Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3.0 beta autofill problem / reverting to 2.0

Safari 3.0 beta autofill problem / reverting to 2.0
noiroi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:40 AM

I have recently installed safari 3.0.3 beta on my machine running 10.4.9.
generally, it works fine, except for one problem:
autofill of forms other than user names passwords and addresses, such as search fields in various sites, etc., is being forgotten between sessions. that is - if i enter some text in a text field of a website, than navigate to this website again and enter the first letter in the text field, the rest of the word will be completed (giving you several options if more that 1 word was entered before). however, if i quit safari, then launch it and navigate to that site that will not work anymore!!
consistent with that: if in mid session i go to safari -> preferences -> autofill -> other -> edit, i get a list of sites i've visited and entered text in, since i launched safari, but if i quit safari and launch it again, the list will be empty.

obviously, this renders this feature completely useless, which is a shame because i really got used to take advantage of it....

does anybody else have/had this problem, and an idea of how to solve it?

if this problem isn't solved soon, i will easily consider downgrading to safari 2.0, but i couldn't find any info on how to do that..... which is wierd since 3.0 on tiger is still a beta......

does anybody know how to do that?

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 10:56 AM

update to 10.4.11 and get Safari 3 final.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by noiroi View Post
i will easily consider downgrading to safari 2.0, but i couldn't find any info on how to do that.....
The uninstaller of Safari 3 (which will reinstall your previous Safari 2 version) is on the Safari 3 disk image.

I guess the uninstaller does not work any more after you updated to 10.4.11 which includes the Safari 3 final.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2007, 01:19 PM

Same for me. Since Safari 3, autofill does not work anymore.

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 02:58 PM

you should try trashing your safari prefs and also resetting safari. If that doesn't work, a Safari 3 reinstall might. If you got it from Leopard, Pacifist will help you find its pkg to reinstall.

noiroi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 07:37 PM

thanks everybody!

trashing the prefs don't help....
i might consider upgrading to 10.4.11 and for the final safari 3, but is that known to really solve the problem?
otherwise i'll be stuck with the problem with the possibility to revert to safari 2 (is that actually true?), which, i guess is what i'll do for the time being (thanks TETENAL for telling me how)..........

Meritocracy
Nov 16, 2007, 02:27 AM

Yes, autofill was disabled for the Safari 3 beta. I thought this was well known, as it was brought up many a time on Apple's discussion forum, but apparently not. In any event, autofill with the final version works as expected.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

channon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by noiroi View Post
thanks everybody!

i might consider upgrading to 10.4.11 and for the final safari 3, but is that known to really solve the problem?
)..........
No. Problem MOST DEFINITELY exists in the 10.4.11 version of Safari, along with about 10 other problems. It's terrible. I haven't been using Safari much due to its frustrating lack of compliance to W3 standards, javascript, etc, so this is the final nail.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by channon View Post
frustrating lack of compliance to W3 standards
Acid2 Browser Test - The Web Standards Project

Works just fine in the final version of Safari 3 (on Leopard, though).

DaveyJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by channon View Post
No. Problem MOST DEFINITELY exists in the 10.4.11 version of Safari ...
I agree with channon, here folks, and am an Apple user since the late 1970s. Safari 3 as updated with 10.4.11 does NOT autofill like 2.0.4 does. My wife relies on that autofill feature for between 80-100 different websites EACH DAY and I had to revert her last night to 2.0.4 after 3 will not do full autocomplete.

And she simply can not back up her bookmarks and wipe out any preferences to begin using 3 (which I have not seen work) because that means she'd still have to then enter those 80-100 sites manually again to start ... if the autofill even works at all.

I'll keep her on 2.0.4 until Apple fixes this tremendous boo-boo (i.e., autofill works right from the first time she uses 3 without any hassles).

altimac
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 03:34 AM

In Safari3 and Leopard, i'm force to loggin again and again in all forums or sites that require authentication. I still have tiger on my machine with safari 2 and I don't need to type my pass over and over again...

PITA
CarraFix, the traffic shaper for OS X !

Enjoy The [CFx] Community !
http://www.carrafix.com

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 07:29 AM

Well, auto-login is finally FIXED on eBay, so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules