Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bluetooth Phones in Tiger

Bluetooth Phones in Tiger
plamparello
Apr 12, 2005, 09:43 PM

(this was somehow missing from my first post)

Not only does it say that isync in Tiger is going to be including bluetooth for existing mortorola phones, but It is also saying that there is some sorta answering/caller ID feature. Does anyone know of this????

LINK:

Caller ID Provided by Addressbook

iSync Phone List
plamparello

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 11:13 PM

IIRC, it does that now, but only if AddressBook is open when you receive the call.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 03:29 AM

Yes but now we Moto users can now actually do it
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

ajbaker
Apr 13, 2005, 08:52 AM

In a similar vein, are the Sync Services in Tiger now written to use the standard SyncML for mobile phones, or are they now extensible...
ie will third parties be able to create plugins for iSync to enable it to Sync with new phones, or do we have to wait [patiently] for Apple to update iSync every time a new phone is release?

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 10:21 AM

I'm hoping that we'll see a way for 3rd parties to add iSync support. I (foolishly) assumed that the Nokia 6230 would either be supported already, or would soon be supported when I bought it 7 or 8 months ago. Still no sign of iSync support
12" Rev B PB

ajbaker
Apr 13, 2005, 11:09 AM

There was a rumour of that many months ago when Tiger was first talked about. However there is nothing concrete anywhere on the web to confirm that 'plugins' will be possible. The developer documents on Apple's web site are non-existent for SyncServices currently. Can any developers chip in here...

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by plamparello:
(this was somehow missing from my first post)

Not only does it say that isync in Tiger is going to be including bluetooth for existing mortorola phones, but It is also saying that there is some sorta answering/caller ID feature. Does anyone know of this????

LINK:

Caller ID Provided by Addressbook

iSync Phone List
The Address Book integration is there now in Panther. When in Address Book, there is a popup window when someone calls. Here's a screenshot I found:

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 03:59 PM

Where did you get the idea that it would act as an answering machine? Because you saw a pic similar to the one in the previous post? All that does is tell your phone to send the busy signal. Most phones will then forward the caller to your normal voice mail, but they don't have to. I think Apple just made an assumption, and a bad one at that.

OreoCookie
Apr 14, 2005, 06:05 AM

It works fine with Panther.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

plamparello  (op)
Apr 14, 2005, 10:14 AM

When you answer it in Panther, (because the service isn't available for me) does it pick up on the computer using the internal mic and speakers like handsfree or does it just answer the phone and you need to find it and pick it up still?
plamparello

OreoCookie
Apr 14, 2005, 10:28 AM

I still have to use my phone.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by plamparello
When you answer it in Panther, (because the service isn't available for me) does it pick up on the computer using the internal mic and speakers like handsfree or does it just answer the phone and you need to find it and pick it up still?
No, that would be a very bad-ss feature though!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

plamparello  (op)
Apr 14, 2005, 07:57 PM

I seen no reason why this shouldn't be in existance. It is sorta a similar to VoIP in iChat or any handsfree set that is in cars or stuff. Also I couldn't even explain how convient that would be when colaborating with others on documents rather than using speaker phone or holding a handset to your head.
plamparello

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 09:58 PM

All Apple needs to do is make the Mac OS X software have a built-in handsfree client, Pretty much mimic the profile inside any number of bluetooth headsets. Any microphone could be the microphone (be it the built-ins on portables and iMacs, or an iSight, or any other) and then your speakers (internals, USB, firewire, or analog) could be the speaker part. Only thing I might be worried about is feedback but they could take care of that.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 10:07 PM

I sent the following to Apple in their Feedback section:

Address Book could be so much better integrated with Bluetooth Phone Support. Here are my suggestions:

1. When the phone rings, change the answer button to "Answer on Phone", and add another button that says "Answer on Mac". When you click "Answer on Mac" it would route the call through your mac using your speakers as the speaker for the phone and your microphone as the microphone for the call. This would effectively make the Mac a bluetooth headset for the phone.

2. Allow the Address Book to be your answering machine. You could switch this feature on and off, but after a certain number of rings, the address book app would connect via bluetooth, answer the call and any number of things could happen, the caller could leave a message or with the new automator app coming out in Panther it could execute scripts for you on your Mac that could do any number of things!

3. .mac integration! When the Address Book takes a phone message it would sync the mp3 phone message to your .Mac Address Book allowing you to listen to it online. It could also recognize the phone number from your address book and match it up with an address card that has an e-mail and allow you to e-mail the person back or even send a text message back. It's like iLife integration for Address Book/Mail/Bluetooth Phones.

qkslvr
Apr 14, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by plamparello
Taken from BluePhoneElite's FAQ
Can I use my computer's microphone and speakers to talk on my cell phone?
Currently you can not, however with the upcoming release of OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Apple reports that it will be possible to use any non-Bluetooth microphone and speakers to talk on your cell phone. If this is true, you can count on BluePhoneElite incorporating it.
'

Apparently BluePhoneElite is planning on implementing this, I guess only time will tell.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 09:57 PM

I was wondering if that were possible just the other day...that would be incredibly SWEET if Apple made that possible. Your Mac acting as a handsfree bluetooth headset...way cool, and highly convenient (especially since I usually leave my phone in my jacket when I get home from work - wouldn't have to go fish it out when making or receiving a call).

Forum Links
Forum Rules