Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook, question about transferring files

New Powerbook, question about transferring files
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 07:37 PM

Hi everyone. My 15" Powerbook arrived yesterday! My first Powerbook, actually. It's the 1.67 GHz model with Superdrive and 100 GB HDD upgrade, 128 MB VRAM upgrade and 1 GB RAM upgrade. It's going to last me through grad school (hopefully ). I'm totally loving it so far. I just have a few questions about getting my data off of my old computer, a 466 MHz "Digital Audio" G4 PowerMac. Unfortunately, I don't have a firewire cable, so the target-disk mode isn't an option. I'm trying to connect the two computers via ethernet. According to this list I don't need a crossover cable, correct? I'm trying to connect with a normal ethernet cable. The Powerbook is running 10.4.1, and the PowerMac is running 10.3.9. I've turned on filesharing on both computers, yet when I look in the Network Browser on the Powerbook, I don't see my PowerMac. And vice versa, when I look in the Network Browser on the PowerMac, I don't see the Powerbook. When I look in the Network Preferences on both computers, the ethernet port isn't listed in the Network Status pane. What am I doing wrong?

And a random neurotic question: should my Powerbook's optical drive be making a relatively loud noise every time I wake or boot up the computer?

EDIT: sorry, I forgot that there is a separate Networking forum. Mods, feel free to move this post there if you wish.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jul 3, 2005 at 07:56 PM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
I'm trying to connect the two computers via ethernet. According to this list I don't need a crossover cable, correct? I'm trying to connect with a normal ethernet cable. What am I doing wrong?
The cable is fine. Do me a favor: Open up Mac Help in your Finder menubar and enter ethernet transfer and choose the third search result (or whichever seems most appropriate).

And a random neurotic question: should my Powerbook's optical drive be making a relatively loud noise every time I wake or boot up the computer?
iBook and PowerBook optical drives are noisy. Deal with it.

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 08:03 AM

when you get done trnsfering those files you wanna sell me your old powermac
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 08:06 AM

The migration assistant is so wonderful that it would be to your benefit to buy a firewire cable.

Chris

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 08:08 AM

that is what i was about to say
they are not very expensive and they can be used with many different items
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules