Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > State of the Mac Address 2011

State of the Mac Address 2011 (Page 7)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Adobe's stuff doesn't perform well at all. It's clunky and slow. I hate it. Sigh.
All the Adobe products I use on my Macs work very well (Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of RAM and i3 iMac with 8 Gb of RAM).

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Scabulataculous. Your username made me think of this gibberish word. Thought I would share it.

nice...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2011, 07:14 PM

An example of why so many people in the industry have such a love/hate relationship with Adobe: power zoom. Basically, if you choose a zoom option, like the hand tool, or holding down command-space, and hover your mouse over a spot on the page, ID will zoom in for as long as you hold. When you let go, it will go back to the original magnification. Kind of like looking through a loupe.

Sounds good. But. . .

Hit command-zoom, get ready to zoom in to your spot and suddenly ID starts zooming for you, with no control over how fast and how much. So, if you have 20+ years of physical memory using command-spacebar and zoom in exactly where you want (the way it still works in Illustrator, btw), Adobe just threw it out the window. There's no way to turn it off. You can turn it off in Photoshop, but not ID.

It's things like this which steadily erode Adobe's goodwill among its most ardent users.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

freudling
Banned
Feb 23, 2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
For all my Adobe bashing, I disagree: on powerful enough hardware CS flies.
LOL.

freudling
Banned
Feb 23, 2011, 07:22 PM

An example of why so many people in the industry have such a love/hate relationship with Adobe: power zoom. Basically, if you choose a zoom option, like the hand tool, or holding down command-space, and hover your mouse over a spot on the page, ID will zoom in for as long as you hold. When you let go, it will go back to the original magnification. Kind of like looking through a loupe.

Sounds good. But. . .

Hit command-zoom, get ready to zoom in to your spot and suddenly ID starts zooming for you, with no control over how fast and how much. So, if you have 20+ years of physical memory using command-spacebar and zoom in exactly where you want (the way it still works in Illustrator, btw), Adobe just threw it out the window. There's no way to turn it off. You can turn it off in Photoshop, but not ID.

It's things like this which steadily erode Adobe's goodwill among its most ardent users.
Times change, values don't.™

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 10:14 PM

Better than "FFS"!
You may have spoken too soon!

AppleInsider | Apple rumored to release 3rd iPad this winter, redesigned MacBook Pro in 2012

This theory coincides with claims reported last week by AppleInsider, who was told by Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities -- an analyst who has proven sources in Apple's supply chain -- that a successive iPad 3 model would deliver a screen with Retina Display-like quality and resolution doubled to 2048x1536 via a new a 9.7 inch IPS panel with FFS (fringe-field switching) technology, which enables a wider viewing angle and clearer visual quality under in sunlight.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
FFS!

freudling
Banned
Feb 23, 2011, 11:53 PM

I am so sick of these rumours. Everyday... just link whores in the end. Ya, having information is better than not, but this stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. It's life, and business. Someone who hears from someone else who knows x who say y say to z that Apple has a 7" tablet, or that they are having difficulty with a supplier of glass panels therefore shipping delay!

I mean, the pedantries of it all. It's like someone mopping a floor tweeting every square inch. Yes, things are challenging to create and produce. Apple has tons of prototypes surely flying around. But in the end, they do what it is they have to do: release products that make sense. iPad2 will not be delayed, and there will be no iPad3 in the Winter. iPad2 will house a revamped iOS 5, have dual-core processors, be thinner and lighter, with a front-facing camera... well, you know the rest.

All this negative stuff is Apple and their disinformation campaign and the x, y, z stuff pointed up earlier. It's just nonsense.

freudling
Banned
Feb 25, 2011, 01:48 PM

Well what do you know... and this is almost an admission of a problem:

Apple’s Mac OS X 10.7 Lion adds TRIM support; helps preserve SSDs – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2011, 11:02 PM

If they've got it done, wouldn't it be rolled into 10.6.7 or .8?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 25, 2011, 11:31 PM

When they can charge users for an OS upgrade?

PhilCat
Feb 26, 2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
iToys are when all is said and done ,,,
they are cheap and convenient, which is a ticket to success.
But not as a replacement to a real computer, which is always more powerful, flexible, upgradable and versatile.

Laptops are for some even a better compromise than an iToy.
Greetings Gang.
My official 2nd post.

I pretty much share the same thoughts here, only in a different way.
I'm a Mac convert 6 years ago. I seriously threw in the towel.
Two PC towers went down before their time.
Virus crap always interrupting my every second.

I would never go back, even though I purchased a new Toshiba 3 months ago for the xwife of 35 yrs ago, after hers took a devastating fall.

Using i7 on it, well we'll save that for later. I'm not a fan.
I'd rather have XP Pro again if a sole PC was necessary.
It would be cool if that series was option on the MacPro.

The whole thing with Apple in my view, it's solid gear using childish terms for everything.
Finder? Six years later I still can't get used to publicly saying it out loud.
Alias? Who in their right mind came up with an out right false term.

Program, shortcut, makes logical sense.
The fasteners on your car are metric, but Apple would change the word to ephemeris.

I get my first PowerBook maxed out and pretty darn proud six yrs ago.

Now mister smart guy walks back into Apple 3 days later whining, where is my virus software.
The entire Genius Bar of techs drop what ever they were holding laughing.
That's how I started.

Now on to iPhone.
Forced to make a switch 2 years ago for business.
I was a Blackberry guy for 5 yrs, with no intensions of a iPhone.

Day one with it, I'm about as pissed as one can be.
Cannot bluetooth anything meaningful as the BB can.

This is a major setback in technology.
You can't tell me iTunes can't be made secure over the air
with the same outlook if attached to the wrong machine by cable.
I get it, that's not the point. The point is lame tech.
I'll get over it, but the BB is still going with to Europe.

Very simple to switch sim card to local country your in.
One way billing, in other words, the caller pays for the call, not both of you.
Stop at any gas station to up the minutes.
Prepay of 30 Euro's last 30 days.
Try that with your US set on roaming, you'd be at $5 a minute.
Leave your set on, you are billed roaming to keep the clock set.

iCal, Notes, Bookmarks, the three main entities I use is so fragile,
it's like wet toilet paper in a hurricane.

I can review my PC bookmarks on the external drive from 7 years ago.
You can't mess it up if you tried.

MobileMe, vs .MAC.
Lets see the hands of those doing business where you want [email protected] vs [email protected].
This must of made the gay community proud.

Two days ago I get an email, and the first line is, what's with the new address. I hate it.
You try to act your age at 50 something and come across at 5. WTH?

Do I need the class of machines I have, sorta.
I do have a beast of a MacPro of late 08, last years MacBookPro 13 maxed out, and 3 month old iPad, and my trusty 6year old maxed out PowerBook 15, that traveled the world with solid OS 4.10.11.

The PowerBook with it's small processor just could not deal with Aperture without starting on fire doing raw images.
But if all goes bad, I can get him out and know I'll be fine.

Well, that's enough rant for now.
Cheers

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If they've got it done, wouldn't it be rolled into 10.6.7 or .8?
Depends on several things. Firstly, depends on how much they had to change and underlying kernel/IO code. If the changes are enough so that the code changes could have more impact upstream, then releasing it in a point update could cause more problems than its worth. Better to save it for a major release, which will get much more rigorous testing.

Secondly, depends on manpower. Given finite engineering resources, and given that most of those resources are currently working on 10.7 (and have been for the past year or so), there may not be enough extra personnel left over to essentially backport something like that into 10.6. As covered elsewhere in this thread, Apple actually has a very small workforce dedicated to the OS programming/engineering.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2011, 07:49 PM

How is getting completely rewritten for the last major release of OS X "maintenance mode"?
Finder 10.6.1 — The Very Ugly

It's an entertaining and interesting article.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2011, 08:47 PM

Entertaining, perhaps, but not in the way the author intends. Typical Rixstep.

His entire point (apart from the .DS_Store files, which I'll grant as valid) is that the Finder doesn't expose arcane Unix metadata such as the nodump flag and the sticky bit that 99.9% percent of users don't know what it is, don't care about, and probably shouldn't be monkeying with in the first place. That's seriously all there is to it — file system metadata. Is this what all this FTFF nonsense is about? Really?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2011, 10:07 PM

I thought I was pretty geeky for knowing some Unix/Linux command line commands...but this Rixstep guy makes Bill Gates look suave and cool.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2011, 10:48 PM

The thing about Rixstep is, he often displays a complete lack of knowledge of what he's talking about. He's a big fan of the classic technique of throwing out a ton of jargon to make yourself look smart to people who don't know any better, and then using tons of childish insults and name-calling to... well, I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to accomplish. He's quite infamous in the Cocoa development world, and a simple Google for "rixstep" will turn up lots of... interesting things.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2011, 04:16 AM

I thought "FTFF" was about sluggish and kludgy interface, beach-balling for lack of proper multithreading, etc.

What a useless article.

Also, this bit is stunning:

At the end of the day we're looking at what is probably the most important piece of user-visible software on the desktop: the file manager.
I don't consider myself a "light" user, but for myself and all other creative professionals I know, the file manager is among the applications they spend the LEAST time in.

P
Mar 26, 2011, 07:02 AM

I especially think that Apple should expose the system immutable flag in the Finder. Setting that is oh so common in regular work, and doing so cannot possibly be a problem. Right? Right?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2011, 03:31 PM

I should note that not even Ubuntu's file manager gives you access to those settings in the Properties window for a file (it does have a checkbox for the Executable bit, but even that is not fine-grained — checking the box turns the exec bit on for everyone in a blanket fashion. There's no way to turn it on individually for the Owner and not everyone else, for example). So apparently, in order for the Finder not to be "the singularly most laughable file manager in all of computer science", it needs to be geekier than the file manager that comes with a Linux distro.

hayesk
Mar 26, 2011, 09:52 PM

It's always sad when computer geeks think computers are designed for them. Imagine if all the faucets in my house required a monkey wrench to turn them on? Of if I had to use marr connectors to plug in a lamp. Too many computer geeks think computing should be this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules