Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How can I Share my FireWire HD

How can I Share my FireWire HD
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 11:12 PM

I want to share my FireWire HD over my network by having it mounted on my iMac. I used to be able to do this with my USB drive, but my FW drive doesn't show up when my iBook goes to connect to my iMac. Can anyone help me? (and yes, I did search the forums for an answer already)
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 09:57 AM

Should just show up as a volume when you use the connect to server/Network ->network volume connect methods.

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 12:47 PM

erm... that is my problem, it doesn't! :-(
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 01:15 PM

Which OS are you using, and how is the drive formatted?

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 01:40 PM

i am using Mac OS 10.3.9, and the drive is in MS-DOS

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 09:56 AM

Do you have an HFS+ drive you can borrow to test? I have a Firewire drive that I can access in exactly the way you want to, and it is formatted as HFS+.

It shouldn't make a difference, but that is the only clue I see so far.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by irockdabari
I want to share my FireWire HD over my network by having it mounted on my iMac. I used to be able to do this with my USB drive, but my FW drive doesn't show up when my iBook goes to connect to my iMac. Can anyone help me? (and yes, I did search the forums for an answer already)
External drive aren't shared by default. Personal file sharing only shares your home directory. To share the external drive, use Sharepoints.

Chris

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
External drive aren't shared by default. Personal file sharing only shares your home directory. To share the external drive, use Sharepoints.

Chris
I disagree - when I connect to another Mac on my home network, I see all internal and external drives; including Firewire ones and CD/DVDs.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 03:09 PM

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Krypton
I disagree - when I connect to another Mac on my home network, I see all internal and external drives; including Firewire ones and CD/DVDs.
So do I. Except something is keeping the Finder from copying files without a "you don't have sufficient permissions". Viewing Get Info reveals that I do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules