Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm getting braces...again.

I'm getting braces...again.
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 10:19 PM

I'm in my mid-20s. I had years and years and years of orthodontic treatment when I was younger, but my teeth have started to relapse. I went to an orthodontist today and I basically have the choice of doing an upper retainer with periodic adjustments, or going with the Invisalign system for significantly more money. I'll probably go with Invisalign, since it won't be too expensive with my insurance. Hopefully it will stick this time. My last orthodontist did not stress the importance of wearing my retainer for the rest of my life, but now I know.

Does anyone here have experience with Invisalign? Pros, cons?
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jul 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Cold Warrior
Jul 10, 2007, 10:43 PM

Screw that. I also had braces when I was 16, mostly to straighten the front top four teeth. That lasted for five years, then they started slowly relapsing. In about a year's time, my top incisors protruded and my two front teeth had gap. I went to a quality cosmetic dentist and got porcelain veneers. Because my bite is great and my other teeth are good, he only had to slightly shape the four top front teeth. I couldn't be happier with the result. It did cost $5000 though.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 11:23 PM

I just had braces in my mid 20's - not fun. I've "graduated" to a retainer now, which is okay because I only have to wear it at night. Would you have to wear the retainer all the time?

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 11:37 PM

Yeah, the retainer and Invisalign would both be 24/7 for about the same amount of time (~9 months).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 07:16 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Jul 11, 2007, 07:39 AM

I had them twice also. Got them off at 18. Then my wisdom teeth came in and crowded the bottom teeth, made them crooked, and then my uppers were crooked. At 23 had the wisdom teeth removed and had braces until I was 26, only the second time I got clear ones. Then I had the bottom retainer, a thin metal wire, permanently glued to the inside of my bottom teeth to keep them in place and it worked. Had it for about 3 years. Teeth are a little crooked now, but nothing much. I'm happy with them. Good luck to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules