Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who will deliver the next Apple keynote, if any?

Who will deliver the next Apple keynote, if any?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2012, 02:16 AM

I personally think that Phil Schiller is the most indicated among head honchos, but a new speaker is not out of the question.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 02:49 AM

I think they should hire Jeff Goldblum.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I personally think that Phil Schiller is the most indicated among head honchos, but a new speaker is not out of the question.
I think going forward, Apple events are going to be less focused on one single person.

You're going to see a mix of Tim, Phil, Scott and others doing it. It will not be a Philnote or Timnote.

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2012, 05:21 AM

I don't understand your obsession with this topic.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2012, 07:19 AM

So no-one thinks they'll bring back Noah Wyle?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
i think they should hire jeff goldblum.
+1,000,000

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I don't understand your obsession with this topic.
Because I don't like the Apple brand going up in a fragile bubble, when in reality we don't want to admit it is jumping the shark, and eventually becoming part of the background of household names like Microsoft and Sony.

Thorzdad
Feb 19, 2012, 02:43 PM

Derails and bickering removed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2012, 12:00 AM

Because I don't like the Apple brand going up in a fragile bubble, when in reality we don't want to admit it is jumping the shark, and eventually becoming part of the background of household names like Microsoft and Sony.
Apple's goal has always been to be number one in computer sales, and they have a ways to go, but they're not going to quit trying just because someone doesn't like it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Apple's goal has always been to be number one in computer sales, and they have a ways to go, but they're not going to quit trying just because someone doesn't like it.
According to their public statements, their goal has always been to build the best computers in the world, and make money doing so.

Market share has always been secondary, at least since Jobs got back.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
their goal has always been to build the best computers in the world
If you build it,…etc
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Feb 20, 2012, 08:04 AM

No, that's a big misunderstanding, becoming #1 in sales has never been their goal. They want to be #1 in terms of computing experience and customer satisfaction.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2012, 11:34 AM

Actually their goal is to make the most profit to AAPL shareholders, above all.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2012, 12:27 PM

I know it's not really considered an option, but I'm inspired to buy anything Ive talks about.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, that's a big misunderstanding, becoming #1 in sales has never been their goal. They want to be #1 in terms of computing experience and customer satisfaction.
That's what they want you to believe, but the reality is that the computing experience and customer satisfaction is what's driving the sales, and you can bet your last dollar that any CEO who gets in front of his board and tells them that sales are down, but they're #1 in those categories, isn't going to be around long. Remember the "Five down, 95 to go" quote from Apple a few years back? Of course they're not going to openly declare that they want to be #1, but in reality that's the goal. That's the goal of any corporation, especially as they get larger. I love my Macs, iPhone, iPad, and numerous iPods, but I'm under no illusion that they don't want everybody to buy Apple products; they just do a better job at getting people to drink the Kool Aid, and distort their reality fields.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2012, 02:10 AM

That's what they want you to believe, but the reality is that the computing experience and customer satisfaction is what's driving the sales, and you can bet your last dollar that any CEO who gets in front of his board and tells them that sales are down, but they're #1 in those categories, isn't going to be around long. Remember the "Five down, 95 to go" quote from Apple a few years back? Of course they're not going to openly declare that they want to be #1, but in reality that's the goal.
I think even Apple realizes/realized that that goal is completely ridiculous.

They want to be #1 in terms of profits, not market share, any tongue-in-cheek quips from five years ago notwithstanding.

And being #1 in market share for the Mac is especially pointless, as that would be skating to where the puck was twenty years ago.

They're perfectly happy being #1 with iPad.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I think even Apple realizes/realized that that goal is completely ridiculous.

They want to be #1 in terms of profits, not market share, any tongue-in-cheek quips from five years ago notwithstanding.

And being #1 in market share for the Mac is especially pointless, as that would be skating to where the puck was twenty years ago.

They're perfectly happy being #1 with iPad.

His main point still stands.

We can disagree on the extent in which profits are important to Apple, but hopefully we can agree that profits being entirely unimportant is a silly notion (although I'm not suggesting you've said this, but Steve Jobs used to infer this in a way).

For starters, Apple can and does learn from what products are profitable, and the products that are profitable are almost always profitable for good reason, and likewise for those that aren't. Often times products that are not profitable have pricing/practicality/market issues, and this includes Macs.

Yes Macs are profitable and are doing well and everything, but there are many valid reasons why Windows sells far more than OS X, and areas where Windows products are superior to OS X based systems as an overall solution, despite the beliefs of Apple employees and fans that OS X is superior across the board. When I say OS X and Windows here I'm referring to the entire ecosystem, because the OS itself really doesn't matter a great deal when talking tools that people count on.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2012, 08:55 AM

Scott and Ive are probably the most interesting to watch VPs. I've never really enjoyed Phil he just always seems a little awkward. I'm sure he's very talented at whatever he does but ...

Anyway, I think now they're mostly just going to go with whoever was in charge of making a particular product.

OreoCookie
Feb 22, 2012, 09:35 AM

Remember the "Five down, 95 to go" quote from Apple a few years back? Of course they're not going to openly declare that they want to be #1, but in reality that's the goal.
They formulated the goal before they were the biggest company in the US with reserves that are higher than the GDP of many countries. They already are the number 1, if not by volume then at least by profits. Apple rakes in 75 % of all the profits of the smartphone industry! They do not have much more room to grow since getting the remaining 25 % means going after low-margin markets.

They moment they'd start to want to become #1 in terms of volume, they'd start sucking and losing. They could forget about their simple product matrix. About putting quality and customer satisfaction first. Because that's what ensures that people come back for more.
That's the goal of any corporation, especially as they get larger. I love my Macs, iPhone, iPad, and numerous iPods, but I'm under no illusion that they don't want everybody to buy Apple products; they just do a better job at getting people to drink the Kool Aid, and distort their reality fields.
I don't buy this reality distortion field stuff: the reality distortion field does not work with people who are not interested in computers per se. In some instances, they do a much better job when it comes to customer service. My sister, for instance, had her 2006 iPod nano replaced by a brand new one since it was eligible for the battery replacement program. This is something that average consumers will remember.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules