Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Larger Screen Poll

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Poll Options:
3.5" Screen with higher pixel density 4 votes (57.14%)
4.25" screen with lower pixel density 3 votes (42.86%)
Something else (explain) 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
Larger Screen Poll
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 02:41 PM

Let's pretend the iPhone 5 comes out and Apple releases two models. One with a 3.5" screen and one with a $100 premium that has a 4.25" screen with an identical pixel density.

Which one would you be more interested in. (Specs on both are identical, battery life is identical, styling is almost identical but the larger screen iPhone is obviously bigger and slightly heavier)

What are your feelings on larger screens in general.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 02:50 PM

I'm happy with the current form factor of the iPhone. That being said I think the screen size could be slightly larger without increasing the size of the phone and that would be my preference in the future. I don't think the better video viewing experience of a 4.25" screen once in a while is worth the daily nuisance of having a larger phone in my pocket.

I also like to operate my phone with one hand and whatever the screen size is I want to be able to reach 95% of it with one hand.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 03:13 PM

IMO the iP could get a lot more viewable screen real estate with only a tiny bit larger physical width, which is what I expect to see. Personally with large hands and old eyes I would like 4.25" but my expectation is exterior close to the current 4s exterior dimensions.

IMO the pixel count will remain at 960-by-640-pixels but viewed on a larger display area.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 05:33 PM

Its fine the size it is. You can watch a video on it if you need to and the only reason you'd really want a bigger screen is for videos. An extra quarter inch isn't going to turn it from a pocket device ti a cinema experience so I don't see the point. The size of the device is far more important than the size of the screen IMO.

I won't cry about it too much if it gets a fraction bigger I suppose but I'm certainly not clamouring for it. I do think the big android phones are too big though. What are they 4.25"? Too much.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Oct 10, 2011, 05:41 PM

Much larger and it starts failing as a convenient, portable phone, form-factor-wise. It barely fits in a pocket now.

laieboy
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2011, 05:47 PM

You can increase the screen as long as the phone size does not increase. I'm perfectly fine with it's current size.
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 05:57 PM

My sister has the big Android size and I prefer that size (old eyes). Not nearly enough to leave the iOS ecosystem, however.

-Allen

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 06:03 PM

I think the main advantage would be reading text on websites.

I'm honestly not 100% sold on the need for a bigger screen. I feel like it would be nice, but I also understand the tradeoffs.

It might be one of those things that I get and end up not liking very much. It's hard to say.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules