Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 Video Card

iBook G4 Video Card
MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 08:44 AM

Hello. I am a proud owner of a 14" iBook G4. According to all of the promotional information about the iBook G4, this machine is supposed to have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 for the graphics card.

I was bored last night and decided to look through my system logs via console and noticed this entry that was made during a reboot:

Apr 1 20:38:04 localhost kernel: ATIRadeon8500: using AGP

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I can't find any info on the card that's installed. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

This machine has been working great, and I'm still glad I made the switch!
I gotta have more cowbell.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 09:40 AM

The reason is that the Radeon 9200 uses the same driver as the Radeon 8500, the reason being that the core on which both are based are almost the same with a few differences (number of texture units, AGP 8X support, etc).

The Radeon 9200 has the RV280 as its core, the Radeon 9000 has RV250, and the Radeon 8500 has RV200. For brevity's sake, let's just say that the RV250 is the RV200 with a little more features, and the RV280 in turn a slightly more enhanced version of the RV250 (it has 8X AGP support for instance). When you get down to the basics, they all use the same underlying 'technology.'

With that in mind, it makes sense for Mac OS X to use the same driver for the Radeon RV2xx chipset, no matter the actual card used (beit an 8500, 9000, or 9200).

I hope this helps.
( Last edited by ginoledesma; Apr 2, 2004 at 09:51 AM. )

grand mufti
Apr 2, 2004, 09:42 AM

under what log did you check? im also a new user of them same ibook.. i want check

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 09:53 AM

grand mufti, you can get the boot log messages by going to the Terminal and type "dmesg", which shows the system messages.

MRTrauffer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by grand mufti:
under what log did you check? im also a new user of them same ibook.. i want check
Under the utilities folder in applications, open console and look for system.log

Thats where I got it.

Thank you all for your replies, this is making more sense to me now.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules