Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive rattles. Connect to another computer?

Hard drive rattles. Connect to another computer?
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2008, 10:24 PM

No, it's not supposed to rattle. Can you connect the drive to another computer? Sounds like the drive is shagged.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2008, 10:25 PM

I am trying to diagnose a white Macbook that I was given to fix.

The story is that it worked fine when handed over to the 17 year old son of the owner, who dropped it off today and it will not boot, and infact only comes to the flashing file folder with a question mark in it. I was able to boot from the install DVD and open Disk Utility and the HDD was not recognized. I opened System Profiler and it also did not list the HDD and I also noticed the disk drive was not listed as being able to burn discs.

I have the HDD out of it, a 120GB Seagate and am wondering if a HDD is supposed to rattle a bit when shook? I always thought that they were not supposed to make any noise when shook. Is that correct?

Thank you.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2008, 10:30 PM

Wow, you are good, you posted your reply before I even posted my question...

ROFL how did that happen?

Thanks for the answer too, That is what I thought.

I will try to connect it to another comp, I may need to go buy an enclosure for a 2.5 inch drive.

I should add something else I noticed, the HDD is not spinning up at all during startup.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

idykenano
Forum Regular
May 31, 2008, 11:25 PM

The hdd is toast. Well, toast broken into pieces. It sounds like one of the discs came loose from the spindle somehow or even the arm that reads the discs is loose. The hdd will probably never be readable, I hope they had a backup. (I will spare the backup speech)
Knowing 17yr olds/people and laptops... they get dropped and something WILL break. In this case, it just happens to be a very replaceable part that hopefully had backed-up data on it.
Sorry man.
Diagnosis: dead hdd
Fix: new hdd and fresh install
Estimate: around $100, depending on size of replacement

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 12:13 AM

Try booting in Target Disk Mode (hold down 't' after turning it on), connect another computer via Firewire... basically turning an expensive Mac into a dumb $25 enclosure. You may be able to salvage some data. Then replace the drive.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2008, 04:17 AM

I know some HDDs rattle, the one out of my old iBook had a note on top to say that the rattle noise is normal. In the case of a non-booting Sony Vaio that came in a while ago after being dropped, the rattling HDD was smashed platters.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2008, 04:49 AM

Hard drives that are not running will rattle, as the heads are not locked in place, but the key issue is the hard drive will not read. If it is a Macbook it should be very easy to remove so you can try it in an external. If it doesn't work in an external, you may be very screwed, as yes, the head may have made contact with the platter, which would render the disk unreadable (I don't think he's going to have a problem with any portion of the drive becoming disconnected in a modern hard drive, at least I hope...)

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Try booting in Target Disk Mode (hold down 't' after turning it on), connect another computer via Firewire... basically turning an expensive Mac into a dumb $25 enclosure. You may be able to salvage some data. Then replace the drive.

The drive does not even spin up. That would get me nowhere I am not already.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 07:13 PM

My question now is this, is it possible there is a connector inside that may have come loose?

I think that would be very unlikely as the only two moving pieces inside the comp being the ones not working fully kind of points to a traumatic shock to the computer. Heck, the HDD and the CD/RVD-RW are right next to each other on the same side of the computer too.

I am trying to reason this out in an attempt to avoid opening the case, I really hate doing that...

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2008, 08:51 PM

This is a SATA drive, right? There's generally one connector that goes across the back of the drive for both power and data. They should diverge somewhere outside of the drive space. The trick is that either power or data not being connected could keep it from spinning up. The quickest thing to do is to connect the drive to another SATA controller and see what happens then.

Getting back to that sound, if it "rattles" in your hand, versus "RATTLES!@!@!!!!" in your hand, it might just be a wonky read arm. But if it RATTLES!!!!! then you're almost certainly handling digital poo. So, does it sound like there's a tiny bit moving inside the case, or like it's full of loose screws?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2008, 03:02 PM

The verdict is this.

I installed a new HDD and it works fine.

Thank you all for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules