Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Random: Gas burner head on range is too small... workarounds?

Random: Gas burner head on range is too small... workarounds?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2012, 04:31 AM

I don't know what I'm talking about, so bare with me...

My range is gas. Its burner heads, or whatever they're called, are only about 2 inches wide so they only spread heat across the base of a large pan/skillet if I turned the heat up really high.

Does anybody know of a workaround? Is it possible to replace that 'head' with something that spews out flames over a wider area?

Like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about. I just know this things sucks to cook on and has me missing my old electric range.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2012, 03:19 PM

They have this thing called a diffuser, it looks like a tennis racket but with smaller holes. You can put it under the pot to make the wider flame do less heating (or the narrower flame spread out, I'm not sure which; my range is electric). Would that work?

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-144-Hea.../dp/B0000X6ESO

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2012, 04:43 PM

You can change the 'heads'. Think that its called a burner. They come in different sizes.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2012, 05:08 PM

Top quality pans with thick thermally massive bases will work best. Adding a diffuser raises the elevation of the pan and reduces total heat to the pan in addition to diffusing the flame.

Usually changing burner setups low-heat burners to high-heat burners is not so easy because the whole stove is engineered to be what it is, expensive stoves engineered with much more heat output, better grates, etc.; cheap stoves smaller burners, lesser grates/spacing, etc.

Top quality gas stoves (e.g. BlueStar http://www.bluestarcooking.com/) really do perform way better. Like a Mac Pro versus an iBook.

I am cooking on a BlueStar and the smallest burner is my favorite. The burner topology and lower heat output allows the best control on small to medium pans.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jun 23, 2012 at 05:18 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules