Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to find open ports

How to find open ports
konstantinos88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 04:22 PM

Hello, I would like to know if there is any quick way to find open ports in my university's network. I am trying to use Transmission here, and it's obvious that P2P is not allowed...

I have configured iChat to work by changing the port (since they disallowed AIM as well), but I obtained that port from a fellow student.

Might anybody know how to find a port that would allow me to use Transmission? (the trial-and-error method will take way too long and I don't have that much time...)

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 04:39 PM

You should be able to scan your school's domain for open ports. I am not on my mac right now, but I think the network utility even has a nice GUI for doing this.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 05:48 PM

Ask network-oriented questions in the Networking forum. I'll move you there.

By the way, if they have bothered to close "some" ports, it's likely they've closed almost all of 'em. It is their network, you know, and you probably signed an agreement that says you'll follow their rules, so you are probably stuck.

And I dearly hope you aren't planning to be one of those folks that sits in class and chats while other students are trying to listen to the lecture! That bugs the crap out of me! I had one classmate that actually played solitaire on his PC laptop during Abnormal Psych! What a jerk-particularly since he sat way down front and I couldn't' help but see his screen as he played. It's rude to the instructor and rude to your fellow students. Chatting in the dorm or in the common areas is a completely different thing though...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

konstantinos88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 04:36 PM

Sorry for having made you move the thread--I know that's annoying / a pain.

My goal, however, is not to be "one of those folks" that uses iChat in class--I do that outside of class, but that's besides the point--iChat already works, anyway. My goal is to be able to use Transmission in and out of class...

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2007, 06:55 PM

Moving a thread for a new member is not a problem-it's the old hands who post in the wrong place that bother me. In any case, I can't help with Transmission, since I don't know anything about it... I'm sure someone will chime in soon about it though.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by konstantinos88 View Post
Hello, I would like to know if there is any quick way to find open ports in my university's network. I am trying to use Transmission here, and it's obvious that P2P is not allowed...

I have configured iChat to work by changing the port (since they disallowed AIM as well), but I obtained that port from a fellow student.

Might anybody know how to find a port that would allow me to use Transmission? (the trial-and-error method will take way too long and I don't have that much time...)
you can scan for open ports in network utility.but you can just use the same port as you use for ichat . i do it all the time.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2007, 04:53 PM

For iChat, if it's blocked, I just change it to port 80 which seems to work almost 100% of the time at any location.

-Ben

ewiser
Mar 22, 2007, 07:14 AM

Open Port Check Tool
will tell you what ports are blocked.

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2007, 07:22 AM

Just use the Networking Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities). It has a port checker. Just enter an IP address and a port range (if you want), that's all.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules