Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MAIL App: Has anyone been receiving lots of spam today?

MAIL App: Has anyone been receiving lots of spam today?
echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2005, 09:01 PM

I keep my .Mac account clean and never disclose my address beyond friends/coworkers (one of the reasons I bear the unbearable $100 a year; a solid email system with robust spam filters).

Today, when .Mac came back up, about 5 spams were already there and more have been appearing since then. All of them have the same attachment.

I am curious if someone is able or has broken into .Mac. Maybe that was the reason for today's outage (with a magic bullet, or two). http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...51121132930491

If possible, please post examples or experiences as another reader stated that people in his Address Book were Cc:ed on some of the spam he got.

The below spam had an attachedment called "Mail.zip (54.2 KB)".

My Example:
Subject: smtp mail failed
Date: November 21, 2005 6:55:10 PM EST
To: [email protected]

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

SMTP_Error []
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

The full mail-text and header is attached!
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

suthercd
Senior User
Nov 21, 2005, 11:31 PM

I also have received several pieces of spam that have the same attachment. First I have seen of this in 3 years of .mac mail. Curious to see how long it takes for their filters to react/adapt.

C

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2005, 11:48 AM

I've notice the same thing. One message was the same that was posted, one was TO: [email protected]. offering videos of Paris Hilton, etc. Both included zip files. Odd that in both cases, a .mac address was posted. I'm actually glad others are having this same problem, as it makes me feel like I'm not being targeted specifically.

Wonder what we can do? Certainly not open the zip files that are attached!
Mary

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 02:47 PM

Yea, same here (spam addressed to someonelse at mac.com). Makes me wonder if spambots are hitting these forum pages.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

suthercd
Senior User
Nov 22, 2005, 04:10 PM

For now, the spam has stopped for me. It was odd, I tried setting up some Mail.app rules to catch it after looking at the headers and raw source. Thinking there might be some bits and pieces to use to ID it and delete it. When applying those filters to the spam received it did not delete it. Guess I'm spoiled by .mac filters- and I love it.

C

Forum Links
Forum Rules