Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can you sync documents with .mac?

Can you sync documents with .mac?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 02:33 PM

I see how .mac can sync bookmarks, ical, address book, and mail. Can it as well sync your documents folder? I'm not concerned about videos, music, and pictures since I don't update them often but I'm always on the go or at home updating documents and would like if they could be synced through .mac. If not, is there another good solution for the mac to sync documents?
I want to add also, for syncing between multiple macs can you do this with one single .mac account or do you need a family pack for the multiple macs?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 05:52 PM

No, not by default. You can put stuff on your iDisk and set up multiple machines to automatically sync with the iDisk.

k2director
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 12:44 AM

If you subscribe to .Mac, you just have to enable iDisk synching (through the System Preferences pane). Turn iDisk Syncing on, and choose the "Automatically" option.

Then, you'll see an iDisk mounted in the Finder, like any volumen. Drop the docs you wish to sync into your iDisk's documents folder, and they'll sync up with any other Mac that you've set up to sync with that .Mac account.

Create an alias for your iDisk's Documents folder, and put it in your Finder's toolbar, for easy access.

Sorry if this is a little rushed, I'm rushing out the door. But it works great. I sync the same docs to 3 different macs.

plamparello
Nov 9, 2007, 08:27 PM

I know this is an old post, but is there any way to do almost a three way sync with a particular document folder, your idisk, and then the idisk online hard drive. Basically, I know I can work off the local copy of the idisk, i'm just paranoid that something can happen with the automatic syncing and I'd loose data.
plamparello

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 08:46 PM

iDisk is an online hard drive. I'm not following your question... If you don't want to work off of your local copy, open the copy on your iDisk. Again, I'm not sure I'm on the same page here though...

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

I know this is an old post,
Only on Teh IntarWebz is a five day old post considered old!
If I follow your question, Sync doesn't sync your Documents folder. It will sync Safari bookmarks, Mail, iCal, etc. But not the actual documents and contents of your Documents folder. You can see the options in System Preferences --> .Mac --> Sync.
Placing a file in the Documents folder of your iDisk will allow you to open, modify, change, save that file from multiple locations on multiple computers. But only if it is on the iDisk, not if the file is local on any of those machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules