Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever hoard up your favorite things?

Ever hoard up your favorite things?
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 09:14 PM

I have a bad habit of doing this. Take for instance the Samsung WEP870 BT headset. I love it, the design fits perfectly in my ear and the stereo quality of the headphones is really damned good for BT... I have 4 of these. I'm still using the first I bought over a year ago, but the other three are in my office closet, just waiting for the day it conks out. I do this for other things too, my favorite Montblanc pens, extra reading glasses (4 pairs), an extra iPhone, 2 AE base stations, remotes, keyboards, mice, razors, trimmers, etc.. Sure, sometimes it works out well, I had an AE base station go tits up in March and just swapped it right out and sent the bad one in and got it replaced, but most of the time the stuff just takes up storage space. I've tried not doing it, but I almost always fidget until I get a spare. I guess it also bugs me that if a manufacturer stops making a particular style or design that I really like that I'll just be stuck, or have to go scouring Ebay to get another. Maybe I'm just eccentric, but other people do this too, right?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
May 23, 2011, 09:48 PM

For big ticket tech things it's not economical for me, but if I find a pair of pants or shoes I really like I will scour the shelves looking for more in other colors etc.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 10:08 PM

Sometimes I buy two boxes of rice krispies because I like rice krispies.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Railroader
Banned
May 23, 2011, 11:42 PM

I always buy clothes in sets of three. I only buy one kind of socks (well, one kind white and one kind black). I buy pens in sets of 5. For most of my hobbies I have a back up of just about everything.

I sympathize.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 24, 2011, 12:27 AM

I can understand buying spares, but don't you ever feel like you are missing out on the latest and greatest? If my router dies on me tomorrow I wouldn't want to swap it out with an identical unit, I'd rather upgrade to something new and exciting.

I guess it depends on whether you buy the spares because you like that specific model or design or whether you get the spare in case the first unit fails or breaks. If you just love the design and are afraid you won't be able to find it anymore then you aren't alone. I know that Steve Gibson has mentioned that he has more than a dozen of the same model keyboard stocked up since he really likes it. Personally, I don't have the money or space to buy spare electronics, but I do have multiple pairs of the same jeans and some other clothing I like.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I guess it also bugs me that if a manufacturer stops making a particular style or design that I really like that I'll just be stuck, or have to go scouring Ebay to get another. Maybe I'm just eccentric, but other people do this too, right?
Yup.
I have seven of the same guitar model (because the manufacturer discontinued them and the neck/trem on this particular model is perfect for me). And I have a large stash of the old white Apple keyboards (glad I did, 'coz I hate the alu ones with a passion).

Really not a big fan of having to alter my habits (and/or style) because some pleb in an office thousands of miles away decides that it's time for a "new improved!" bit of kit.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2011, 06:46 AM

If something I really like is readily available, I'll buy it regularly. If it becomes harder to get, I definitely will go out of my way to stock up. Case in point, Vernor's Ginger Ale*. It's a Detroit area thing that isn't available everywhere, and up until last week, my local grocery carried it. I spent last week in the Detroit area with family, and when I got home, I went to the store for groceries in general, and Vernor's specifically. I made my wishes about stocking Vernor's clear to the soft drink manager, and we'll be watching the shelves. But I'm also checking other stores to get my "fix," because I really miss the stuff.

*Vernor's is the original ginger soda, and it makes every other so-called "ginger ale" pale by comparison. Schweppes and Canada Dry are pale reflections, suited only for use as mixers. And yes, many people do drink the stuff instead of just using it as a mixer. I you get a chance, give it a try-compare the others to Vernor's. No, I don't own stock in the company, I just like the stuff that much.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 24, 2011, 07:33 AM

I'm the exact opposite. My life has been uprooted so many times I can pack my entire existence in about 20 boxes. I own virtually nothing... no car, no furniture.. just some clothing, computers, and a TV.

dbjork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2011, 12:12 PM

Even if I wanted to, I don't think I can afford to buy one thing (esp. expensive gadgets) in different colors/packaging/etc. The only exception would be food and clothes. I can hoard on cheaper things. Besides, like one poster said, I'd rather not miss out on newer and probably better replacements once it breaks.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 12:14 PM

Must be a cultural thing, I wouldn't classify that as hoarding. Hoarding is when you don't thrown shite out.

I can't afford more than one high priced tech item, nor do I have the space. I never run out of beer though.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 03:17 PM

Not much at the moment. I tend to do it with things that end up needing the replacement, so my hoard slowly dwindles to nothing. I do have a big stack of super quiet Scythe 120mm case fans.

Also, I am making plans for incandescent bulbs.

Railroader
Banned
May 24, 2011, 03:42 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 04:34 PM

I tend to stock up on cables whenever I visit monoprice. I had to order a micro usb cable for my AppleTV and ended up with an extra 5 HDMI cables plus 2 Firewire 800 cables.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:35 PM

I hoard posts on these forums.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 04:47 PM

( Last edited by Stogieman; May 25, 2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Fixed the link.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Railroader
Banned
May 24, 2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I hoard posts on these forums.
I post whore on these forums.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I tend to stock up on cables whenever I visit monoprice. I had to order a micro usb cable for my AppleTV and ended up with an extra 5 HDMI cables plus 2 Firewire 800 cables.
They're unbelievably cheap, and so is the shipping. I feel compelled to buy 3 or 4 cables, adapters, etc. just so I feel like I get my money's worth.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

calverson
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 01:35 AM

iOs Devices. iPhone 2G, 3G (x2), 3Gs, 4G. 2x iPod Touch. iPad.

dav
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I do this for other things too, my favorite Montblanc pens, extra reading glasses (4 pairs), an extra iPhone, 2 AE base stations, remotes, keyboards, mice, razors, trimmers, etc..
ah, this explains the two women
one post closer to five stars

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 25, 2011, 12:09 PM

for everyday staples; i always by N + 1. if i used the last one, which triggers it being put on a list to get the next time i'm out, i buy the normal quantity of stock i start with + 1 extra. certain groceries or pet supplies fit into this category.

for things that i like/use based on a certain time of year, i buy during the off season and get as many as i can. prime example, golf balls. camping supplies would be another.

for hobbies; like building/fixing things around the house...i stock up. can't have too many nails, sanding disks, etc

for big ticket items, i always buy at the beginning of a new product cycle so if i want another i can get one to match. bedroom LCD TVs is on that list right now. however; if i know i can swing both at the same time...like suring xmas sales...i'll just pull the trigger then. i don't keep extras around though*

*always have 2 projector bulbs on hand. if current one goes bad, there is a chance that one of the two new ones might be bad/has problems so i don't want to go days or weeks without another one. specially around big sporting events.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
ah, this explains the two women
It took 18 posts for someone to say this? The `NN is slipping as of late.

If I have to explain the logistics of this, you haven't learned how to Google with SafeSearchâ„¢ off yet.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2011, 01:23 PM

Generally just I/O cables. I have one iPod and like 12 sync cables, for example.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
*always have 2 projector bulbs on hand. if current one goes bad, there is a chance that one of the two new ones might be bad/has problems so i don't want to go days or weeks without another one. specially around big sporting events.
Absolutely. I always have a couple of those on hand. I just bought them when I got the projector and put them in the utility closet.
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 02:27 PM

Jeans. I am 6'7" and slim, so whenever I find jeans that fit me I buy a bunch. Having said that, I recently found a store that stocks Wranglers and Lewis with 38" legs, so I've been more relaxed.

I used to do the same with shirts, but since I've found out about made to measure shirts that don't break the bank (indochino.com and others) I'm more relaxed about that too. No more buying XXL and looking like a tent.

I bought two Jawbone Jamboxes because they rock and an extra one is always handy.

Koralatov
Senior User
May 25, 2011, 04:21 PM

My real weakness is stationery. When I find something I like, I tend to stock up — even mores when they’re cheap and/or discontinued. That’s why I have a several hundred Made-in-USA Papermate Mirados, and a two-foot tall stack of Rhodia pads. I used to do it with computer parts, but I managed to break that habit.

calverson
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 04:50 PM

Yes, iPod cables... just because I don't want to throw the damn things away. But I literally have 8 of them. Two at work, one in the laptop bag, one plugged into the wall, one at the MacBook Pro, one at the Mac Pro, on in the wife's laptop... couple in a drawer somewhere.

They are not really my "favorite things" though.

Also: Speedlights, though I only have 3, I would never get rid of them.

calverson
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 04:51 PM

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2011, 05:01 PM

If something holds value well, is relatively small and/or can be displayed, I will hold onto it as long as I can. Some things that come to mind--gold items, surfboards, and watches. Also, I tend to hang onto books.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2011, 10:42 PM

My favorite kind of soap is what I usually hoard up on.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
My favorite kind of soap is what I usually hoard up on.
I have two large bottles of Dr. Bronner's peppermint in the linen closet (because they were on sale), although I think the bar version lathers much better.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the tip. After I use up my non bronner's bar soap I'll give theirs a try

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 27, 2011, 07:01 AM

Dr. Bronner's is the best.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2011, 12:17 PM

Doesn't one bottle last about a century?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 03:58 PM

roughly a month for me if I just use it for body, hair and shave.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If something I really like is readily available, I'll buy it regularly. If it becomes harder to get, I definitely will go out of my way to stock up. Case in point, Vernor's Ginger Ale*. It's a Detroit area thing that isn't available everywhere, and up until last week, my local grocery carried it. I spent last week in the Detroit area with family, and when I got home, I went to the store for groceries in general, and Vernor's specifically. I made my wishes about stocking Vernor's clear to the soft drink manager, and we'll be watching the shelves. But I'm also checking other stores to get my "fix," because I really miss the stuff.

*Vernor's is the original ginger soda, and it makes every other so-called "ginger ale" pale by comparison. Schweppes and Canada Dry are pale reflections, suited only for use as mixers. And yes, many people do drink the stuff instead of just using it as a mixer. I you get a chance, give it a try-compare the others to Vernor's. No, I don't own stock in the company, I just like the stuff that much.
So I ducked into the local 99 cent store today to have a look around, as I hadn't been there before. And on my way to the register with a handful of crap, the rack of 2 liter sodas caught my eye. Crowding the upper shelves were the usual 7UP, Pepsi... etc, nothing special, and certainly not for the the $1.50 being asked. But as if it was destined, I looked back at the rack while standing in line and there at the very bottom... Vernors.

Of course I hadn't heard of it before reading this post of yours...

Anyways, yes, it's completely of its own taste. I never realized how fake the other ginger ales taste until now. I'm not even sure how to describe Vernors flavor in comparison. I mean, it tastes of ginger... but that's really all that would let you know it's a ginger ale. But it's just much smoother and has a very prominent taste of vanilla.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2011, 09:04 PM

Glad to have another devotee join our ranks, Lateralus!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2011, 09:18 PM

Especially a Tool fan.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 1, 2011, 09:20 PM

Another Michigan favorite: Kogel's Viennas. I usually buy 10-15 lbs of them whenever I visit family. That and Squirt, but I think I saw that at the local Meijer's here in Indy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 10:59 PM

Squirt is national.

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2011, 11:00 PM

Terrible, terrible name.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 11:03 PM

I've been inured.

Used to drink it as a lad. It's at the tart end of the lemon-lime flavored soda experience.

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2011, 11:05 PM

So Squirt is kind of like a lemon party?Google it

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 11:09 PM

Depends on where you put it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2011, 11:12 PM

Hmmm... I wonder where it goes as well. Somebody should Google the answer and report back.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2011, 11:14 PM

Careful...

But that is a good question, where do you Squirt during a lemon party?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm the exact opposite. My life has been uprooted so many times I can pack my entire existence in about 20 boxes. I own virtually nothing... no car, no furniture.. just some clothing, computers, and a TV.
Likewise, but sans TV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules