Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Root User Question

Root User Question
RyanG3
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 12:00 AM

I have a different password to log in as root. When root is enabled I can log into it with no problems, when root is disabled I'm not allowed to log in even with the root password, this is how it should be.

Here's the strange part, even with root disabled I'm able to log into root with my user account password. What can I do to fix this??

Thank you!

BlueCat
Nov 29, 2003, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by RyanG3:
I have a different password to log in as root. When root is enabled I can log into it with no problems, when root is disabled I'm not allowed to log in even with the root password, this is how it should be.

Here's the strange part, even with root disabled I'm able to log into root with my user account password. What can I do to fix this??

Thank you!
You can confirm that you have logged in as root? (I'm sure you have but ...) just to confirm, have you ran something like "who am i" or "id" in a command prompt after logging in as root BUT using your user account password.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

RyanG3  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
You can confirm that you have logged in as root? (I'm sure you have but ...) just to confirm, have you ran something like "who am i" or "id" in a command prompt after logging in as root BUT using your user account password.
Yup, it says I'm root! Any ideas about this??

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2003, 12:41 AM

This may or may not be germane. When I changed passwords to take advantage of Panther's stronger (and longer) passwords, all went well until I changed the root password.

My Panther install was upgrade over Jaguar.

When I changed the root password in Users System Preference, something happened. I had to go into Netinfo following this thread:

Apple Discussion Thread

It took 2 or 3 times before the new password was finally accepted by Netinfo, and I was able to use the longer password. A pain.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 10:38 PM

If I remember this correctly, this is to allow admin accounts to log in as anybody. The admin password will work with any log-in. I will have to check this again at work tomorrow, but I remember this being the case as of 10.1.

I am not a big fan of this I must say, and I have never really played around to see if the root info gets removed from netinfo when you "disable root user" because I never enable it on any of my computers.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 06:02 PM

The admin password will work with any log-in.
I do not believe this is correct

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules