Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Norton Anti-virus v's Virex (with .Mac)

Norton Anti-virus v's Virex (with .Mac)
BlueCat
Jan 28, 2004, 05:57 AM

Firstly, I understand that it is a common believe/reality that virus' don't exist on Macs but I'm just being precautious.

I've used Norton Anti-virus on Windows and trust it as a good product. I haven't heard much about McAfee Virex. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with either? What would your preference be?

One reason why I would go for Virex is that, Norton Antivirus is about the same price as a .Mac membership. Although, I personally don't see that much benefit from .Mac, if I'm going to spend that much on a anti-virus program, I must as well get the .Mac membership with it (assuming Virex is just as good if not better).
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
Firstly, I understand that it is a common believe/reality that virus' don't exist on Macs but I'm just being precautious.

I've used Norton Anti-virus on Windows and trust it as a good product. I haven't heard much about McAfee Virex. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with either? What would your preference be?

One reason why I would go for Virex is that, Norton Antivirus is about the same price as a .Mac membership. Although, I personally don't see that much benefit from .Mac, if I'm going to spend that much on a anti-virus program, I must as well get the .Mac membership with it (assuming Virex is just as good if not better).

Any experiences of virus software on the latest operating system would be relatively useless to you, as none would involve viruses (barring MS macro viruses).

I can say the latest Virex is stable (for me). But, that's the best info I can give you. No one is going to be able to give you a fair comparison between the products until the sh1t hits the fan.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 10:22 AM

The reason I would use virus software is so you don't send a virus to your windows friends. On the Mac you can carry the virus but you can't get it. So just as a precaution to those who use Windows and just as a good netizen you would want to not spread it any further.

On both pacakges. If you already have .Mac just use Virex. It's pretty decent. I haven't caught any viruses yet but since I have .Mac I may as well practice what I preach. Norton Antivirus isn't too bad either. I believe both will scan for windows viruses.

Not sure why people are still using Windows but that is the reason why I would run virus software.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 12:42 AM

Virex is horrible. Norton is decent.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:58 AM

Norton is a virus by itself ... the only Kernel Panic I had in 10.1 was attempting to remove norton
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules