Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best OS 9 Compatible AGP Graphics Card

Best OS 9 Compatible AGP Graphics Card
quicksilverG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 01:54 PM

I've got a Quicksilver dual 1GHz with the original Geforce4 MX. Thinking about upgrading the graphics card but I have some OS 9 only hardware and software that I occasionally play with.

Whats the best graphics card I can get that has acceleration under OS 9?

I have a PC Radeon 9100 64MB PCI that I bought long ago to flash for another Mac. I was just looking at info on it last night and saw that after flashing it works in OS X but has no acceleration in 9 due to the lack of a true Mac driver for it.

I'm definitely open to flashing a PC card for the Quicksilver if will still work decently under 9.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2006, 05:32 PM

Get a Radeon 9600 or 9800, something that has Mac drivers. I believe that for both of these, you can flash a PC version. There's been threads on flashing Radeon 9600's and 9800's in this forum.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Get a Radeon 9600 or 9800, something that has Mac drivers. I believe that for both of these, you can flash a PC version. There's been threads on flashing Radeon 9600's and 9800's in this forum.

So, if a man had a G5, with a Radeon 9600 card in it, and a Quicksilver G4, then you could perhaps switch out the 9600 to the G4, and get a new card for the G5.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 01:29 AM

I believe the fastest video card for os9 is the Ti4600. It's not the easiest card to flash as there aren't generic ROMs for them. But I think a couple of the strangedogs mods will convert your ROM for you (probably for free if you ask very nicely).

I think the latest ATI cards with real drivers for os9 were the ATI 9000. (or 9200-I'm not 100% sure about ATI cards). But I'm not sure if the ATI displays software is available any more for os9.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 08:37 PM

Yes, I also believe the fastest video card for OS 9 is the GeForce4 Ti 4600.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Forum Links
Forum Rules