or it's folder to the trash 2) Search for instances of the App name and delete anything you find in a) Application Support b)Preferences c) Library

As for an uninstaller, I think OSX needs one. Why? Because Apple is attempting to make WIndows users comfortable with the switch to OSX and an uninstaller is just easier. Though some applications stay within one nice neat bundle, many don't. There should be a systematic way that apps that aren't in their own bundle can tell an uninstaller app where things are (much like the BOM mentioned above). I think it's very un-Apple like to have to search for files to completely uninstall an Application.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules