Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Einstein credit ratio sucks like a black hole

Einstein credit ratio sucks like a black hole
Billy
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 09:22 AM

Since the new work units have come out, they take 50% longer and give 30% less credit.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 11:48 AM

I quit Einstein quite some time ago when they cut the credits awarded per work unit. They claimed they were aligning granted credits with SETI. Problem is, they were aligning with the stock SETI client, and most of us, PC and MAC, run optimized SETI clients, so for us, Einstein is awarding half as much credit for the same work. Try Milky Way. Crunch3r made up an optimized client for the Intel Macs that lets us compete on an even footing with the Linux boxes.

beadman

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 12:03 PM

What is the credit? I mean, I'm new to this - what do you do with it?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 6, 2008, 03:43 PM

They're kind of like improvements on a car. You accumulate them, and use them to lord over those with lower totals.

They also provide a running score of how much you have helped the world of science. At present, DC credits do not have any tax significance, but I would not be surprised if that changed some day. Mainly, if a few of the DC projects made big breakthroughs.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 08:31 PM

As Reader50 says: it's a means of measuring how much science you have contributed time and money toward. This is why I believe it's best to use an optimized app - I can do more science for the same computer clock cycles/electricity. The Distributed Computing concept allows individuals to contribute toward science goals even though they are not scientists or have a lot of money. And... It's also sometimes used for ego-stroking (I'm doing more than you - neener, neener, neener! ). I think that most turn it on and forget about it, knowing that they are helping science by allowing use of their computer.

beadman

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2008, 10:07 AM

If you are going to waste electricity running your computer on DC projects, you might as well do it efficiently as possible.

Credits help me decide where my computer is most useful. PC's may be better on certain projects and Mac's on others.

I have 15 projects under the Boinc manager and alot computer resources based partially on credits and partially on a value judgment and partially on whim.

Forum Links
Forum Rules