Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Alfa AWUS036H USB Wireless Adapter

Alfa AWUS036H USB Wireless Adapter
quicksilverG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2008, 11:26 PM

I just got an Alfa AWUS036H high power USB wireless adapter. It works *great* on my PC laptop, picks up everything!

But I can't get it working on my iMac under 10.5.4.

I tried the Realtek RTL81878 driver (v1.4.7) on the CD that came with it. It installed, I could see under Network preferences as Ethernet Adapter 2 (ea2) and the Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility would show networks detected and occasionally it would connect, Network preferences would show en2 with a DHCP assigned IP address. Then it would immediately drop the connection. I tried my own network and some that were open, same results. The signals were 80%+ and like I said this worked great on the PC.

After finding nothing but a Vista driver on Alfa's website I downloaded the RTL81878B driver from Realtek (v1.5.1). The older driver said it was for 10.4 so I wondered if that was the issue, but the new one specifically said 10.4 and 10.5 during the install. Oh, I did remember to use the uninstall script from the first version before installing the new one.

Now the adapter shows up under Network preferences but the client won't launch - just keeps bouncing until I force quit.

SteelerFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 05:50 AM

Your right, the drivers for mac are for 10.4.x and do not work with 10.5.5

I had a hard time finding the right drivers too. I will gladly send them to VIA aim or email? The drivers do work on 10.5.5 (that's what I'm currently running on my MacBook) I can't recall where I actually found the drivers or I'd send you the link.
I can also confirm that this high powered adapter works GREAT! (with some extra help of a Yagi antenna!) I don't have problems with the client starting.

~Lori

3eagles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 07:52 AM

I'm having the same problem, but with a small twist. My old Powerbook G4 works great with the driver running 10.5.5, but my new MacBook Pro with 10.5.5 does not. Would this have something to do with the intel processor? Can someone post the link to download the driver that works with new Macs?! Any idea why I can't get both machines to work?

Thanks!

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 10:14 PM

Lori, that would be great! I'll send you a PM.

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2008, 11:41 PM

I tried the driver linked in the post below and it seems to work. Its v 1.5.1 vs 1.5.1A that I tried before.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiver...hp/t75301.html

Bill3408
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2008, 01:08 PM

Seems some folks are having trouble getting the MAC drivers for the ALFA USB device.

It's simple but sort of hidden on the distribution CD.
I don't have the details in front of me but I installed the drivers and client utility very easily.
Open the CD with Finder, search through the folders (if I had it right in front of me I'd be more specific) for a folder that has USB in its name. Then you can look in there for the "install package", install it and you should be okay.

If you bought the ALFA unit through Netgate.com they have the details.

asmithee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2008, 05:02 PM

Hi,

Just moved my laptop into a wooden cabinet and it significantly reduce the wireless transfer rate. My question is, can I add an external USB adapter or will it not work because of Apple's build in adapter? By adding an adapter with a wire, i can locate the adapter outside the cabinet. Thank you.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2008, 09:35 PM

The adapter will work assuming there are drivers available for it. OS X doesn't have hardware conflicts.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

asmithee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2008, 03:38 AM

Thank you Big Mac.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 07:44 AM

In case people are searching for other USB WiFi adaptors, I've just installed a DLINK DWA-140 on a Mac Pro running 10.5.5 and it works well once you've installed the drivers. A config program appears in System Preferences.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWA-140

driver - http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...&sec=0#drivers

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2009, 04:44 PM

hi there Lori and quicksiverG4,

Please help me. I have the same problem with my macbook also... Mac OS X 10.5. I have the same situation with quicksilver, I already installed the driver of realtek for 10.4/10.5 but it just keep on bouncing and bouncing... When i open the network preference, I see the ethernet en2 connected with ip address and subnet mask and says self-assigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet...im really hopeless..pls help... my email is <email removed>
( Last edited by seanc; Feb 8, 2009 at 05:17 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Feb 8, 2009, 04:53 PM

Posting your email address is a great way to get lots of spam.

Also, the point of a forum is so people solve problems publicly, not one-on-one over email, so that we can all benefit.

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 06:20 AM

I am sorry for my post but im really hopeless now to solve my problem... ;( Im just using windows now in my macbook.

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2009, 06:51 AM

any updates of this forum? please help...

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2009, 05:47 AM

Please reply this forum I really need it.....

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2009, 09:16 AM

chemron,

A "self assigned" IP address (usually starting with 169) means that the computer is set to obtain an address via DHCP and either the server it was looking for doesn't exist or didn't respond. Take a look at the network settings for this adapter in Windows and make sure you have things like gateway address set the same in OS X.

Once you do that, come back and tell us what happened.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peribonca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2009, 10:28 PM

I just got the AWUS036H USB Adapter and installed the driver for Mac 10.4 (my macbook is running 10.4.11). My Network Status indicates that "Aiport is connected to a network and that I'm connected to the Internet via airport". Also in Network Status I see the the "Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is currently active and has the IP address 192.xxx.xx.x

It doesn't seem like I have gotten any increased reception from the USB adapter. If I turn Airport off the Network Status states that " Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is currently active and has the IP address 192.xxx.xx.x You are connected to the Internet via Ethernet Adaptor (en3)" However, when I try to view a website nothing shows up even though the Realtek Client WLAN utility shows I am "connected" to a network and that the signal strength bar looks like it's over 50%

What can I do to get this adapter to work?

Thanks,

Peribonca

Bugje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

Hello, my Engels is not verry well.

I have a macbook pro whit osx 10.5 and it works with Alfa awuso36H with the drivers from:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...=true#RTL8187L

Down under the page is a download for the Mac 10.5 there are 4 downoads site's possibles. All 1117 2008-2-27 but only 1 is Good ? and 3 are bad ???
1-Site 1
2-Site 2
3-Site 3
4-express

2 of this are bad and dont work.
1 works buth is very slow (wifi speed is slow)
1 works perfect.whit full download speed.
I dont no what are the good 1 your must try it.....sorry.

Good luck and sorry for my bath Englische.

Rob.
( Last edited by Bugje; Apr 25, 2009 at 01:52 PM. )

Bugje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2009, 04:02 PM

See nekst review from Bugje...you cot the wrong driver.

Originally Posted by peribonca View Post
I just got the AWUS036H USB Adapter and installed the driver for Mac 10.4 (my macbook is running 10.4.11). My Network Status indicates that "Aiport is connected to a network and that I'm connected to the Internet via airport". Also in Network Status I see the the "Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is currently active and has the IP address 192.xxx.xx.x

It doesn't seem like I have gotten any increased reception from the USB adapter. If I turn Airport off the Network Status states that " Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is currently active and has the IP address 192.xxx.xx.x You are connected to the Internet via Ethernet Adaptor (en3)" However, when I try to view a website nothing shows up even though the Realtek Client WLAN utility shows I am "connected" to a network and that the signal strength bar looks like it's over 50%

What can I do to get this adapter to work?

Thanks,

Peribonca

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2009, 07:29 PM

USB Wireless Adapters are too much trouble.

I'd get an Ethernet Wireless Adapter. No drivers required. They are configured via a web browser.

Bugje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2009, 03:53 AM

I Got no trouble whit my usb wireles adapter Alfa awuso36H.
See my early post..Bugje.

Whit Kismac your must uninstall the drivers from awuso36H, Kismac works not whit the drivers for de Alfa..Kismac need no drivers it works oly whitout the drivers.

Bugje.

Macbook pro osx 10.5.6 Alfa awuso36H

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
chemron,

A "self assigned" IP address (usually starting with 169) means that the computer is set to obtain an address via DHCP and either the server it was looking for doesn't exist or didn't respond. Take a look at the network settings for this adapter in Windows and make sure you have things like gateway address set the same in OS X.

Once you do that, come back and tell us what happened.
It did not work in my macbook... I aready put the same IP address in windows, same gateway and same subnet mask but still didnt work... I used "configure manually" instead of using DHCP because if using DHCP the IP address is different, it starts woth 169..

Please help, i want to use the mac application...

chemron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 05:57 AM

In the network preference, it says im connected under the ethernet with color green but if ill open the safari or internet browser, i cant connect to it and says "you are not connected to the internet". What will i do? plss help me... I hope u can send me a private message so that I can meet you in skype or other messengers...

Please help ;(

snowwhite77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2009, 11:24 PM

I have the same problem as Peribonca! I also installed the driver for Mac 10.4 (macbook is running on 10.4.11), but I don't seem to be getting any increase of reception through the Alfa Awuso 36H.
I can see an "Ethernet Adapter (en2) in my System Preferences, is that what it's supposed to look like? Is an "Ethernet Adapter" supposed to strengthen the signal for wireless? I obviously have no idea...
Peribonca, will you please let me know whether you get the USB Adapter to work? And how?!
THANK YOU!!!

Azraella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2010, 02:26 PM

There is a mini CD that comes with Alfa AWUSO36H and my MacBook 10.5.8 does not take mini CDs
Can anyone tell me a reliable source to download the driver for this long range adapter

thank you very much

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2010, 08:43 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the driver is fine under 10.6 but the "Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility" application is rubbish. I can connect to an ap but I can't modify the tcp/ip settings for the adapter in the system preferences as they are greyed out. Was anyone able to successfully connect and get an ip address from a dhcp server or manually configure an ip address ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2010, 03:50 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm late on this post but I'm still trying to figure out what exactly this does and is for....

I have a very very large printer (7800) and I'd like to eliminate the USB cable running along my floor.
Is this or another product suitable for simply creating a wireless USB connection that can send/receive data
in the same exact way that a wired USB cable can?

People on the photo forums talk about print servers, printer routers, etc... I'm hoping to find something a but simpler than that, mainly because I'm using a 3rd party RIP software as my drivers so the normal Epson drivers are not in effect now.
I also understand that sometimes range may be an issue, it wouldn't need to be more than 6-8'.

MP,4
OSX 10.6.2
Epson 7800
Imageprint v8 RIP software

Thanks thanks thanks in advance!!

Sambadeedance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 AM

Hi all, I recently got the Alfa AWUS036H from Amazon via DB Roth for my macbook, which now runs 10.6. First the mini cd doesn't play in a mac, so I downloaded the driver for 10.4/10.5/10.6 from Alfa's site. It installed successfully but the extension for rtl8187 "wasn't installed properly, please get an updated version" so it didn't work. The uninstall also didn't work, said I didn't have privileges. So I got a PC friend to let me drag the CD files onto a flash drive, installed that version (10.4) and it recognized the device in my network list but as soon as the Realtek Client Utility app opened, it froze my computer and forced me to restart. It did this every time the Alfa was plugged in. Having found DB Roth doesn't accept returns, I explored more and FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS! In the next blog is a link to download the uninstall/install driver for 10.4/10.5, but it definitely works on my 10.6. It's about halfway down, under "here for 10.4 or 10.5 Leopard."

RokBlog: Use your Alfa 500mW AWUS036H and RokAir USB adapters with Kismac

I uninstalled first to clear the previous versions, installed, and voila it worked! It will say Disconnected in the Utility app and System Pref-Network until you select a network to join via the app. Once you press connect, the alfa turns on, the green light flashes and it tells you signal strength. I turned off my airport to make sure and I was still online, able to surf.
Mine set itself up automatically in my network (suddenly appeared below airport as an option), but you can always click the plus and add it to the list from the drop-down menu if it doesn't appear. I didn't need to change any settings, but if you do just click the lock under your network list and it will ask for your password to allow you to change things.
Hope this helps others, sorry I'm not really a computer person so this isn't very technical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules