Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Zero 8.6 Problems, Just installed

Zero 8.6 Problems, Just installed
Ramses
May 11, 1999, 05:27 PM

I want to start This thread, because MOST people just install this and never look back. 99%+ anyway.
The others are simply NOT following directions, it appears.

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 1999, 01:44 AM

I'm glad there are some good comments about 8.6 on here. For, I have had no problems with it either.

------------------

Chito
Senior User
May 12, 1999, 07:48 AM

Ditto here....other than the ATI extension thing. That was a simple fix and considering the number of third party extensions I run I'm surprised it was the only problem. I think Apple's done another great job with 8.6, it seems very stable on my PowerComputing Power Center Pro upgraded with a RailGun G3 card running at 295.7 mhz.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brian Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 03:53 PM

upgraded 2 G3/300's last night (64 MB of ram, have VM on) no problems at all, in fact it's fixed a couple crashing problems that were caused by 2 programs it seems (MYOB 8 Plus, and IE 4.5)

tonight I upgrade 2 7200's, one of which has a bunch of 3rd party items, so we'll see how well 8.6 & the 3rd party stuff goes =)

initial impressions on the G3/300's, slightly more responsive, although raw processing in certain programs (like rc5) is slightly down, but not much (instead of 960 K keys/sec processed, it's about 940 under 8.6)

goldengoose
May 14, 1999, 05:51 PM

8.6 appears to be optimized for the G3 machines. I installed it at work on my B&W 350 and so far it seems to be running just fine with all my apps (Photoshop 5.02, Dreamweaver 1.2, Imageready, IE 4.5, Pagemaker 6.5.2, Claris Emailer and others). But as I mentioned in another post, here at home on my 6500 225 there isn't much to get excited about. I venture to say that the slow redraws and other slower than before performance stuff may also be happening on the G3 machine , but at the much faster processing speeds it is probably not detectable to the eye.

From where I sit today at the 6500 machine, System 8.1 seems like the upgrade from 8.6 !!

Greenspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 1999, 02:56 AM

Am I happy with the MacOS 8.6 upgrade? DUH! ;-) You bet I am!

A lot of this is verbatim from another post of mine, but this is a good forum as well...

I have been running 8.6 on my PowerBook G3Series 292, my G3/300 MT, and my PowerMac 7200 since the first day it was available as a download. On the PowerBook, I am a major packrat - I have 301 Extensions and Control Panels running.

Not once - let me repeat that - not one time has my PowerBook crashed; nor the MiniTower, nor the 7200. The 7200 is running IPNetRouter, and the MiniTower is my wife's "clean" machine. I'm the packrat with the PowerBook.

Not only is 8.6 more stable - infinitely so - than was 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.1, 8.5, *and* 8.5.1, it is noticeably faster on the G3 Macs. The 7200 has no 8.x reference point, so I can't comment on anything but its stability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules