Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook speakers

Powerbook speakers
plamparello
May 12, 2004, 06:30 PM

I wanted to know what is the best 2.1 (2 satilites and a sub) speaker system out right now. Price is not that big of a deal (under $300 proably) but I am just looking for something I can use that will be pretty loud and sound really good for a set of computer speakers. Thanks.
plamparello

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 08:18 PM

harman kardon speakers. i saw some at the apple store that were pretty nice. i would buy something like that. unfortunatly i dont remember what they were called.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

KidKit
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 01:33 AM

Sounds like you are willing to pay a good price for a 2.1 speaker system... I must say that you do get what you pay for, even good brands offer some low end stuff that don't do the rest of the product line justice. Good news is that with metal cone technology, a lot of the newer low end speakers (less than $100) have really begun to sound very impressive, they will easily "be pretty loud and sound really good for a set of computer speakers".

IMHO, the Harmon Kardon speakers are more design than substance, I've heard them and found that the treble is excellent, but the bass sounds are blurry and muffled to me. JBL offers quite a good price for quality, and I enjoyed the JBLs that I used to have. I personally like the higher end Cambridge Soundworks and Altec Lansing speakers. Again, I would wholly recommend you going to a good electronics retailer where you can hear the speakers in action, different people have different preferences when it comes to "sound quality".

Link
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 01:50 AM

You do know JBL and HK are the same company.. right?

Back to the topic.. if you're wanting to fill up a large room, there are a few systems that might satisfy you:

Klipsch GMX 2.1 (about $100 through newegg)
Monsoon 2.1 systems (vary between $60-120)
H/K creatures (about $100)
Klipsch promedia 2.1 (about $150 but VERY good)

Those would be my picks

Your other option, would be to get a nice mini stereo and a minijack to RCA cable.. it's just one of those things you REALLY should think about, there are some damn attractive systems out that will sound as good as a strong sound system and look awesome too, like This....

The one great thing about having a mini stereo is you can turn around, unplug it, listen to radio, etc.. but they're also nice and well balanced since they're 2.0 vs having tinny speakers and a heavy sub.
Aloha

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 03:27 AM

klipsh
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 06:12 AM

I use my Tivoli Model Two as computer speakers. A sub is available and together they provide excellent, warm sound.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pM2TPE.htm

You get radio and they look nice to boot.
Steve is better tahn you!

perbl
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 07:44 AM

I still prefer a good quality small stereo system compared to plastic sounding active speakers. If you have some spare space on your desk, you get much more sound and quality by buying a regular small sized amp and some racks and a couple of cheap speakers. Many of them look damn nice as well.

KidKit
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Link:
You do know JBL and HK are the same company.. right?
Lol... i stand corrected. I had an old JBL system from way back, so that bit about JBL might not all hold out.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 11:09 AM

i have had these for 2 months and i am very impressed. if you are willing to pay $250, nothing could match the powerbook as well and sound good too.

Bose Companion 3

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 12:30 PM

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by steveismyman:
I use my Tivoli Model Two as computer speakers. A sub is available and together they provide excellent, warm sound.

I agree. I use the model 1 and it is just a terrific way to both have AM and Fm and plug in capabilities for the ipod and the pwerbook. I dig this radio, the way it looks (it's got a wooden case) and the way it sounds (the wood case adds to the richness of sound for such a small unit. 99 bucks for the model1

peace
mel

macdevil
May 13, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by steveismyman:

I currently use the JBL Creature set up. They are pretty good and fairly easy to use with my tibook, as well as my iPod. I am interested in something with a radio though. How is the reception?
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 05:27 AM

I live on the bottom floor of a big brick house - my cell gets lousy reception and my old tuner couldn't take in any but the strongest channels. The Tivoli is better, but not perfect. This is all FM, I haven't tried AM.

The Model Two generally gets good reviews and is actually quite hip with the audiophile crowd as a kitchen radio.

But let's not kid ourselves, it is a $150 radio, and even if it performs on par if not better than many micro systems from Aiwa, Sony and Panasonic it is not hifi.

Forum Links
Forum Rules