Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VPC7 and my iBook

VPC7 and my iBook
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 02:27 AM

So I'm a relatively new switcher (got my first Mac less than two months ago now) who is slowly moving away from PCs. Unfortunately, I still have a few Windows apps that I need to use on a semi-regular basis (Microsoft Publisher, for instance). I've been using my old Toshiba laptop, but I'm planning on giving that to my little sister, who desperately needs a new computer.

The obvious choice, in my opinion, is to pick up a copy of VirtualPC, which is totally cool with me; I can get a pretty cheap copy through my university. However, once I have it, which operating system do you all suggest I install? I have full, 100% legal copies of Windows 98SE, 2000, and XP Pro (and am totally comfortable with using all three). I'd prefer the features and functionality of XP, but my resources are limited (iBook G4, 1.33GHz, 768MB RAM, 40gig HDD w/ 11.22 free gigs of space). Is there a significant speed difference between the 3 OSs in VirtualPC and, if so, is it severe enough to warrant downgrading?

Suggestions/personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I also plan on upgrading to the full 1.5GB of RAM in the next few months, in case that affects anything.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Mar 8, 2006 at 02:53 AM. )

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 02:47 AM

VPC is awful. I have it on my iBook (1.2 Ghz, 512 RAM), and I have XP and 98 installed on there. XP is dead slow, and 98 is a bit faster, though not much. If you are going to be using publisher, I would get win 98, as you will need as much speed as possible!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 01:23 PM

Oh just go w/ XP and strip it down uninstall everything you don't need and eliminate all the fancy graphics, use the windows classic theme.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

jlftrsh
Mar 8, 2006, 11:18 PM

I've heard it said on numerous occasions that Windows 2000 runs the fastest, and I believe it. I have 2000 and XP and find that 2000 is faster than XP, even a stripped-down version of XP.

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 03:06 PM

I run W2000 it the performance is reasonable, if not decent. When I tried XP, it was poor. 2000 does most of everything you'll need.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 06:31 PM

OK, I'll give Win2K a shot later today.

Do you know the size of a base install of Windows 2000? I know XP is close to 3 gigs and 98 is around 500 megs.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules