Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dollhouse

Dollhouse (Page 7)
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2010, 12:27 PM

The ending of the latest episode was kind of brain-dead, I thought.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The ending of the latest episode was kind of brain-dead, I thought.
Only because you didn't know it was coming. See Epitaph One on the DVD set (or magically from some kind of intarweb thingie). I just watched it today.

I didn't realize that Joss Whedon's whole plan for Dollhouse was not a lame hooker-story every week, but...[spolier]a group of adventures surrounding Caroline and how she was becoming immune to the imprinting technology. Sure, they would have had to flashback to how Boyd got her into the Dollhouse to begin with (as was shown) in season 2.[/spoiler]

I'm afraid that Joss didn't make the show interesting enough for viewers to tune in each week like Lost did. Not enough WTF moments and I need to watch this next week to see what happens. I must say he had a great concept, but the execution was not popular enough (ratings) for his vision to come to fruition over time. A shame, really. It truly was a fairly original idea and plot.

Update:
On January 15, 2010, in the wake of the earthquake tragedy in Haiti, all of the American television networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW) announced a joint telethon for Haiti scheduled for January 22, 2010. As a result, the series finale of Dollhouse was rescheduled and will now be shown on January 29, 2010. (Source)
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jan 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2010, 10:54 PM

Normally that would be bullcrap news, but under the circumstances, I completely understand.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Only because you didn't know it was coming. See Epitaph One
No, I saw that before, and that's not what I meant (although that part of this episode was clumsy too). And I don't think epitaph I is required watching per se, because they established that outcome as a possibility in "the attic." What I meant was that the "dur let's just blow everything up to fix it" plot basis was brain-dead, and the opponent they faced while doing that was brain-dead, and the execution of the blowing up of things was brain-dead, and then they did it and nothing changed anyway, and the way they showed all of this happening was artless and sloppy. It was all very cookie-cutter action stuff, and the action parts of it were sub-par. The only interesting part was why they wanted Echo and what for, and the development of that story was brain-dead too: they just told you straight out. There was no discovery or investigation. It reminds me of the final episode of Futurama: "Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

IMO.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 10:31 AM

I enjoyed it, though I think while finding out that Boyd was behind it all was brilliant, finding out he did it, "Cause we're like family." Was a lil less cool.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
There was no discovery or investigation. It reminds me of the final episode of Futurama: "Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

IMO.
That's what I mean about being rushed. I'd rather enjoy the concept than dwell on the execution. Like the Matrix (the first one). Just forget how it ended and enjoy the idea.

Ohhhhmmmmmm......

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010, 11:57 PM

Ok, Boyd being behind it all really didn't surprise me at all. Maybe I was just looking for the twist here though.

What bugs me about the whole thing thus far is that we've had two seasons of buildup about why echo is so special. Her ability to retain imprints through wipes is what sets her apart. I assumed that Boyd's plan was to imprint all of his friends into echo, thus making them immune from the coming "thoughtpocalypse."

Just needing her to extract spinal fluid from her body makes much of the interaction with echo over the last two seasons completely inconsequential. Boyd could have just extracted the fluid when they first captured Caroline, as I'm pretty sure that multiple imprints didn't change her DNA in the slightest. Echo remains special, but not in the way that was built up to be important in the preceeding storyline.

The way it reads now, is that Boyd placed Caroline into the Dollhouse just so that he could make some new friends.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2010, 09:56 AM

so, thoughts on the finale?

It obviously felt rushed. I could see how in other whedon worlds, this ep would take the place of a season. There are details I'd like to know (how whiskey got fixed, and then broken again) but there is closure.

And the ending is still somewhat open.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 10:20 AM

I could have used more action and less of Echo telling herself how great she was...

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2010, 10:25 AM

Damn. Missed it again.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

So many good ideas crammed into so little time.

At least we got to see it end.

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2010, 11:37 PM

Rushed but closure. The show's concept might've worked well as a movie trilogy too.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 12:48 AM

Well. it's over. As any will say, it did feel rushed. But I enjoyed it. It certainly makes me wonder how it would have played out over multiple seasons.

What's next, Joss? Something here to stay, perhaps?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 09:16 AM

Too rushed. Didn't really enjoy the last half season.

andi*pandi
Feb 2, 2010, 10:39 AM

Seeing Alpha rehabilitated would have been good for a season, or at least a half season. After WhiskeyClyde gets beaten up by Echo, how does Whiskey escape before the joint explodes? Would Whiskey react to Boyd's death, did she know he was behind Rossum, and how did she end up back down in the dollhouse with a fixed face and a blank mind?

I foresee more comic books.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 2, 2010 at 01:09 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules