Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many suits do you own?

How many suits do you own? (Page 2)
Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I own two if you count birthday suits. The other one is for weddings and funerals or if I ever have to go to court I guess.
Haha, same here, unless you count a wetsuit and two motorbike 1 piece leather suits

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
And you do want the hot hebrew ladies noticing you, don't you?
Absolutely correct. That's one of the reasons for this thread.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 15, 2011 at 05:07 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 05:05 PM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 05:45 PM

One and I haven't worn it in about 5 years.

Not a lot of weddings, funerals or job interviews for me lately.

That's a good thing overall.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Absolutely correct. That's one of the reasons for this thread.
501s and Hawaiian shirt will get you noticed too. Especially if your competition is all wearing suits.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 06:55 PM

Never? In your life? Wow, very interesting. Don't some of you guys still wears suits at formal religious events?
Khakis and a nice shirt is as formal as you'll ever get from me. I worn a suit to my high school graduation and to my wedding ... and never again.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 08:35 PM

I have a few suits and a couple of tuxes. (lots of formal and informal band gigs)

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2011, 10:44 PM

None, ugghh! I'm with Wiskedjak, Dockers type pants and a short sleeved dress shirt for in person meetings with clients, otherwise jeans (short until temps fall below 50) with cargo pockets, T-shirt and birkenstocks. for outside the home. light shorts and T when indoors, no shoes. I do have a blue blazer for solemn occasions, which I'd pair with dark grey pants of the above variety. If absolutely needed, I have a turquoise bolo tie. Once a year, so far for the latter.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 PM

I've even twice gone to job interviews for UX design positions in jeans ... and both times received offers.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not a lot. In pants I was a 34W 32L when I graduated HS, still am and I'm over 40. I wear a 42R with an 8" drop, pretty much a standard "Athletic Cut". Been that size for many years now.
Perfect, I'm the same size! That means whenever I get a ride in your new car I can borrow a suit too. You're ok with that, right?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Perfect, I'm the same size! That means whenever I get a ride in your new car I can borrow a suit too. You're ok with that, right?
Sure man, c'mon over!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 02:24 AM

If the waistline changes, well then you'd have to adjust no matter if it's tailored or no.
For some reason, I feel like that would piss me off less if I was adjusting from a non-tailored suit.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 16, 2011, 07:49 AM

No suits right now. A while back I finally donated a suit that had fitted me years before, an I haven't replaced it. I still have a very nice jacket and a couple pairs of pants that match it well enough that I get away with looking like I'm in a suit. But I wear such clothes once in a blue moon, so it's no big deal. I do have a "formal suit" (tuxedo) that I wear now and then, mostly for dress dinners on a cruise. Interesting fact: a tux is easier to keep "current" and easier to keep adjusted to fit than a regular suit.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2011, 08:00 AM

14 for work or professional reasons
3 much more modern cut suits
2 bespoke suits
6 blazers ranging from a traditional navy w/ brass buttons to contemporary ones by Diesel
No tux yet. When I do get one however I want one of Tom Fords

And all of them are tailored. I don't know where you guys ever got the idea that off the hanger suits don't need a good amount of fitting but no matter how much you think you look fine in them you are grossly incorrect. If a suit is not tailored it fits wrong. I guarantee that to a lot of people it appears you are wearing someone else's clothes.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I suspect the Suit is slowly become obsolete in terms of men's fashion.
lol
no. I think you just need to get out more and with a better crowd.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 08:37 AM

Oh, I think there's some possible misunderstanding. I've always had my suits tailored to some extent after they come off the rack. But when it was brought up "custom tailored suits" that phrase brought to mind much more substantial alterations. I was picturing highly altered suits with very expensive alterations. The alterations I've gotten have always been minor.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM

Oh, I think there's some possible misunderstanding. I've always had my suits tailored to some extent after they come off the rack. But when it was brought up "custom tailored suits" that phrase brought to mind much more substantial alterations. I was picturing highly altered suits with very expensive alterations. The alterations I've gotten have always been minor.
Well, when I get fitted, it's me and a guy with a measuring tape. We decide on the style and materials, I'm measured, and then I'm fitted once it's finished. Most of those are made by a local tailor, but I have some that are bespoke garments by Armani and Fioravanti. Those use that season's style and best fabrics. For that type of Italian suit/tux, you'll need to be prepared for a hefty charge. Monarch/Sovereign grade suits by John H. Daniel run ~$2,500/3,500 respectively, and they're worth every penny. A bespoke Fioravanti starts at $6-8K, but can easily shoot well above that. Now, they are handsome and flawless, but it's a tag thing. I can't say they're much better than my local tailor, but they'll make you feel that way.

So, when most people buy a "fitted" suit, it's off the rack and then altered for you, and that's usually fine. However, tailoring implies that the garment is hand sewn to your specs, and those will fit better (of course). On the tailored front, JHD offers an entry grade which is still a fantastic suit, but runs a more modest $1,200-1,500, and it's probably the best value I've seen, bar none.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
no. I think you just need to get out more and with a better crowd.
No. The really good crowd doesn't bother with suits. Suits are for the lower and middle classes aiming above their station.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No. The really good crowd doesn't bother with suits. Suits are for the lower and middle classes aiming above their station.
Blah! ZZ Top was right, and I'm siding with them.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 01:16 PM

I don't trust a band calling themselves rock and running off a drum machine.

What the hell do they know about anything?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 01:31 PM

One of the most successful bands of all time, or you? Hmmm... That's difficult. Fact: most bands use drum machines at some point, including; Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, the Eagles, etc.. Tell us, what the hell do you know about anything?

Every girl's crazy `bout a sharp dressed man. It's truth, embrace it.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 02:09 PM

A custom tailored suit is a suit that is made from scratch to fit your measurements. The one we had done for my dad was about $1000, back in the 90s. I suspect it'd be 25% more than that now. I've never gotten a custom tailored suit, but my guess it'd be in the $1500 range for me (different design and possibly different fabrics).

The suits I got off the rack range from $400 to $1000, but that's on sale, with sticker prices in the $750-2000 range. Alterations are extra.

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
14 for work or professional reasons
3 much more modern cut suits
Interesting that you should mention that.

I tend to gravitate to more modern but still reasonably conservative designs and colours, and it's been fine for the business meetings and what not. However, I'm not in finance or politics or whatever. The finance people I have dealt with I have known often have much, much more conservative styling. It's weird for me to walk by a investment finance office building to see a sea of navy suits with plain ties. Often good quality suits but very little style differentiation.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 02:29 PM

Blah! ZZ Top was right, and I'm siding with them.

Allcaps

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 03:03 PM

One of the most successful bands of all time, or you? Hmmm... That's difficult. Fact: most bands use drum machines at some point, including; Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, the Eagles, etc.. Tell us, what the hell do you know about anything?

Every girl's crazy `bout a sharp dressed man. It's truth, embrace it.
I'm not disputing that. And neither the Floyd nor the Eagles used drum machines on any album that counts.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2011, 07:59 PM

One, sans tie.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
One, sans tie.
Oh yeah, I hate ties. I'll wear one, if I need to, but I lean towards collarless shirts.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 10:26 AM

I've got about 25-30 ties and I like wearing them. I've been bringing back the pocket square lately, too...my inner dandy is struggling for release.

You know the more I think about it, the more I really don't think that $500 is an exorbitant amount to spend on a made-to-measure suit at all. I guess it all depends on your income, but this is something that makes you look great, you probably need to wear depending on your job, and will last you at least a few years if not much longer. A regular off-the-rack big-box-store suit will cost you at least $250, correct...plus another $50 for various tailoring? That's not much more to spend to get something that will make other people think "hey...that's a nice suit" when they look at you.

Big Mac - PM sent.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 10:43 AM

I used to have loads when I worked in London. Only black shoes of course - brown shoes are a no-no for anyone serious in London.

Apart from weddings and funerals, I haven't worn a suit since my first day of work in France : it was August the 11th and it was 30°C (86°F). I had a dark suit, white shirt and tie. I thought that I was going to die. My boss said that I didn't need to wear a suit or a tie again, so I never did.

I don't even shave everyday for work now.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 11:12 AM

You wore black shoes with your navy or brown suits?! Egads.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2011, 11:19 AM

Brown shoes tend to say "wearer is a twat" over here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I don't even shave everyday for work now.
You're in IT, aren't you required to have a neckbeard anyway?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 11:29 AM

Cannot compute

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2011, 11:54 AM

Wearing white socks with your brown shoes will get you beaten to death with brollies and bowler hats.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2011, 12:14 PM

I trust wearing white socks with black shoes will result in a similar fate...?

I can't understand this prejudice against the colour brown.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2011, 12:19 PM

It looks like poop.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2011, 12:39 PM

Either that, or wearer is Italian.

I had an Italian explain to me that shoes and bags *must* be brown. Different customs, apparently.

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2011, 12:40 PM

Shoes and bags should match.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2011, 05:04 AM

I never owned a brown suit. I had a tweed blazer (without the elbow pads), but I never wore it for work. And yes, black shoes with dark blue suits go very well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're in IT, aren't you required to have a neckbeard anyway?
No just a bad attitude.

Its the History of Art people who have beards. And a pipe. But they work in HR or some other minor support area.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2011, 10:14 AM

No just a bad attitude.

Its the History of Art people who have beards. And a pipe. But they work in HR or some other minor support area.
I'm pretty sure only women work in HR. Obese, useless, chatty women.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2011, 10:30 AM

I never owned a brown suit. I had a tweed blazer (without the elbow pads), but I never wore it for work. And yes, black shoes with dark blue suits go very well.
Let me guess, you had only some combination of navy and dark grey suits? How...businesslike...of you.

Yeah I wear black shoes with a navy suit as well, but brown shoes definitely give it some flair. The Italian story makes some sense - I can see you Brits getting your panties in a knot over a small bit of excitement...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm pretty sure only women work in HR. Obese, useless, chatty women.
This was certainly true of the last Job Centre I ventured into.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 01:00 PM

Yeah I wear black shoes with a navy suit as well, but brown shoes definitely give it some flair. The Italian story makes some sense - I can see you Brits getting your panties in a knot over a small bit of excrement...
Fixed.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Nov 18, 2011, 01:40 PM

I own many 6, but since moving to a new locale and a new job I was told that even ties don't work around here, thus unless it's a special occasion I'm never in one anymore.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Either that, or wearer is Italian.

I had an Italian explain to me that shoes and bags *must* be brown. Different customs, apparently.
I wear tan shoes with the one black (with faint gold pin strips) suit I own and I'm English

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 08:39 PM

So you're a twat?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
So you're a twat?
Yes, he is. He just admitted it:

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
I'm English
All Englishmen are twats for one reason or another. I too, am a twat. Just without the brown shoes.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2011, 02:59 AM

Hey I represent that comment

Tiresias
Nov 22, 2011, 12:43 PM

I keep a suit in my wardrobe in case I ever have to appear before the court.

Only worn it once.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I keep a suit in my wardrobe in case I ever have to appear before the court.

Only worn it once.
A lot of times they provide you with a wardrobe free of charge.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2011, 12:56 PM

2 suits from about 8 years ago. But I have no need for such things anymore now that I walk around naked.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules