Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which one spray is best for the bed liner

Which one spray is best for the bed liner
eric24
Baninated
Q&A spammer
Apr 6, 2009, 05:39 AM

I am looking for input on spray on bed liners, Qwikliner vs Line-X in particular. I have seen them before in other people's trucks. I want to hear from people who have had personal experiences with them. Which one is better and why, cost, etc...

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 6, 2009, 06:37 AM

Everyone I know who used Line-X was satisfied.

lexapro
Baninated
Apr 6, 2009, 08:21 AM

What are they?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
What are they?

(In Before jokes about ‘spraying’ things on ‘beds’)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 08:30 AM

What are they?
A think paint like substance that the consumer can "spray" onto their truck's bed to line them, providing a protective surface. This is useful when the bed of truck may (or already has) get scratched or abused from usage. Typically its less expensive then a typical bed liner and it has other advantages over a typical bed liner such as not needing to drill holes to install it.

My main concern with a spray on bed liner is the look afterwards. The marketing material makes it look easy the results professional looking yet, I've seen a number of them that looked less then professional.
~Mike

Railroader
Banned
Apr 6, 2009, 08:31 AM

What are they?
Here

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2009, 09:29 AM

In my experience, people who went with a professionally applied liner were much happier; the pro stuff seems to be more robust and is usually applied by people who have enough experience to get the material in all the nooks and crannies so the liner works great.

There's one called "Rhino-" something that is done around here that seems to be quite popular.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 12:08 PM

Haven't we had bed liner spam on this forum before?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid again.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 12:34 PM

The two big companies in my area are Rhino Liner and Line-X. I chose Line-X because it's franchised. If something happens to the bed liner (if it cracks or peels or something) you can take it to any dealer that does Line-X. With Rhino Liner you have to take it back to the place where you had it installed. This can be handy if you're on a trip or if the shop you went to went out of business.

Rhino Liner has a more rubber feeling and has better grip. Line-X is harder and doesn't grip as well. There are arguments for both types, but being able to go to any Line-X shop for free repairs tipped the scale for me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2009, 12:39 PM

line-x has been VERY favorably mentioned in my offroad club (members usually use it to coat outside body panels)

oisin, that picture you linked to looks like a bed liner coating that improves the already existing plastic beadliner... line-X is a spray in paint like product that goes directly on the metal of the truck bed.

-zach

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 12:45 PM

To be more clear: Rhino Liner warranty is covered by the shop, Line-X warranty is covered by the Line-X parent company. So if your Rhino dealer goes out of business, you're out of luck. No more free warranty repairs. If your Line-X dealer goes out of business, you just go to the next Line-X dealer.

Also, since Line-X covers warranty costs, it'll probably be easier to get repairs on questionably damaged liners because the shop owner will get his money no matter what. With Rhino, the shop owner takes full responsibility of warranty claims. They may be less likely to fix liners that were damaged in a questionable way not necessarily covered by the warranty.

I never even heard about Qwik Liner until today.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 12:52 PM

I'm with Glenn in wanting a professionally applied job to be done. Partly because I have a Honda Ridgeline and that has composite panels instead of metal. In theory it was a great idea, in practice they can scratch pretty easily. The upside of the composite is while it does scratches, it will not rust. The other reason why I'd select a professional application as opposed to home applied is that the Ridgeline has that trunk in the bed of the truck.

Again a great idea and I use it all the time, but I've read reports of people applying the bedliner paint and now the trunk doesn't stay open because of the added weight of the paint.
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I never even heard about Qwik Liner until today.
I strongly suspect that this was the actual point of this thread.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I strongly suspect that this was the actual point of this thread.
That's my feeling as well, but at least we're having fun with it, eh?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2009, 06:57 PM

I am still waiting for a brand new member with strong opinions to post.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2009, 10:50 PM

Get it professionally done. And make sure they prep the surface really good before spraying it in. I work at a shop and we spray bedliners and very thoroughly sand all surfaces beforehand. The actual spraying of the liner takes 15-20 minutes but sanding, masking, layout, etc takes much longer. Alot of shops skip the sanding, and use a DA sander with 80 grit and skim over the surfaces and then spray in the liner. Doing that guarantees that it will fail, usually sooner than later.

bill014
Baninated
Q&A spammer
Apr 11, 2009, 01:58 AM

For me, a product is more than the thing you buy. When I went with [blah blah], I was so impressed with the presentation, installation, service and quality of the bedliner. It all added up to a great product. After the lining was installed, I naturally started to notice other spray-on linings and bed-liner solutions in other trucks. None of them looked as good.

Oh, and I just wanted to mention your members rock here. Our important messages stay up on most boards. But here, we get nailed right away. Life is tough.
( Last edited by reader50; Apr 11, 2009 at 05:29 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2009, 02:51 AM

AH - There he is!

(Now burn them both and edit out the references to their spammed product?)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2009, 04:22 AM

Wow, five days. Spamming with patience.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 11, 2009, 10:42 AM

I have the suspicion that the second post was done by a long time member as a joke.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I have the suspicion that the second post was done by a long time member as a joke.
Apparently not. This user has all the hallmarks of a "real" spammer. I wouldn't put this sort of thing past some of our members, but this time it seems to be a very patient spammer.

Besides, our beloved members would have made it a more interesting post, too. Probably add stuff about how their chosen brand protected their truck against exotic animals' claws and droppings, or how it kept the aliens from successfully landing in their truck or something. I think we're all too clever for our own good some times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules