Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backing up my Powerbook before sending it in for service

Backing up my Powerbook before sending it in for service
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 04:40 PM

So I'm about to send off my Powerbook to get serviced by Apple. Obviously, I need to back up my files beforehand. I want to just back-up my home folder to my old G4 PowerMac. I'm assuming I can just drag it over to the PowerMac in firewire disk mode. However, I'm less certain as to how I would restore it back on the Powerbook. Would it just be drag-and-drop, or would I have to use the migration assistant or something?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2005, 09:08 PM

Try SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
Try SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.
Unfortunately the PowerMac is still in use, so I can't simply clone the drive over. I just want to copy over my user folder.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 11:33 PM

How about this? Boot to the Powerbook into target disk mode. Then connect it to the Powermac and clone the whole Powerbook drive.

By the way, it's very smart to backup before sending the machine to Apple.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
How about this? Boot to the Powerbook into target disk mode. Then connect it to the Powermac and clone the whole Powerbook drive.

By the way, it's very smart to backup before sending the machine to Apple.
As I said, I can't clone the whole Powerbook drive onto the PowerMac because the PowerMac is still in use (in other words, I can't erase everything on there). I just want to know if it is possible to somehow restore a user account from the folder if I copy it back over to the Powerbook once I get it back.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 11:56 PM

You can use CCC to select just the "Users" folder to copy over to your PowerMac. Once you get the PB back, simply use CCC to clone that "Users" folder back onto the PB from the PowerMac.

What kind of service do you need on your PB? Hopefully they won't need to erase your HD and you'll be good to go anyway.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
As I said, I can't clone the whole Powerbook drive onto the PowerMac because the PowerMac is still in use (in other words, I can't erase everything on there).
You never said the Powermac drive didn't have enough space. You just said you were using it, which isn't a show-stopper.

So to answer your question, yes you can just copy your home folder and then copy it back.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 12:43 AM

Now I understand what you were saying about "being in use". That's not a problem. You don't have to erase anything on the Powermac. Clone your entire Powerbook drive to to a disk image on the Powermac. Carbon Copy Cloner will do this automatically if you check the box in preferences.

Chris

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 12:36 AM

You don't need CCC to do it. Just use Disk Utility to image the drive.

Or, if you don't want to hassle with it, just have the Apple Store (if one is near you) do it for you for $50.

If you have less than 5 gigs of stuff to backup, the Store will let you back it up on a bland DVD that they will provide you FOR FREE.

They image drives all the time for people.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 12:36 AM

make that "blank" DVD
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2005, 05:35 AM

I'm curious why he'd need CCC for just his home directory. I understand the advantage when cloning the whole drive, but what would it get that you can't get by just dragging the hone directory over?

And if it was me, I'd also be backing up my /Applications and parts of my /Library.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis IV
I'm curious why he'd need CCC for just his home directory. I understand the advantage when cloning the whole drive, but what would it get that you can't get by just dragging the hone directory over?

And if it was me, I'd also be backing up my /Applications and parts of my /Library.
Agreed... he should also back up the applications (and maybe parts of /Library -- if the apps are ugly like Adobe apps and chuck stuff in there).

Drag copying the home folder from the finder could screw up permissions. Might be better to use 'ditto' from the command line, as root, as that will maintain permissions (permissions in a home directory aren't all that important, tho'... it's fairly easy to change them recursively).

Forum Links
Forum Rules