Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Latest Leopard Seed: Brushed Metal is Dead

Latest Leopard Seed: Brushed Metal is Dead (Page 3)
Dazed
Apr 26, 2007, 03:37 AM

The dark grey suits aperture since its meant to be a digital darkroom and so the brightest images should be your photos and not some piece of UI.

Of course an entire OS of dark grey could be unbearable lol. Im actually quite fond of the color used in macnn(the blueish grey is quite soothing)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2007, 03:52 AM

Yeah obviously Aperture's UI makes sense for a photo editing tool, but people here are suggesting it could be used across the entire OS.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 26, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Platinum was not particularly interesting, but I don't think it was ugly. Definitely could have been better, but I still think it's one of the better themes I've seen on an OS.
For it's time it was great. Compare it to the other OS GUIs of the time.

It was CONSISTENT (something OS X has never been) it wasn't garish and was modern for the time.

Someone made a "future platinum" mockup in here around 99/2000 and I could never find it again.

It was slick as all get out, while still looking like a Mac.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It was CONSISTENT (something OS X has never been) it wasn't garish and was modern for the time.
What was more consistent? You had apps looking different, you had brushed metal and so on.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 27, 2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JLL View Post
What was more consistent? You had apps looking different, you had brushed metal and so on.
OS 9 was more consistent. It wasn't till Jobs showed up and near the end of OS 9 did the brushed metal QT and iTunes show up.

OS 9 followed the HIG more so than OS X.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2007, 06:57 AM

Too bad Apple listened to users on this one. Having different skins for different apps makes them a lot easier to tell apart. Otherwise, the content is the only cue to identify a particular window.

The user interface of the different window schemes is a different story (and should, of course, be 100% consistent).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2007, 01:27 PM

Don't worry, developers can still make their apps as ugly as their black little hearts desire. It just looks like consistency will be the default (and even that I'm doubting somewhat).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 29, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by cla View Post
Too bad Apple listened to users on this one. Having different skins for different apps makes them a lot easier to tell apart. Otherwise, the content is the only cue to identify a particular window.
Well I think for Example Garage Band will still have it's own special GUI. I just think there is going to be more over-all consistency. Which is something OS X needs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules