Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVCPRO HD slow to transcode in Compressor on 8 Core Mac Pro's

DVCPRO HD slow to transcode in Compressor on 8 Core Mac Pro's
trancepriest
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 06:08 PM

Any 8 core Mac Pro owners out there? I've done some testing and found out that Compressor 3 or 3.0.1 is very slow to transcode DVCPRO HD footage compared to a dual 2.7GHz G5. The problem lies with the 90-150 minute DVD presets in Compressor. My G5 is doing a 6 minute encode of DVCPRO HD 720p footage to DVD MPEG-2 90 minute preset in 20 minutes. The Mac Pro 8 core is taking 52 minutes. I've wiped the system and tried virtual clusters still no speed difference. I've narrowed the problem down to 90-150 minute DVD presets when transcoding DVCPRO HD 720 or 1080 footage. The problem doesn't exist for the other formats including MPEG-1 or HD DVD presets. I would like to verify if this is a genuine problem with the 8 core Mac Pro's. Also DV or DVC Pro 50 footage works with the 90-150 minute MPEG-2 presets. The slow down was with DVCPRO HD and Apple Pro Res codecs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2007, 06:12 PM

G5 Ftw!

Sorry, I just had to do it.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 26, 2007 at 06:23 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

trancepriest  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 08:33 PM

The 8 core Mac Pro still beats any other Mac system inside of FCP for rendering. Also in Compressor 3 it beats the G5 and the other Mac Pro's at any transcodes that are not 90-150 minute MPEG-2 DVD Presets. The problem is most annoying because I need to encode to DVD's on a regular basis. This problem is a DVCPRO HD/Apple Pro Res 422 HQ transcode to MPEG2 Standard def DVD issue. Hopefully Apple fixes it soon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 09:05 PM

You could submit a bug report to Apple to try to draw attention to the issue.

trancepriest  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You could submit a bug report to Apple to try to draw attention to the issue.
I have... i've also posted a thread on their discussion forum for Compressor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules