Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Creation-Based Gaming

View Poll Results: Do you seek out games with creative aspects?
Poll Options:
Yes, I love games that unlock my creative side. 3 votes (42.86%)
I appreciate the creative liberties, but I don't miss the features if they're not there. 1 votes (14.29%)
No, I couldn't care less about creativity features in games. 2 votes (28.57%)
Go play with LEGOs. 1 votes (14.29%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
Creation-Based Gaming
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 02:37 PM

I keep finding myself drawn to games that heavily involve creative aspects. LittleBigPlanet, The Sims, SimCity, and Spore are obvious titles, but I just spent several days creating a 30-team custom league in NHL 10 from the ground up. I kept geography in mind with West Coast, Northeast, Southern, Canadian, Midwestern, and Northern divisions, and paid close attention to acquiring as much of a variety of colors when editing the jerseys. I'm going to replace all the regular teams tonight and start a fantasy draft.

I'm sure this makes me slightly neurotic, but I get so much longevity out games that offer these features. Is this normal? Do you guys appreciate this kind of flexibility, or do you never touch these features?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2010, 02:40 PM

It's great for the creative mind.

To a certain degree, isn't that the appeal of Modern Warfare? You get to customize your loadouts, as opposed to Halo which is much more straight-forward.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 10, 2010, 02:48 PM

Yup, LBP is fun, and I spend as much time painting as I do driving in Forza 3.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's great for the creative mind.

To a certain degree, isn't that the appeal of Modern Warfare? You get to customize your loadouts, as opposed to Halo which is much more straight-forward.
To be honest, except for this recent spell of NHL/MLB PS3-playing, that's what keeps me interested in MW2. The loadouts are a huge part of its appeal; even the killstreak combinations add a degree of experimentation.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Yup, LBP is fun, and I spend as much time painting as I do driving in Forza 3.
Speaking of which...

LittleBigPlanet 2

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
To be honest, except for this recent spell of NHL/MLB PS3-playing, that's what keeps me interested in MW2. The loadouts are a huge part of its appeal; even the killstreak combinations add a degree of experimentation.
Exactly. I hate how much slobbering I do over this game, but its seems like every part of it appeals to me.

With Halo, I can't just pick a game and say, "I'm using only rockets" or needlers, or gravity hammers. Choice.

(Speaking of choice, though: Halo customs. I sure did flex my muscles in Forge)

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 03:42 PM

(Speaking of choice, though: Halo customs. I sure did flex my muscles in Forge)
You're speaking Greek to me. I missed out on the entire thing.

My decision to buy/ignore Halo: Reach largely depends on what a large portion of my XBL Friends decide. I'm not picking it up unless it gets great reviews and at least 10 Friends pick it up.

ibook_steve
May 10, 2010, 03:57 PM

It's funny you bring this up today. Yesterday, I went over to a friend's house and his 6 year old son was playing LBP, and put us as 2 players in the creation mode. I could not be more bored. All I could do was hover around. What's the point of me sitting there while I wait for him to create a crappy level for us to play not to mention the HUGE amount of crappy levels there are to play online (2.5 million and counting according to the game yesterday)? And have you seen how much useless DLC is available for this game on the PSN? Do people really pay multiple dollars to download costumes for this?

In any case, as you can probably guess, creative aspects of games don't do anything for me other than waste time. I have too many games (way too many games that are sitting there ready to be played) and too little time to waste (and too impatient) on creating levels or other things for myself or for others to play. Ever since the Sims came out, I've wondered why people do this.

If that floats your boat, fine. But I buy games to play, enjoy, and hopefully, eventually complete. Playing dollhouse holds no appeal.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 10, 2010, 04:04 PM

Completely agree with Steve. Although sometimes I can lose myself in a creative game (I did have some fun with Spore), I simply don't have much time to play games anymore so I have to be very discriminating in what I pick. I'd MUCH rather experience the story of Batman:AA than build a few LBP levels.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2010, 05:03 PM

I just realized the obvious joke to be made about "creation" based gaming from a religious man such as yourself.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 10, 2010, 05:30 PM

I just realized the obvious joke to be made about "creation" based gaming from a religious man such as yourself.
Just?

--

I don't really care about this part of most games, I'm most concerned with having fun or winning (usually one and the same for me).

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 06:18 PM

I usually like for my content to be designed by professional game designers.

I recently downloaded gmod, which is a sandbox utility for the Half Life 2 series. I've seen all sorts of stuff made for it, some lame, some not. I screwed around for hours, which ended in me making little armies of NPCs and having them fight eachother. At the end of the day, I was pining for more HL2 content made by HL2 devs, not some crap made by me.

ibook_steve
May 11, 2010, 03:01 AM

I am so glad I am not alone!

Saw the trailer for LBP2 today. Looks amazing, but I'll stick to the developer-created levels when I get it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 04:27 AM

I've wasted plenty of time in Sim City trying to perfect road systems, reduce crime, ensure that my citzens were well educated and happy. Even in Age of Empires I tried to think defensively as well as efficient for my farmers and troops. I know what you mean about the satifaction gained from seeing your little environment work within the game. Hated the Sims though.

Now I just like ranking up after planting a few bombs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules