Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm Going Crazy!

I'm Going Crazy!
lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 06:15 PM

So far, I've had my screen, logic board, battery and keyboard replaced after about a month and half of purchasing my 15" 1.25 PB. The keyboard needs to be replaced again, because 1/4 of the keys don't light up. But this isn't what's driving my crazy, they were all fixed sans keyboard.

It's the stupid white bright lines I get when i use an external monitor. It just makes me go bonkers when i have to stare it for hours on end. (i'm a graphics designer) I've tested it with two different LaCie monitors, a Viewsonic and NEC, all with the exact same problem.

The service center has no idea how to fix it, because when they call Apple, they have no idea either. So I gave AppleCare a call myself. They have me do the usual test this, test that. Everything of course shows up fine. They put me on hold while they consult with their tech personel. Their conclusion, it's the 4 monitors i've test it on that is the problem. They told me to try it on Apple Display. Err? But that solves none of MY problems, i'm still going to have the white lines, wheather or not the same symptons show up on the Apple Display. And i'm not going to go buy a Apple Display as a solution for my problem, IF in fact there is no white lines on the Apple Display. I explained this to them and they were just, oh well...

The only thing they could come up with, is to have me bring it back to the service center, again, and have them test it... test for what, no idea.

I'm so tempted to call my creditcard company and see if i can get a refund.

Funny Bugga
Nov 28, 2003, 07:38 PM

**** man, that's terrible. Have you tried pushing to get a replacement now? If you keep being firm but not rude, you should be able to persuade someone that you have had way too many problems for a new machine, and that you would like a new one.

You will have to keep pushing to get up to someone with the authority to do this, but you can do it.

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 02:24 AM

anyone using either a 12" or 17" PB exhibit the white line problem while using an external monitor with the dvi-vga adpator?

BlueCat
Nov 29, 2003, 06:23 AM

After reading this thread, I decided to finally try out the DVI-VGA connector and external display port.

Well, I'm happy to report my 15PB is okay. I'm connecting it to an external 17" (IBM E74) monitor. No white lines.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 10:29 AM

I haven't had any problems with white lines. It might be the adaptor, have you tried using a different one? If one connector is off in that thing it might explain the white lines, if it were your video card it would be showing up on your machine as well.

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 03:54 PM

yup, tried different adaptors. had my logic board changed for this reason. the white line i'm talking about is about 1px wide, it runs vertically, the entire length of the screen. the white line is actually the pixels being displayed brighter than everything else.

Originally posted by anaphora68:
I haven't had any problems with white lines. It might be the adaptor, have you tried using a different one? If one connector is off in that thing it might explain the white lines, if it were your video card it would be showing up on your machine as well.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 04:09 PM

Ive had this problem on past PC laptop lcd's. When I called tech support on it, they said, oh you got to get that back to us ASAP. Apparently its a precursor to lcd failure.
Toshiba replaced the lcd, no questions asked. Total repair turnaround was 4 business days.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 05:24 PM

the white lines aren't appearing on my LCD, they are on the external VGA monitor. But the monitor appears perfectly fine when i hook it back up to my PowerMac.

Originally posted by s4iscool:
Ive had this problem on past PC laptop lcd's. When I called tech support on it, they said, oh you got to get that back to us ASAP. Apparently its a precursor to lcd failure.
Toshiba replaced the lcd, no questions asked. Total repair turnaround was 4 business days.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 07:52 PM

Honestly, it sounds like there is something wrong with the connector on your powerbook. I would call Apple up and suggest that to them, or take it to an apple store and show this to them in store. You might have better results if you take the monitor and plug it into their monitors.

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 06:51 AM

i've tried everything i can think of. so has the tech guy at my apple service center. he even tested it on other PB's that came in for LCD replacement and they all displayed the same problem while using an external monitor. what i'm really curious about is wheather this is a problem on Rev A and B 12" and 17" PB...?

Originally posted by anaphora68:
Honestly, it sounds like there is something wrong with the connector on your powerbook. I would call Apple up and suggest that to them, or take it to an apple store and show this to them in store. You might have better results if you take the monitor and plug it into their monitors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules