Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Virtual PC

Microsoft Virtual PC
BlueCat
Nov 21, 2003, 07:41 PM

I know there are threads around about VPC, but I would like to obtain a current view from those who are using the latest version (whatever it may be 6.1.x?) of VPC?

I've demo'd VPC in action on Connectrix's v6.0 and it's pretty crap (sloooow)! Has it improved since Microsoft took it over? Can one really be productive using it for doing things like running Offcie XP and even Visio? I dont' expect it to run like it was on a P4 but could it be at least comparable to a good speed PIII?

I'm about to get Office V.x (as my work standardised on Office apps) and I'm trying to decide between getting the Standard edition or should I fork out the extra to get Pro which includes VPC 6.1?
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 07:45 PM

VPC 6.1 is still slow I would not use it for any high end or even middle range tasks at all. I only use it to view web sites under I.E. 6 and a few other windows only tasks.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 08:17 PM

if you had read some of those other threads, you would have seen that v6.1 was basically nothing more than a "re-branding" of connectix's last version...meaning that all it did was remove references to connectix and replace it with microsoft.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 09:23 PM

Honestly, for the cost of VirtualPC + WindowsXP ($249) you could buy a decent used PC (P3/750) that will run rings around VPC. I have a PC and my Mac plugged into a USB KVM switch and use the PC for things that require a PC, and the Mac for everything else. With the KVM, I use my Apple keyboard, my Microsoft Intellimouse, and my Dell 21" CRT for both machines, switching between them with a keystroke.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

dru
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
if you had read some of those other threads, you would have seen that v6.1 was basically nothing more than a "re-branding" of connectix's last version...meaning that all it did was remove references to connectix and replace it with microsoft.
So there's no reason to get the update from Microsoft? Is that what you're saying?

I only moved to 6.0 because 5 was causing kernel panics in Panther. I loathe Microsoft, if I don't have to get their update for any benefit to me then I'll happily not waste the bandwidth.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by dru:
So there's no reason to get the update from Microsoft? Is that what you're saying?
Yes.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 11:22 PM

If you do end up buying a PC, try to spring for a little extra and get XP Pro. Then you can run the Remote Desktop Client on your Mac which is actually a very nice solution if you're lazy like me and don't want to switch back and forth between your PC and Mac.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 03:31 PM

VPC is worthless in it's current state. In OS9 the speed was tolerable, but in OSX it really is awful. I agree with buying a cheap PC. I've got an old 550mhz P3 that runs circles around VPC 6 on my Dual 500G4 with 1.5gb of RAM (both running Win2k).

I'll often use VNC which is significantly faster than VPC (RDC is apparently much faster than VNC). The only reason to use VPC is if you have a laptop and need Windows functionality on the go. That said and done, I removed VPC from both my laptop and Desktop several months ago.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I've got an old 550mhz P3 that runs circles around VPC 6 on my Dual 500G4 with 1.5gb of RAM (both running Win2k).
I'm sorry, but why do you find that surprising?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I'm sorry, but why do you find that surprising?
I don't find it surprising, I'm just trying to illustrate how a PC that is less than $100 can be more effective than VPC (if you have the room).

So for about 200-300 you can have a PC running WIn 2K which will be so much more useful than VPC.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

dru
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Yes.
Thanks.

I have a PC on the desk too actually and use it for "real" PC tasks, but sometimes VPC is just more convenient. I can use my Windows-only USB scanner and scan directly to the iMac thanks to VPC. This is a good thing.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 11:04 PM

VPC 6.1 runs pretty well for me. Running XP and my emulation is a P3 600 running through a 1.42x2 MDD w/2GB RAM.

It's not fast by any means but I can run Office and most anything else I need to run.

Make sure to install the additions.

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
If you do end up buying a PC, try to spring for a little extra and get XP Pro. Then you can run the Remote Desktop Client on your Mac which is actually a very nice solution if you're lazy like me and don't want to switch back and forth between your PC and Mac.
/agree

Add a cheap, headless, and quiet XP Pro PC to your network and access it via RDC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules