Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3/360 Users: Will/Do You purchase retail titles as downloads?

View Poll Results: Will you download games?
Poll Options:
Yes – I have no reservations of purchasing titles as digital downloads 1 votes (10.00%)
No – I do not think the price represents a fair value (distribution; lack of case or instructions) 6 votes (60.00%)
No – I prefer to have a physical copy of my games 6 votes (60.00%)
No – I can't trade or resell a digital download 5 votes (50.00%)
No – I can't lend or take a digital download to a friend 6 votes (60.00%)
No – I don't want or have the hard drive space to waste 3 votes (30.00%)
Undecided 1 votes (10.00%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
PS3/360 Users: Will/Do You purchase retail titles as downloads?
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 03:37 PM

This weeks poll: Games on Demand is coming to the NXE soon, and our PS3 brethren have already had a similar service for quite some time. Will/Do you download games rather than purchase them at stores or on the internet?

Multiple options provided.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 03:43 PM

Hopefully I didn't miss any idea.

On the surface, digital downloads have many more negatives than only two positives (No leaving the house to get it, and short wait time to play). It's up the hardware manufacturers to sell me on what other benefits they might have over their physical counterparts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 04:37 PM

Not only do I not have the HDD space, I really dislike the limiting DRM on XBL downloads.

As of right now I can't bring my HDD to my buddy's house to play Nazi Zombies DLC, since the DLC needs to be authorized online by XBL and they don't have internet as of yet. Sounds fairly retarded, I own the DLC, it's on the HDD, and so is my gamertag...but nooooo I need XBL to let me play my f**king DLC for my game....ugh.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 04:53 PM

That's one of the major reasons why I don't buy many XBLA games. In 10 years (highly unlikely, I know), what happens if they don't have authentication servers still up so I can play?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 05:01 PM

I'm a pack rat when it comes to gaming too, I want to be able to play any game, with any add-on, at any time.

This recent fight with XBL DRM has me worried. Down the road when I want to play Fallout 3 again, will my 5 DLC packs still work even if I might not have internet? I could have sworn the whole idea of a removable HDD is that I can bring it over to game at other people's houses, if the DLC maps that I buy won't work without authentication then what's the point of bringing my HDD at all? I might as well just bring the game disc, since that's the only content we'll be able to use anyways.

I am real excited for Perfect Dark, but that's also something I'd like to bring around with me. I know most of my friends have high-speed internet now, but some don't. I'll most likely run into the same annoying DRM 'feature' with that too.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 09:51 PM

I really don't mind the lack of physical media. I need more crap lying around like a need a sucking chest wound. I don't even really mind that I can't resell it because, even though I do very much like having that option, I have never actually wanted to sell a game that I liked well enough to buy. However…

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 09:56 PM

to me its all up to a basic principle of business.
I have the HDD space and don't mind using it (i have 4 games downloaded on there now PLUS all my DLC) but as with everything i'm only downloading full games for one reason, cost.

I have no problem running to the store/work and buying a game, in fact i'm such a nerd i like to add it to my immense dvd collection on the shelf BUT if you offered this same game at a discount due to.... no overhead, no shipping, no packaging, no retail idiot being paid to ring me up (is that me?!), etc. THEN i'll download. If not... no thanks, i'll pick up a copy at my friendly Betterst Buy

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2009, 01:39 AM

Many of the reasons listed in the poll are the reasons I wouldn't buy retail games through online downloading. Games that aren't sold in the stores, however, like say an X-box Live arcade game like Marvel vs. Capcom 2, is worth purchasing and downloading to the X-box.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2009, 05:13 PM

In principle, I like digital downloads for games. But a huge point of gaming for me is being able to take it to a friends house and play on their system or whatnot. In that case I probably wouldn't by a game on demand.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2009, 10:22 AM

I have no problems buying games digitally as long as the price is right. But if the game costs the same as it does in the store, I'm buying a physical copy.

But if they had new releases day and date for $40-$45, I'd probably opt for that instead of the discs.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 11:44 AM

Microsoft Responds To Crazy Games On Demand Pricing - Games on Demand - Kotaku

Microsoft HQ said the pricing decisions outside the US were the responsibility of that particular territory. So, for example, if Mass Effect is priced at 6000 Microsoft Points in Australia (as opposed to only 1600 MSP in the US), then that's Xbox Australia's decision. That's fine. So we asked Xbox Australia. Their response?

No one retailer has the lowest pricing for every product, and our program is about giving people 24 x 7 convenience and selection when shopping for Xbox 360 games.

We're incredibly excited about what Games on Demand means for digital distribution, and will continue to evaluate and evolve the service to meet market and consumer demands.

I checked out Major Nelson's site this morning and the majority of the NXE 2 comments were all ripping the Games on Demand pricing.

Personally, I can understand an increase in prices where localization is required, but I don't understand why people in UK would have to pay so much more compared to us. It also sounds like they have no grasp on MSRP (That or every brick and mortar is outright ignoring it).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2009, 04:58 PM

I don't mind buying PSN titles like Fat Princess, Bionic Commando, and original Playstation games, but I'm not dropping cash on a full retail game that I can't trade in later. If they're going to strip you of that option, it should be $10-20 cheaper.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2009, 05:00 PM

After examining the poll results, I believe that Laminar clearly has the best perspective on this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules