Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Thinking about wireless..which router should I get?

Thinking about wireless..which router should I get?
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 04:15 PM

I want to hook up our computers wirelessly. 2 Macs (iBook G4 & iMac G4) and one PC. Would it be easier to get an AirPort station for my situation or get another brand, like D-Link? Are non AirPort wireless routers easy to set up through a Mac? I'm looking at Non Airport stations because they are cheaper, have a bigger range, and a stronger connection. Now, wireless USB printing would be very nice, so that is a consideration for my purchases. Any suggestions?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 06:21 PM

I myself decided to go with a AirportExpress for my network, partially because of AirTunes (things sound so nice going through the optical connection to my stereo), and partially because it is just simpler to go though the Airport Admin Utility than to play with web-based interfaces.

I have setup a number of access points, and so far every one of them has worked through at least one of the browsers I keep on my computers (IE, Safari, OmniWeb, Camino, Firefox)... although a couple of times it has been a chase through that list... I also use the AirportAdmin Utilities through a PC, and that works just as well (minus a couple of interface niceties).

On the printing side, the AirportExpress is just easier to setup, especially when all of the computers can use Rendezvous to attach to the printer (there is a download for Windows to do just that). You can use the non-Apple print servers out there (just set one up yesterday for a client), but you often have to go through Gimp-Pint to do so (not hard, just not something everyone knows about).

While the Express is more money, I decided it was worth it.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 04:36 PM

I got a Linksys Wireless G router mainly because of the cost and the fact that they have more hard-wire ports and I need a hard-wire port for my PC work laptop. It wasn't too difficult to set up, almost as easy as an Apple base station. The only problem I saw is that the firmware update provided by linksys has to be applied by a PC. I don't see why they don't support Macs, all you have to do is write a Mac firmware updater. Ho well, I guess I'll just have to use my PC work laptop to update the firmware. Besides, how often do you update firmware. The other minor issue was the WEP password was some long stream of characters and numbers.

The other thing I had to do was copy the MAC address (Ethernet ID) from the old Apple base station to the new router since my cable provider uses DHCP based on MAC addresses.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leo the 3rd
Dec 13, 2004, 05:11 PM

I liked the Linksys Wireless G Router but I got it a while back and updated the firmware with a linux firmware that offers way more funtionality than the firmware provided by Linksys. The firmware is by Sveasoft. It even offers the ability to boost the antenna signal - it's unbelievable how much more valuable this router became once I installed this firmware.

Here is the link to the article where I first read about it.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2004, 04:44 PM

I have a linksys wrt54g and have had no issues with it. I have updated the firmware from my mac. Just download the new firmware. Then through the web interface, tell it to update the firmware and tell it which file to use.

I have been considering the sveasoft firmware for the WPA over WDS capability. Although Apple just released the same functionality for their Airport base stations, it's cheaper for me to by another linksys wireless router and do some testing.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
I have a linksys wrt54g and have had no issues with it. I have updated the firmware from my mac. Just download the new firmware. Then through the web interface, tell it to update the firmware and tell it which file to use.
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by irockdabari:
I want to hook up our computers wirelessly. 2 Macs (iBook G4 & iMac G4) and one PC. Would it be easier to get an AirPort station for my situation or get another brand, like D-Link? Are non AirPort wireless routers easy to set up through a Mac? I'm looking at Non Airport stations because they are cheaper, have a bigger range, and a stronger connection. Now, wireless USB printing would be very nice, so that is a consideration for my purchases. Any suggestions?
I've owned several D-links. They're great and relatively easy to set up.

I keep everything neatly organized and hidden in a network closet, so aesthetics are a non-issue to me.

PS: Hook up your printer to the iMac G4 and turn on printer sharing.

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by f1000:
I've owned several D-links. They're great and relatively easy to set up.

I keep everything neatly organized and hidden in a network closet, so aesthetics are a non-issue to me.

PS: Hook up your printer to the iMac G4 and turn on printer sharing.
Actually, I do have my printer hooked up to my iMac G4 and use printer sharing, but I want to free up a port on my iMac... the keyboard, USB HD, and Printer take them all up.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules