Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > do you have glossy or matte?: POLL

View Poll Results: Do you have glossy or matte
Poll Options:
i have glossy mbp 51 votes (38.35%)
i have matte mbp 75 votes (56.39%)
what the hell is glossy/matte 7 votes (5.26%)
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll
do you have glossy or matte?: POLL
cypark621
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 06:05 PM

im not asking which one is better. just want to see what the majority of macbook pro users have. thats all. Please vote.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2006, 06:54 PM

im going to order the most popular on friday. was gonna do matte but...i really cant make up my mind.

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 07:11 PM

yeah same here im gonna jump on the wagon.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2006, 07:58 PM

I thought I would hate glossy screens until I used one. Now I think they are the only way to go.
To be determined later.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:45 AM

My rev A MBP was matte as all my previous PBs. My MB was glossy. I was totally convinced. My rev B MBP is a glossy.

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 06:46 PM

more votes please!!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2006, 06:52 PM

I didn't get to choose, since mine was ordered for me, but I'm glad it came in with a matte screen.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

volcano
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 07:10 PM

I absolutely love my glossy screen on my Rev. A MBP. The Rev. B model I ordered last Wednesday? It will be glossy as well. Watching DVDs is a pleasure, even when watching a dark movie with lots of black.

Don't be surprised if the poll results are evenly split by Friday: it looks like that trend has already begun.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 07:21 PM

I wanted glossy but all they had was matte, which is no big deal to me since no blown pixels.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 11:41 PM

I'd like to get a glossy, but I'll settle for what's in stock (which at this point, is none at the DE apple store!)

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 09:18 AM

anybody have regrets going with glossy/matte?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 09:43 AM

The Matte is very bright in my opinion. I was in a church Sunday morning using FM7 music software; the C2D was attached via USB to my keyboard, but there was a low, large window directly behind me. I know there would have been lots of glare with a glossy. I think either way you go you won't be disappointed.

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 06:07 PM

was leaning towards glossy, but after this i might have to go with matte.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2006, 06:13 PM

Just ordered my 2.33/160 with a matte screen. THought about glossy but I travelled all over the world with my Tibook and I just know the reflections would piss me off after a while.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
The Matte is very bright in my opinion.
How does the matte surface make it brighter?
To be determined later.

wingdo
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
How does the matte surface make it brighter?
They didn't say the matte surface was brighter than the glossy. They said the matte is very bright in their opinion. And compared to my PB, my MBP matte is quite bright.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

allenranger2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 07:19 PM

I've taken a look at both Matte and Glossy...I currently have Matte on my Powerbook while everyone else that I know went with the ooh-la-la shiny MacBooks :-). The problem that I have with glossy is that while colors are nice, if I am looking at someone else's machine and i'm sitting to their side, the screen is darker and you can't see everything. Whereas Matte, if you sit anywhere around the 180 degree area of the screen, you can see it perfectly.

I just ordered the 17" Matte MBP. I hope it'll be as good as everyone says. Seems like people are saying there's less heat coming from them.

Bermy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 07:24 PM

After having glossy I will never go back to matte. It just looks brighter and far better to me.

I am seriously hoping Apple will upgrade the monitors to have a glossy screen as well. Soon as they do I will be purchasing one!

johnbdh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 07:52 PM

Does anyone use an external Monitor along side their glossy MBP? Wondering how disconcerting the difference is to work between the 2 displays. I have an old 23" Cinema Display on my PB. I would lean toward glossy but am concerned about using it on my desk with the Cinema Display.

trevj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 08:42 PM

After much inner turmoil, I finally made the executive decision to go with the matte display on the 17" MBP that I ordered Sunday. I really hoped to see the gloss and matte side by side, but as there are no Apple Stores within 250 miles of me, I was out of luck. I was able to get a quick in-person look at a glossy MacBook screen last week and left with some concerns over the glare issue. Then over the weekend, I was fortunate to meet somebody who owned a 17" MacBook Pro (previous version) with a matte screen. The picture on it was stunning. I realized that because I make my livelihood as a digital illustrator, it was safer to go with what I already knew and was happy with. This MBP owner explained that while he agreed images did look stunning under the right conditions on a glossy display, it wasn't the ideal surface to be doing graphics work on (his opinion). I'm not a gambler and I knew I'd be more than happy with the matte, so that's the route I went. My own personal opinion is that the matte is perhaps a little more professional looking as well.

Trevor Johnston

www.TrevorJohnston.com

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 11:37 AM

looks like im gonna be geting the Matte

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 12:38 PM

You wont regret a Matte display... but you might regret a glossy one.

allenranger2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
I am seriously hoping Apple will upgrade the monitors to have a glossy screen as well. Soon as they do I will be purchasing one!
Oh no no no no....

I don't think they will because mostly the people that use the displays are some type of editors, be it photo, or video, etc...And what glossy does is enhance the colors and make them not as "true" as on a Matte finish. That will make a whole lotta artsy people verrrrrrry upset.

phazedowt
Nov 1, 2006, 07:53 PM

Anyone who doesn't know which one they want should taking the varied personal opinions on this forum int account so seriously and go directly to one's local Apple store and look at them in person. It really is a personal preference as far as I can tell with no clear "better choice" (unless you're a graphics/photo professional, in which case matte will probably be necessary for the more faithful color reproduction).
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 11:08 PM

Here are the pictures I promised.

BTW I don't understand how people talk s*** all the time about glare on the glossy screens, when the worse distraction came from Matte Screen which goes completely dull when a strong light hits it...

The glossy screen is the closest you can get to a desktop screen...

Here are the pictures to prove it:

15" C2D Macbook Pro (Glossy Screen) vs. 24" C2D iMac (Matte Screen)

24" iMac:

15" Macbook Pro:

24" iMac and 15" Macbook Pro side by side:

( Last edited by thiagofll; Nov 1, 2006 at 11:24 PM. )
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by thiagofll View Post
Here are the pictures I promised.

BTW I don't understand how people talk s*** all the time about glare on the glossy screens, when the worse distraction came from Matte Screen which goes completely dull when a strong light hits it...

The glossy screen is the closest you can get to a desktop screen...

Here are the pictures to prove it:

15" C2D Macbook Pro (Glossy Screen) vs. 24" C2D iMac (Matte Screen)

24" iMac:

15" Macbook Pro:

24" iMac and 15" Macbook Pro side by side:

wow those are interesting photos. Im not seeing the difference between the two color wise, but i can definitely see glossy is better handling the flash from your camera. I guess i do have to see them in person to really see the difference.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by thiagofll View Post
In non-photoflash situations, all of the Mac glossy screens I've seen were fine until you had lighting from a particular, rather broad angle and you were viewing from another specific (though also very broad) angle. Then the glare was awful, and moving the display didn't change the effect very much at all.

I wouldn't call my personal experience "talking s***" in any case, nor the personal experience of anyone else for that matter. It's just rude to do so. Your experience being different doesn't make it more valid than other people's.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2006, 10:36 AM

MATTE for me

did not like glossy at all

Cerebros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 11:07 AM

Matte for me on my C2D MacBook Pro. I had a MacBook and I won't miss the glossy screen at all.

SurfSkateJeep
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 09:46 PM

i went with matte

Burn
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 09:26 PM

Glossy for me. I work in 100% light controlled rooms and it is glorious. Even out and about.. the reflection is there, but looks much like a modern anti-reflective coating...

Please... for the love of well... something.. it makes me laugh to hear ppl say "art or design people are going to hate glossy because the colours are off......."

Ever heard of calibration? This statement is just so wrong. I don't understand why ppl keep saying it... it's like some retailers must keep throwing that out there or something, or someone who doesn't know any better, because it's just wrong.

allenranger2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Please... for the love of well... something.. it makes me laugh to hear ppl say "art or design people are going to hate glossy because the colours are off......."

Ever heard of calibration? This statement is just so wrong. I don't understand why ppl keep saying it... it's like some retailers must keep throwing that out there or something, or someone who doesn't know any better, because it's just wrong.
This has absolutely nothing to do with calibration. This is with the actual projection of the colors by the coating on the glossy screen. If you need a particular shade of a blue, on the glossy it may look a little brighter. If you "calibrate" your glossy screen, that means you may take away some color from DVD movies or whatever else you're doing. Glossy is not "true" color, granted they are stunning and vivid, for those doing this professionally, it does not make our job easier.

Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 10:58 PM

matte for me, even with the superfluous t and e

drp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 12:07 AM

I have a matte screen... however I ordered my MBP as soon as they could be ordered after Jobs' keynote. Glossy wasn't an option.

Given the choice today, I'd still probably choose the matte screen. All of the LCD displays I've used over the years have been matte, so it's what I'm used to.

santander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

are there any long term issues with the glossy screen? what is creating the glossy effect? is it polished glass? or is it soft plastic. i am worried the glossy effect over time will wear off when cleaning the screen from fingerprints and dust. that is why i am thinking about going for matte.

Burn
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by allenranger2 View Post
Glossy is not "true" color, granted they are stunning and vivid, for those doing this professionally, it does not make our job easier.
This would be true if a laptop LCD (matte or glossy) had the capability of showing "true color". I could make the exact same argument between a matte LCD and a CRT display - there are too many subjective issues that weight out the other. Glossy is as "true" as a matte display in the whole context of it all. It is mostly subjective to each individual's own perception and understanding of how colour and colour displays work and what they're most comfortable working with (as drp just mentioned).

glhart
Nov 7, 2006, 12:17 AM

For me the most important thing is that the display be easy on your eyes and not induce eyestrain. Some people have said that glossy screens strain their eyes after an hour or so, while matte ones do not.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2006, 06:18 AM

My 15 PB has a matte screen, my wife's 13 MB has a glossy, and my new 15 MBP C2D was ordered with a glossy screen. After using the MBP side by side with my PB i prefer the glossy screen. Vibrant colors and no lost pixels.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 11:49 PM

this debate hurts my head. it cant be won.

cypark621  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 12:54 AM

I know i said glossy than matte, but now im back to the beginning all over again. after literaly weeks and weeks of researching i think glossy is the best choice for me. ive read on some forum that the matte screen has some uneven lighting, which made me change my decision to glossy. GLOSSY it is for me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 04:07 AM

My new glossy 15" C2D MBP has perfectly even lighting.

kerisabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 04:10 AM

Glossy FTW!
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

antoinasia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 06:16 AM

i went with matte..
I don't want to be sitting in public with my laptop, trying not to make eye contact with the people behind me who are staring at my screen... that can get creepy

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2006, 06:34 AM

i have a matte powerbook 15" and a glossy mbp 17" at work. i have to say that the colors are better on the glossy BUT the screen seems darker.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 08:04 AM

Is there really a difference between the two or is it just a personal preference?

Forum Links
Forum Rules