Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime Pro Video Recovery

Quicktime Pro Video Recovery
joelisfar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 03:53 PM

Context: When I use in and out points in quicktime pro, I can select a part of a video clip and select "Trim to Selection". That then cuts down the length of the video.
After saving the video and closing the file, I cannot undo that trim (which seems natural), BUT the file size remains the same. Quicktime's inspector tells me it is a smaller file. Finder tells me that the file is still the same size that it was before the trim.

Question: Is there any way to recover the full video?

Motive: I have lost something (that I really really love) by accidentally trimming it, and I can't undo it. Apparently the data for the entire clip is still on my disk.

Perhaps even a reference to the best place to ask this question would also be great. Thanks so much.

sofia_passosbaptista
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 03:53 PM

I made the same mistake, I trimmed to selection and, I don't know how, I lost part of the video.
If you find a way to recover the original file - because the size still the same - I beg you to tell me!

Thank you

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by joelisfar View Post
Context: When I use in and out points in quicktime pro, I can select a part of a video clip and select "Trim to Selection". That then cuts down the length of the video.
After saving the video and closing the file, I cannot undo that trim (which seems natural), BUT the file size remains the same. Quicktime's inspector tells me it is a smaller file. Finder tells me that the file is still the same size that it was before the trim.

Question: Is there any way to recover the full video?

Motive: I have lost something (that I really really love) by accidentally trimming it, and I can't undo it. Apparently the data for the entire clip is still on my disk.

Perhaps even a reference to the best place to ask this question would also be great. Thanks so much.
Restore from your backup. You don't edit the original, do you?

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 09:46 PM

It won't help you now, but I use MPEG Streamclip for editing. It slices and dices clips with ease and allows multiple undo's. And it won't harm the original clip. It's also great for assembling clips.

Apple - Downloads - Video - MPEG Streamclip

joelisfar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 12:35 PM

The issue was just a one-time incident. For actual video editing I use Final Cut, this was just me messing with quicktime, actually testing different export settings. I shortened a video clip in quicktime for an export but then I messed it up.

joelisfar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by sofia_passosbaptista View Post
I made the same mistake, I trimmed to selection and, I don't know how, I lost part of the video.
If you find a way to recover the original file - because the size still the same - I beg you to tell me!

Thank you
unfortunately, though I posted this in three different places (months ago), I found no answer to my issue! I really hope you can find an answer though, maybe you'll look harder than I did.

I definitely will let you know if I find the answer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
It won't help you now, but I use MPEG Streamclip for editing. It slices and dices clips with ease and allows multiple undo's. And it won't harm the original clip. It's also great for assembling clips.

Apple - Downloads - Video - MPEG Streamclip
Great suggestion. MPEG Streamclip is probably the highest quality freeware app on the planet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

thbt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 04:44 PM

Here's your answer:

Retrieving whole quicktime clip from trimmed selection [Archive] - 2-Pop Forums

Grab a hex editor (I used Hex Fiend), do a search and replace for "free" and replace it with "moov". Worked like a charm for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules