Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Has anyone done the LIVE iPhone v Droid comparison

Has anyone done the LIVE iPhone v Droid comparison
iAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2009, 04:24 PM

For all the hype, how do they really stack up in a users hands. People are raving, but 90% of the raves are from people who have yet to use a Droid.

I want the truth!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 04:32 PM

Honestly, you can't compare the two. They both do somewhat similar things, but go about them in very different ways. I like the Droid and the iPhone, it's really up to personal preference.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 05:13 PM

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2009, 05:22 PM

appleinsider has a 3-part series comparing Apple's strategy with iPhone OS and Google's Android OS (which drives the moto Droid). Reading those three, it's convinced me that Android is likely going to have a niche future, one substantially limited by its and Google's inherent disincentives to make the ecosystem into something more like the iPhone.

AppleInsider | Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as advancing technology (part 3 of 3)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 12:09 AM

I think Google is going to do quite well replacing stupid Symbian and Windows Mobile but it will never be as good as the iPhone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 01:36 PM

It probably won't need to be, though, to outpace the iPhone in the market.

As a very pleased iPhone owner, I'm all for competition keeping a fire lit under Apple's ass.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2009, 02:52 AM

I got the HTC Eris when it came out last month. It's a bit smaller than the Motorola Droid, and the stock OS is Android 1.5 (though OTA to 2.0 or 2.1 was just announced for early 2010). Also, it's processor is slower.

The Eris is a pretty solid device. HTC integrates its Sense UI, so there's a lot of Apple-like feel (pinch to zoom stuff). Also, the onboard typing is the best of the keyboardless phones I've tried. There's haptic feedback on the key stokes as well, which is a nice touch.

It's no iPhone, but it's no slouch, either. It's my only phone, so I had to stick w/ Verizon due to coverage quality in my area. But I'm generally happy with it. I miss my Treo's keyboard, but I wasn't impressed enough with Motorola Droid's keyboard to have that inclusion be my deciding factor. Sense UI probably made the sale in my case. Maneuvering around the HTC Eris seems so much more instinctive and smooth than the Droid.

Cold Warrior
Dec 19, 2009, 11:46 AM

This article is sort of ominous. I'd hate to have purchased a smartphone in part for quick-access search functionality, only to have my carrier silently gut it. Verizon snuffs Google for Microsoft search • The Register

Verizon has unilaterally updated user Storm 2 BlackBerries and other smartphones so that their browser search boxes can only be used with Microsoft Bing.
Previously, the search box - baked into the top of Verizon's browser, above the url address bar - could be set to search Google, Wikipedia, and other sites.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2009, 11:49 AM

Eris is the Greek goddess of strife and chaos...I wonder if HTC knew that when they chose that name. In any case, I'm with Spheric Harlot on keeping Apple on their toes through competition.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This article is sort of ominous. I'd hate to have purchased a smartphone in part for quick-access search functionality, only to have my carrier silently gut it. Verizon snuffs Google for Microsoft search • The Register
This is why VZW sucks ass. I hate that.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 04:40 PM

My best friend got a Droid recently and is completely infatuated with it - much the way I was when I got my iPhone.

I used one at a Verizon store and was quite impressed with it. There's a 99% chance I'm going to switch back to VZW and get a Droid (or whatever is current) when my contract is up in a year.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
This is why VZW sucks ass. I hate that.

Add that to my "why I love the iPhone with AT&T" list.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It probably won't need to be, though, to outpace the iPhone in the market.
Why would you say that? I just don't see the logic. Are you suggesting that with equal costs, people will intentionally choose an inferior product? If the Droid were cheaper I might agree with you, but not at the same price point.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
My best friend got a Droid recently and is completely infatuated with it - much the way I was when I got my iPhone.

I used one at a Verizon store and was quite impressed with it. There's a 99% chance I'm going to switch back to VZW and get a Droid (or whatever is current) when my contract is up in a year.
I wasn't that impressed when I was using one at a Verizon store, honestly. The virtual keyboard is much too sensitive for my tastes and hard to use as a result, and the physical keyboard isn't that much better. The interface is cluttered and less intuitive, and Verizon's data network doesn't seem all that fast.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 07:44 PM

It doesn't have the app library the iPhone does. It doesn't sync with iTunes and my media the way the iPhone does. It doesn't seamlessly sync contacts and calendars over MobileMe. The iPhone is more than just a device.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Why would you say that? I just don't see the logic. Are you suggesting that with equal costs, people will intentionally choose an inferior product? If the Droid were cheaper I might agree with you, but not at the same price point.
a) I'm assuming it'll eventually be cheaper
b) AT&T
c) *perceived* (bullet-point) functionality is better than real functionality, at least until the sale is made. If it has a hardware keyboard, that's better, right?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 09:58 PM

a) The iPhone 3g is $99. Droid can't be much cheaper than that, at least not enough to make a difference.

b) No comment on that one. AT&T is working out well enough for me.

c) The iPhone has as many bullet points as the droid, like simultaneous voice and data. The physical keyboard is a detriment in my opinion. It adds weight, moving parts, modes of failure, and it's been roundly criticized.

This isn't Mac versus PC. People bought PCs because they were cheap and it's what their friends and coworkers had. The iPhone is what people's friends and coworkers have now.

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2009, 03:23 PM

With the imminent arival of the Google phone (N1); I think this will be the phone people will be looking at when deciding between iPhone and Android. Although specs alone won't do it. The iPhone has been such a game changer, to think that a company that was new to the moble phone market could come in and not just do well but take over. Smart phones and touch phones are no longer fringe but main stream. Apple did that and they did it not by having the best specs but by making a beautiful, fun & useful phone that was easy for the non tec oriented use. Android will have to do that and do it better if it hopes to steal the market from iPhone. I don't think Android is in that position yet.
It's all good though because a serious contender is just what is needed to keep Apple on it's toes and ensure iPhone continues to be the best in it's class. Others might come along and do it cheaper but no one should be able to it better. With the head start, financial clout and R&D mussel Apple have if some one does(Google), Apple can have only them self's to blame.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tupsy0 View Post
With the head start, financial clout and R&D mussel Apple have...
*chuckle*

-t

Cold Warrior
Dec 30, 2009, 06:12 PM

Now you have to worry about which model from which carriers you'd buy an Android OS phone from. Some may give you updates, others won't. Samsung's Galaxy stuck in history • The Register

CaraHellend
Baninated
Dec 31, 2009, 05:39 AM

Really a educative and informative post, the post is good in all regards,I am glad to read this post.

[ wow, lowcost steroids link ]
( Last edited by reader50; Dec 31, 2009 at 06:18 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by CaraHellend View Post
I am glad to read this post.
I am glad to report this post... as spam.

-t

ewiser
Dec 31, 2009, 06:19 AM

I have used the Droid there are several with the Droid at work. I of them feel it is a second choice device. Most have it because they have Verizon contact or their wife has a company contract and it is cheaper than switching to AT&T. One Droid owner switched from an iPhone to a Droid and is praying for Verizon to get an iPhone now.
Hopefully Apple will open the iPhone to all carriers so everyone will have access.
This to me is what holds people back from purchasing an iPhone. Just as the PPC processor held the Mac back from users. When Apple switched to Intel processors the flood gates opened and the average PC user could see how much better the Mac was and why not switch. Apple needs to drop the AT&T EXCLUSIVITY AGREEMENT as soon as it runs out. Once everyone has access to the choice between iPhone and Droid the weath of app's and the whole iPod accessory ecosystem is an easy choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules