Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Seattle for a day... ideas?

Seattle for a day... ideas?
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 07:15 PM

I've got a job interview in the Seattle area on the 7th of January, and the company-which-shall-not-be-named is flying me up from Phoenix on the morning of the 6th. I have all of that day, plus the evening of the 7th and morning of the 8th, to kill time in Seattle. They're paying for hotel, taxis, and meals (food may not exceed $75/day), so I don't mind spending a little cash. Having never been there, I'm at a loss for things to do, other than get rained on. Suggestions?

Important and unfortunate note: I'm only 20, so alcohol-related hijinks are off-limits.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 07:17 PM

What do you like to do?

andi*pandi
Dec 28, 2007, 07:47 PM

The underground tour was quite fun.

pike place market if you're feeling touristy and want some good food.

The aquarium is also nice.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Dec 29, 2007 at 02:32 AM. )

spindler
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2007, 09:20 PM

My guess is that you will be downtown which would be low numbers, like 5th avenue and 5th street or something like that. The Space Needle is cool and costs around $10 to go up. If you are a classic rock fan, the Seattle Experience Music Project was created by Paul Allen and has incredible Jimi Hendrix and other stuff but is like $50. Seattle Pike Place Market is famous for food and other shopping and is more real and less touristy than similar markets in other cities. If you like cool non-corporate record shops there are several really distinct ones.

One thing to look out for is the Seattle look. There are hairstyles that both younger and older women have there that you won't see elsewhere and there is also a real genuine alternative dress that some young people have. It isn't like the cheesy overblown Gothic look with purple hair you see in other cities but genuine 80's alternative.

Starbucks got it's start in Seattle and it isn't surprising why. There are lots of coffeehouses and they have a real genuine feel because of the old buildings they are in. Take a look inside the various non-chain coffeehouses. All in all Seattle is just really cool and cultural so look around and you will see lots of stuff.

Rumor
Dec 28, 2007, 09:47 PM

Pick up a copy of the Stranger while you are there. It's a free weekly alternative publication.

The Pacific Science Center is cool as well and right next to the EMP.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 10:46 PM

Boeing has a Museum of Flight which is interesting for some (and if you are interviewing with them, it might be worthwhile). If it is an evil software empire, then I can not give you any advice. sam

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 10:50 PM

Gameworks is downtown, Seattle Center is nearby... What sorts of things are you interested in?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The underground tour was quite fun.

fisherman's wharf if you're feeling touristy and want some good food.

The aquarium is also nice.
I do like fish, and I promised a friend that I'd get photos of the guys who throw fish.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
What do you like to do?
I don't mind being touristy for the day, and I don't need to be terribly busy to keep entertained. I'd probably even be happy just walking around the city for a few hours. I'd rather spend some time outside if possible, even with the cold and rain. Basically I'm looking for anything that I wouldn't normally be able to see in Phoenix/Tucson.

Originally Posted by SVass
If it is an evil software empire, then I can not give you any advice.
...No comment.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I don't mind being touristy for the day, and I don't need to be terribly busy to keep entertained. I'd probably even be happy just walking around the city for a few hours. I'd rather spend some time outside if possible, even with the cold and rain. Basically I'm looking for anything that I wouldn't normally be able to see in Phoenix/Tucson.
In addition to what's already been mentioned, you might like the zoo and/or a ferry ride. If you want to just wander around and see interesting things, take a look at any of Broadway, the "international district," pike place market (where the fish throwers are), alki, Freemont or Ballard, any of those should keep you entertained.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 PM

Pike Place Market might be a good place to go this time of year. The first Starbucks is down there if you are into that sort of thing, a lot of ethnic food places too, in addition to the people who throw fish. There is a Glass Sculpture park nearby too.

There's also a great Comic/Action Figure shop in Pike Place if that's your thing. I'm not into that stuff, but they seemed to have a wide selection.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Rumor
Dec 28, 2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post

...No comment.
Burn the Heretic!

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 12:09 AM

Wow. I imagine they pay pretty nice. Good luck with the interview. Traitor!
Keeding!

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Wow. I imagine they pay pretty nice. Good luck with the interview. Traitor!
Keeding!
Thanks, and (that goes for Rumor too)

Don't worry, if I get the job they'll be seeing a lot of my MacBook on that campus. Besides, the chance to take over from the inside and rid them of all their evil-ness is more than worth it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 12:34 AM

If the interview is at their main campus, you'll be a good distance from downtown Seattle.
Vandelay Industries

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 01:18 AM

I don't think their Seattle campus is done yet, so yeah, you'll be quite a ways from downtown Seattle. You'll have a large body of water between you and Seattle actually.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 01:33 AM

How about the Seattle Monorail? I kind of like it. I also enjoyed the underground tour as well.

However, public transportation isn't really that good in the Seattle-area. Unfortunately, you better bring some warm clothing. The weather is pretty bad these days.

Many of my friends are MS-ed, I don't really mind actually.

I work in the Belltown area and hit the first Starbucks store everyday. Weeks ago, I saw Howard Schultz inside the store and using an iPhone.

Dec 29, 2007, 02:01 AM

Eat at Ivars. Eat at Dicks. Go for a walk around Green Lake. Go to Fishermans' Wharf. Drink lots of coffee. Mingle with the locals.

GET THE JOB.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Eat at Ivars. Eat at Dicks. Go for a walk around Green Lake. Go to Fishermans' Wharf. Drink lots of coffee. Mingle with the locals.

GET THE JOB.
Oh yes, eat at Dicks.

Ivars? Meh. Ivars is not what it used to be. And Greenlake? Not what it used to be either.

Rumor
Dec 29, 2007, 03:40 AM

Go under the north side of this bridge to see a real bridge troll.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 04:34 AM

The art museum has recently reopened near pikes place. Check it out, it seemed interesting.
Space Needle is fun and a must.
If you have time (though you probably won't), the ferry is a nice little ride.
Underground tour is recommended, just because it's so strange!

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 11:46 AM

The Underground tour is pretty awesome. Check out the space needle but it's expensive. Too bad you'll be in Seattle during the winter when it's rainy and crappy most of the time. Otherwise the view from up there is amazing. The zoo there is nice (Portlands' zoo is much nicer imo) and so is the aquarium. The fish market is nice to wander through and there's a couple of great seafood places nearby.

spindler
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2007, 01:03 PM

TheoCryst, if you want to do something you can't do in Tucson or Phoenix, how about taking a ferry ride? They have ferries that cross to the different islands around there. I took a ferry to the north and it was beautiful but I am not sure of the details of where the closest ones to downtown would be. Maybe someone from Seattle in here could tell us.

The northwest has a different look than the southern part of the country. The colors are a more sedate green and blue, so when you take a ferry trip across the water it has a different feel than a boat ride in Florida. It is a nice experience to try.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 01:22 PM

Ivars is not that great anymore. Check out the PSC. It has one of the worlds largest butterfly exhibits. Also the museum of flight is very cool, I am actually going there tomorrow. A ferry ride is always fun, but depending on the weather you might not want to go. It should be clearing up later this week though, so maybe it will be better.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by (s)macintosh View Post
The zoo there is nice (Portlands' zoo is much nicer imo) and so is the aquarium.
I haven't actually been to the Seattle zoo in a long while, and have never actually been to the Portland zoo, but Woodland Park (Seattle's zoo), used to constantly get awards for being one of the best in the country. Maybe they've let it go into decline or something...

Rumor
Dec 29, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by spindler View Post
TheoCryst, if you want to do something you can't do in Tucson or Phoenix, how about taking a ferry ride? They have ferries that cross to the different islands around there. I took a ferry to the north and it was beautiful but I am not sure of the details of where the closest ones to downtown would be. Maybe someone from Seattle in here could tell us.

The northwest has a different look than the southern part of the country. The colors are a more sedate green and blue, so when you take a ferry trip across the water it has a different feel than a boat ride in Florida. It is a nice experience to try.
One of the easiest ferry terminals to get to is here. If you scroll up and down, you will see some of the other lines.

The Seattle-Bremerton line has three types of ferries, IIRC. There is the auto ferry which takes about an hour, a passenger ferry which takes about 45 minutes, and the high speed passenger ferry called the Chinook, which takes about 33 minutes. Any of them would be a nice ride. The auto ferry has a large deck to stand on. You can stand on the back deck and watch/feed the seagulls as they follow the wind put off by the ferry.

Dec 29, 2007, 07:36 PM

Seattle for the day will be fun.

Idea? Go hang at Microsoft in Redmond. Sit in the reception area with your Macbook Pro looking like a job interviewee.

(ARE a job interviewee?)

Then you can post here throughout the day about the conversations you have and the looks you get.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 07:48 PM

Except there are a ton of Macs on the M$ campus. They do make Office you know, in between years of working on Windows reskins and squirting songs to their coworkers z00n$.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 07:57 PM

MBU is in California and is a pretty small unit. However, I have heard as well that there is a large number of Apple products in use by MS employees.
Vandelay Industries

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
MBU is in California and is a pretty small unit. However, I have heard as well that there is a large number of Apple products in use by MS employees.
I've heard that too, especially after the Intel switch. Plus, it helps keep your work separate from your personal life.

A ferry ride sounds like a good time, and I'll look into it.

♥: MacBook Pro? Psh, I wish.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I haven't actually been to the Seattle zoo in a long while, and have never actually been to the Portland zoo, but Woodland Park (Seattle's zoo), used to constantly get awards for being one of the best in the country. Maybe they've let it go into decline or something...
Don't get me wrong, the Seattle zoo is super nice, but I like the Portland zoo a bit more. It's hard to explain, but driving up the hill [to the zoo in Portland], you'd never guess there was a zoo up in them thar hills. The city did a good job incorporating the surroundings and blocking off the city from the zoo.

Does Seattle have anything like OMSI? I haven't spent enough time up there to see if there is or not. I went to the Body Worlds display this year and it was incredible.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by (s)macintosh View Post
Don't get me wrong, the Seattle zoo is super nice, but I like the Portland zoo a bit more. It's hard to explain, but driving up the hill [to the zoo in Portland], you'd never guess there was a zoo up in them thar hills. The city did a good job incorporating the surroundings and blocking off the city from the zoo.

Does Seattle have anything like OMSI? I haven't spent enough time up there to see if there is or not. I went to the Body Worlds display this year and it was incredible.
Yeah, we have the Pacific Science Center. Bodyworks was there this summer iirc.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 04:38 AM

No, it was by the Convention Center last fall through spring.
Vandelay Industries

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
No, it was by the Convention Center last fall through spring.
I stand corrected. Bodyworks is really not my type of thing so I avoided the whole exhibit.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I stand corrected. Bodyworks is really not my type of thing so I avoided the whole exhibit.
I almost saw it when it was at the Arizona Science Center, but I ended up just forgetting. Too bad though, I heard it was pretty awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules