Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Matte or Glossy MBP for design

Matte or Glossy MBP for design
erniesthings
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2006, 01:07 PM

I'm looking into getting a MBP for my main machine. Currently using ibook G4 which I really like. Just want somethings with some more umph.

For designing I'm concerned about the gloss screen. I like the screen on my current machine, but I was wondering. Are there any color issues or calibration problems with a glossy screen.

Thanks

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 01:34 PM

The glossy screen looks nice, but I find when I'm doing design stuff on my MacBook the really narrow viewing angle bugs me.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

matte and only matte for me personally. the last thing i want is to catch a glare in the corner of my eye.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Thorzdad
Jul 13, 2006, 03:23 PM

I gotta go with a matte screen. Too much glare on the glossy screens. Plus, everyone is talking about how great the colors look on the glossy screens. That sends up a red flag for me. It sounds like, maybe, the glossy screens distort the color a bit. Too saturated? Too much contrast?

I love the matte screen on my 23" CD at home.

erniesthings  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2006, 10:16 AM

That's pretty much were I was going to go. Just wanted to see what other designers thought.

Hope there are still some referb's there this winter.

Jason
Jul 16, 2006, 06:29 AM

Matte is the way to go! Those glossy screens may look nice in the shops, although when you're in a a working environment with the sun blaring into your office, you will basically have to find a dark corner to set up the computer to be albe to look at the screen! I remember with my old CRT, at certain points of the day the sun would shine through my window like nothing else! and i would have to basically turn my montor facing away from the sun, although then you have to put up with the sun shining in your eyes! (of course if you have shutters, or tinted windows this will reduce the effect).

As everone has said though, the matte will do you well! im really enjoying my MBP with the matte screen.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2006, 07:35 AM

I went Matte - just couldn't handle the reflections on the glossy screen

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 16, 2006, 12:02 PM

Glossy is a big no no for anyone working with color in design or video. The colors they will see will not be accurate or the same as what will come out on print or other media.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 03:09 PM

My MBP has the matte screen and I could not be happier.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 04:54 PM

The glossy screen doesn't show colors any differently than the matte screen. The difference is that the glossy screen displays a much higher contrast, or at least gives the illusion of higher contrast.

Besides, we all know it's a bad idea to rely on display color for design print work anyhow, no matter what kind of display you use.

Thorzdad
Jul 17, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Besides, we all know it's a bad idea to rely on display color for design print work anyhow, no matter what kind of display you use.
True enough.
However, in these bottom-line-oriented times, the last couple of employers I've been with would not shell-out for the additional cost of match-print proofs on anything other than the largest, highest-profile projects. Even worse, I've actually had print shops tell me that they only supply PDFs for color proofs!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 01:52 AM

sad sad sad...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
The glossy screen doesn't show colors any differently than the matte screen. The difference is that the glossy screen displays a much higher contrast, or at least gives the illusion of higher contrast.

Yes.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad
True enough.
However, in these bottom-line-oriented times, the last couple of employers I've been with would not shell-out for the additional cost of match-print proofs on anything other than the largest, highest-profile projects. Even worse, I've actually had print shops tell me that they only supply PDFs for color proofs!

You need a new job. And new printers.

th3ph17
Jul 20, 2006, 11:43 AM

we [magazine publisher] do pdf proofs for content and layout, not color. At least, that is what they are supposed to be for...that idea isn't always understood/communicated correctly.

Thorzdad
Jul 20, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by th3ph17
we [magazine publisher] do pdf proofs for content and layout, not color. At least, that is what they are supposed to be for...that idea isn't always understood/communicated correctly.
And content/position is exactly how they should be used (although I've seen some pretty nasty "position proof" PDFs from printers that were little better than bad faxes) But, honestly, I really have had printers offer PDFs when asked for color proofs.

I know it's sad. I learned my trade back in the day when color match-prints, chromalins, and chroma-keys were an automatic thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules