Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare Alert

AppleCare Alert
MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 11:48 AM

To Florida residents that use their Macs for personal use,

Florida Insurance Law prohibits Apple from selling the AppleCare Protection Plan to any person that doesn't have a federal tax ID, or doesn't use their computer for business use.

The only mention of this on apple.com is when one tries to enroll online. There is nothing in their disclaimer that references this.

Needless to say, I attempted to purchase the APP for my iBook G4, but since I only use it for personal business and not for profit, I cannot get AppleCare. The only way to get it is through my business.

Just thought I would get the word out.

Still glad I made the switch though...
I gotta have more cowbell.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 10:35 PM

You can just sell the AppleCare to someone else, though, so at least you won't lose (much) of your $250.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 01:06 AM

AppleCare is not insurance. It is a warranty, with an optional 2 year extension. I fail to see how insurance law is relavent here. Of course, it is Florida...
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 01:34 PM

I went to the Apple Store over the weekend to buy Apple Care for my new ibook and was told it was not available in Florida. This is for real. So now I don't know what to do. I'm going to first look for a third party warranty, but if not, then I just got screwed by Apple.

MRTrauffer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
AppleCare is not insurance. It is a warranty, with an optional 2 year extension. I fail to see how insurance law is relavent here. Of course, it is Florida...
Apparently, Florida has been hit hard with alot of warranty fraud, especially targeted at senior citizens.

I found this quote from another message board that was talking about this very issue over a year ago:

Begin Quote:
The best I can find is this from the Miami Herald:

"Companies that sell insurance policies and provide service for policyholders, and the agents who represent them, must be licensed to do business in the state of Florida. This includes life, health, liability, accident and vehicle insurance coverage, plus extended warranties and service contracts for vehicles, household systems and appliances."

I looked at the Florida statutes, and they are very complex and restrictive. Apple and a lot of other companies just don't want to meet the requirements.
End Quote

These requirements are in place as an attempt to attack warranty fraud.

Anyway, I'm still researching...will keep this updated.

Still glad I made the switch....

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by TampaDeveloper:
I went to the Apple Store over the weekend to buy Apple Care for my new ibook and was told it was not available in Florida. This is for real. So now I don't know what to do. I'm going to first look for a third party warranty, but if not, then I just got screwed by Apple.
You didn't get screwed by Apple, you got screwed (if you can call it that) by the State of Florida...they're the ones that said you can't buy AppleCare.

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by FXWizard:
You didn't get screwed by Apple, you got screwed (if you can call it that) by the State of Florida...they're the ones that said you can't buy AppleCare.
I believe the point is that Apple doesn't make it clear on their website that a buyer in FL can't purchase Apple Care. To find that fact out after the purchase is quite unfair, unless Apple offers to give a refund for the computer.

MRTrauffer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
I believe the point is that Apple doesn't make it clear on their website that a buyer in FL can't purchase Apple Care. To find that fact out after the purchase is quite unfair, unless Apple offers to give a refund for the computer.
I did find some references of the fact that AppleCare isn't available to Florida consumers. It is in section 9C of their APP Terms and Conditions page, and also at the bottom of the product description page.

The main place that it is not at is on the product selection page. When you go to the Apple online store, and select AppleCare, you are taken to a page that lists the different plans that are available. From that page, you have 2 choices, one takes you to a description of that particular plan, and the other takes you directly to your shopping cart.

The lady that I spoke with on the phone at AppleCare was VERY helpful and very nice. She told me that Apple would like to offer this coverage to Florida residents, but it's the STATE law that is preventing them to do so without substantial increases in costs to their customers.

Still glad I made the switch. This iBook G4 is a nice little computer!!

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by FXWizard:
Problem resolved. I spoke to a rep at Apple and they suggested I just register my Applecare through an out of state relative. Then, if I need service, they will just treat me as if I just moved to Florida.

Anytime the terms and conditions of a sale appear to change after the sale, a customer is going to tend to feel screwed. Apple needs to be more up front about this issue. What's more, since Apple is able to provide a 1 year warranty, I don't see why they can't just charge more and make Applecare standard in Florida, rather than as an add on. Then, if people don't want it, they can just go to Apple Store online and pay the price with a lesser warranty.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 09:45 PM

Go to www.apple.com/store
Click "AppleCare" in the gray "Apple Products" box on the left.
Select any AppleCare item, and observe the following text on the page:
"This plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law."

-Q-
Dec 17, 2003, 11:59 AM

Anytime the terms and conditions of a sale appear to change after the sale, a customer is going to tend to feel screwed. Apple needs to be more up front about this issue. What's more, since Apple is able to provide a 1 year warranty, I don't see why they can't just charge more and make Applecare standard in Florida, rather than as an add on. Then, if people don't want it, they can just go to Apple Store online and pay the price with a lesser warranty.
Why go to all that trouble for one state with an asinine law? The majority of customers don't have to deal with it so I don't think there's a problem at all. And what harm have you incurred? The fact that you couldn't spend money??? And no terms and conditions changed - you just didn't fully research the purchase.

Apple doesn't need to do anything at all any more than they've already done. Your issue is with your state and their bass-ackwards law.
( Last edited by -Q-; Dec 17, 2003 at 12:09 PM. )

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Go to www.apple.com/store
Click "AppleCare" in the gray "Apple Products" box on the left.
Select any AppleCare item, and observe the following text on the page:
"This plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law."
I'm sorry, these pages are not legible in Internet Explorer on any of the machines I've attempted to view them on.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Why go to all that trouble for one state with an asinine law? The majority of customers don't have to deal with it so I don't think there's a problem at all.
Oh, you should work in customer service. You're a natural.

Your issue is with your state and their bass-ackwards law.
Last time I checked, I wasn't the dictator of Florida.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 09:20 PM

I'm sorry, these pages are not legible in Internet Explorer on any of the machines I've attempted to view them on.
??? Not legible? Each page is just standard text with a few images. Should work fine on any browser.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
??? Not legible? Each page is just standard text with a few images. Should work fine on any browser.
It doesn't, and its repeatable across 5 machines. 3 set up by me and 2 set up by two different individuals.

enk0d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 02:02 PM

I was wondering seeing how i am in miami and about to get a ibook does the bahamas count as a outside relative even though i am here now? The reason why is because i don't have any relatives outside of the state of florida so the only alternative i have is to use my family there that is providing that is possible is it?

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by enk0d:
I was wondering seeing how i am in miami and about to get a ibook does the bahamas count as a outside relative even though i am here now? The reason why is because i don't have any relatives outside of the state of florida so the only alternative i have is to use my family there that is providing that is possible is it?
Just call and ask Apple, the number is toll free. Then get out your manginfying glass and read the fine print to make sure....

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by enk0d:
The impression that I got from the person I talked to is that would work fine. Put appropriate consideration on the fact that a non-Apple person is relaying a phone conversation with an Apple employee whom may or may not be qualified to authorize that arrangement.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 10:26 PM

When I worked at Dell we had the same issue with Complete Care. I think Cali has the same thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules