Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kickstarters

Kickstarters
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 07:33 PM

I've had to essentially stop giving to KS campaigns all together, the success rates have been pretty awful and I'm starting to get sick of keeping track of them all. One of the worst for me was Yogventures, made doubly annoying because I knew one of the guys involved. Are there any you've regretted?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

reader50
Administrator
Sep 21, 2014, 10:45 PM

I've given to only one, the V. Mars movie. I was satisfied with them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 11:39 PM

I haven't funded anything, and I'm not sure I would in the future.

Just seems like there's too many unviable projects and ideas.

On the flip side, if you really want to blow money, gofundme seems to be the place.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2014, 04:34 AM

I suppose the problem is that a good idea is nothing without the right people behind it. Not just paying for it but driving it. You could be giving your money to anyone at all with this system. You'll be lucky enough if it turns out not to be a 16 year old trying to pay for a trip to Vegas but more likely it'll be some creative guys with absolutely no business knowledge/sense whatsoever.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2014, 07:12 AM

I helped fund 17 campaigns; some because I wanted the product, some to help friends, some to support an idea.

Of these, only one has ever gone bad, with the product still not manufactured three years in. I don't really mind because that's the nature of the game. Kickstarted isn't a store, it's an investment tool and investments can, and do, go bad.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2014, 07:24 AM

If you want to invest online go to Kiva.

Too many third world solutions to third world problems on KS. The world is bigger. People need more help than a fancy new iPhone dock.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2014, 08:13 AM

Kiva isn't without its problems either, so much so that I will not support them.

The joys of pretending to help the poor: The Kiva Story

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've had to essentially stop giving to KS campaigns all together, the success rates have been pretty awful and I'm starting to get sick of keeping track of them all. One of the worst for me was Yogventures, made doubly annoying because I knew one of the guys involved. Are there any you've regretted?
Since you posted the link, I felt compelled to check the "sorry we took all your money" post.

I'm trying to do the math on the matte painter being a "good friend" to the original project lead, and the part where that good friend does two weeks work and has to stop, but takes the full $35,000.

Even if I'm not your "good friend", and it's not in the contract, I prorate that back to you because my reputation means something to me. WTF?

Similarly, if you do that to me, you are no longer my "good friend", and I start publicly slagging you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Even if I'm not your "good friend", and it's not in the contract, I prorate that back to you because my reputation means something to me. WTF?

Similarly, if you do that to me, you are no longer my "good friend", and I start publicly slagging you.
If this was a real business, they would have never paid the full amount before substantial work is done.
And if for some reason (I.e. their own stupidity) they paid all upfront, they'd sue the person to get the money back.

This is an excellent example where embezzlement and shady business practices are almost encouraged. There is no legal recourse, and people are going to take advantage of it. After all, is is fee money.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 11:54 AM

I get the impression the contract was so horribly written they couldn't win a lawsuit.

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2014, 01:00 PM

The Yogscast have send kickstarters game codes to their other new game partners, which I haven't bothered to try out. One is a silly side scroller/mario clone with Simon doing the jumping bits, so it's a big in-joke. The other looks to be cool but no time for testing it out.

The other kickstarters I've done have worked out fine, but I haven't done many.

Forum Links
Forum Rules