Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Joining .MP4 videos

Joining .MP4 videos
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 11:21 AM

I have a pair of H.264 videos (saved as .MP4) that I would like to join together (one immediately following the other). Using Quicktime Pro, I tried copy-pasting all the content of one into the other, but for some reason it will not let me save the result as an MP4 file, only as an MOV. I also tried simply changing the file extension back to MP4 after doing this, but with no success ("The movie could not be opened). Is there any way for me to join these while retaining their current file formats? I'd rather not have to convert my resultant MOV file into an MP4, though I guess I'll have no choice if there are no other options. Thanks!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

krisneph
Oct 23, 2006, 01:07 PM

Try using the export function in Quicktime Pro. If you do a Save As you will always get a .mov file.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 05:51 PM

Ick, that's what I was afraid of. Alright, I guess I know what my computer's doing overnight tonight. At least I can be thankful that it's on a Core Duo, and not a G4 or something...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 06:43 PM

Does Quicktime's MP4 encoder support passthrough with H.264?

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jacke View Post
Does Quicktime's MP4 encoder support passthrough with H.264?
YES! I officially love you!!!! I never noticed that pass-through was even an option in Export. The entire conversion took about a minute (probably just how long it took to write the file to disk).

Forum Links
Forum Rules