Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apps on OS 9/SheepShaver

Apps on OS 9/SheepShaver
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 02:41 PM

Well, I finally got a copy of OS 9.0.4 to run in SheepShaver on my MacBook, and so far everything has been running smoothly. However, there are still a few problems to work out.

1) Is there anywhere that I can download a copy of Quicktime 6.0? OS 9 comes with 4.5, and the only link I can find anywhere is an updater for 6.0.x -> 6.0.3.
2) Are there any decent word processor apps for OS 9? Old versions of MS Office, for instance?
3) Why are my hard drive icons non-platinum? Screenshot

Thanks for helping out a complete and total rookie to the world of Classic Mac OS!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 04:02 PM

- No idea where you can get an older version of Quicktime
- Office 98 runs in OS 9
- The HD icon look strange, but it may have something to do with the install

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 01:21 PM

Well, I tried reinstalling OS 9, and the HD icon has not changed. I can't even find any reference to something like this happening online anywhere. Oh well, it's not a big deal, but just a little odd.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

dru
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Well, I tried reinstalling OS 9, and the HD icon has not changed. I can't even find any reference to something like this happening online anywhere. Oh well, it's not a big deal, but just a little odd.
Wouldn't worry about it. Did you try pasting custom icons?

For Classic, QT5 is the newest full version I found at Apple. Seems they've overlooked 6.0 and only have the 6.x upgrade. They don't even have them on their ftp that I could find.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120132
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2006, 04:06 AM

Pure Mac: Video - Software for Macintosh 6.0.3

MS Office 2001 should be able to run under SheepShaver and OS 9.x-9.0.4 .... but I haven't tried it yet myself.... probably best if i didn't..... Even on my old 6100 with OS 9.1, Office was flakey and only acted correctly after downloading and installing all the available updates from MS's site.

As for the 'System 7-ish', non-Platinum HD icons, nothing can be done about those..... yet. AFAIK (as far as i know), this same issue is even in the Basilisk][ 68k Mac emulator. And since much of SheepShaver's components are based off of Basilisk][, it'd probably be a -LONG- while until the author of SheepShaver (Gwenole B.) fixes this.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 04:20 AM

**** Office 98.

Get Word 5.1a - the best damn version of Microsoft Word ever written.

By far.

patrix
Oct 9, 2006, 09:44 AM

The hard drive icons are non-platinum, because, as I read in another forum, it seems SheepShaver emulates a floppy for each virtual disk you create - so the system doesn't see it as a hard drive icon

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by patrix
The hard drive icons are non-platinum, because, as I read in another forum, it seems SheepShaver emulates a floppy for each virtual disk you create - so the system doesn't see it as a hard drive icon
Yeah, I had recently discovered this. Ah well, nothing I can do about that.

And as for the whole Quicktime thing, I downloaded QT5 from the link dru posted, and then ran the Quicktime installer, which brought it up to 6.0.2. From there, I just downloaded the 6.0.x -> 6.0.3 updater. So I have no clue if confusion's link works, though I'm betting it would.

And does anyone have any ideas where I could get a copy of Office 98, other than an overpriced eBay auction?

Forum Links
Forum Rules