Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > easy way to cut/trim .mpg files?

easy way to cut/trim .mpg files?
austeros
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 09:17 PM

Will someone please recommend an easy way to cut/trim some video from a .mpg file? I got some files off my tivo, but there are 5 minutes of commercials at the end of each one which I would like to remove before encoding with the Turbo264 device. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Cold Warrior
Jan 8, 2008, 09:36 PM

Will iMovie accept them?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 09:55 PM

Quicktime Pro allows easy cut/paste/copy in movies.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 10:15 PM

Download MPEG StreamClip... iMovie would require transcoding, QuickTime requires paying for Pro and again for MPEG2.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 10:47 PM

According to this site and Wikipedia, ".mpg" is MPEG-1 while ".mpv2" (aka ".m2p" or ".m2v")is MPEG-2 which would require the Apple MPEG-2 CODEC. Of course, it would make more sense to use MPEG-2.

Why not try opening the suspect .mpg file in QuickTime and see if it works? If not, then go for a free solution, otherwise get QuickTime Pro (which is very useful).

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 12:47 AM

quicktime wouldn't open the files - gave me a "This file is not a movie file" error. iMovie also wouldnt accept it, stating that "quicktime could not parse it."

I'll check out MPEG StreamClip - but would paying for mpeg-2 and quicktime pro do the trick? would it let me edit out commercials from other files as well? thanks again

There's someone in my head but its not me...

ewiser
Jan 9, 2008, 08:13 AM

A tivo file has a tivo wrapper that must be removed before it can be edited. Check in the Tivo users board.
TiVo Community

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
According to this site and Wikipedia, ".mpg" is MPEG-1 while ".mpv2" (aka ".m2p" or ".m2v")is MPEG-2 which would require the Apple MPEG-2 CODEC. Of course, it would make more sense to use MPEG-2.
Which is nice in theory but does nothing to prevent people from putting MPEG2 content in an .mpg container.

Originally Posted by austeros View Post
I'll check out MPEG StreamClip - but would paying for mpeg-2 and quicktime pro do the trick? would it let me edit out commercials from other files as well? thanks again
Maybe, maybe not. QuickTime tends to be pretty brittle with regard to handling slightly nonstandard files, and the file from the TiVo may not be perfectly to spec.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Which is nice in theory but does nothing to prevent people from putting MPEG2 content in an .mpg container.

Maybe, maybe not. QuickTime tends to be pretty brittle with regard to handling slightly nonstandard files, and the file from the TiVo may not be perfectly to spec.
Right, I thought MPEG-1 wouldn't make much sense and trust the extension would help identify it, maybe not though. I've had good luck with QuickTime Pro with many formats (using free third-party plug-ins), but an all-in-one, free solution may be best...at least worth trying first.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 01:27 PM

I've found that MPEG StreamClip handles many files that QuickTime Pro would choke on. I have and use both, for different applications.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules