Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5 crashes when loading this web-page

IE 5 crashes when loading this web-page
Pogo
Mar 27, 2000, 08:40 AM

Point IE5 to www.airliners.net (make sure you have scripts on)... I get type 2 error here every time, highly unusual since it worked flawlessly with IE 4.5, Netscape and iCab.
Let me know if it crashes your "rock-solid" IE 5 as well.

Pogo.
[email protected]

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 10:49 AM

Yup, does the same thing to me on this page. It's a Microsoft app, you expect it to work perfectly?

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 10:52 AM

Actually, if you look around the IE 5 discussion form here at MacNN, you'll find quite a few posts on web pages that are not working correctly or at all. And to think that IE 5 might have replaced Netscape (or at least until the new version came out). Well, not anymore.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2000, 11:08 AM

User: Gee Microsoft, IE5 crashes when i hit a certain page!

Microsoft: Well, don't try to hit that page!

this is meant as a little poke at MS... do not misunderstand!

the fact that it (IE5) won't hit the NYTimes site at all is really unacceptable! it could not access the NYTimes site during the many hours i used IE5 yesterday, am using trusty IE 4.5.1 today... no problems

btw, during the exact same timeframe yesterday, iCab repeatedly hit the NYTimes site with its usual speed and grace

Pogo
Mar 27, 2000, 01:48 PM

Well, I dont expect it to work perfectly, but I do expect it to not crash... I laugh at the demo featuring "Tasman shows you the web exactly as the designer expected it"... I bet www.airliners.net dessigners didn't expect it to crash a browser as a normal behavior ={
What really ticks me off is to wait months to release "less-bugged" SW, but to my dissapointed it is not the case.

Tom_Ashe
Mar 27, 2000, 04:48 PM

I know an application shouldn't crash, but this page does have about 900 errors when run through an HTML validator...

Pogo
Mar 27, 2000, 05:50 PM

Actually error count is more like 100 (most of the ones you mention are Netscape related warnings). And none of those errors actually points out to the Java Script as guilty, and it IS a Java scipt issue, since the page loads fine when Java Script is not loaded. My guess is that someone down @ M$ messed up with the Javascript on this version, since it DOES work with every version of every browser out there =)

Tom_Ashe
Mar 27, 2000, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Pogo:
and it IS a Java scipt issue, since the page loads fine when Java Script is not loaded.
I haven't had time to actually try to debug the page, but the javascript does attempt to manipulate elements on the page through the DOM.

If the HTML is bad, there is no guarantee how a UA is going to clean it up to make it available to the DOM.

It may be a bug in MSIE, or it may be bad HTML is being rendered into a different DOM structure than the script expects.

I'm just saying you can't rule out the HTML at this point,even if it renders fine without script.

LA_TrickyKid
Mar 27, 2000, 08:51 PM

I can hit the NYTimes site, but when I try and re-register or sign in, I crash and have to do a hard reset. Happens every time.

Originally posted by wlonh:
User: Gee Microsoft, IE5 crashes when i hit a certain page!

Microsoft: Well, don't try to hit that page!

this is meant as a little poke at MS... do not misunderstand!

the fact that it (IE5) won't hit the NYTimes site at all is really unacceptable! it could not access the NYTimes site during the many hours i used IE5 yesterday, am using trusty IE 4.5.1 today... no problems

btw, during the exact same timeframe yesterday, iCab repeatedly hit the NYTimes site with its usual speed and grace

Pogo
Mar 27, 2000, 09:02 PM

Well so much for a Rock Solid browser, btw. the problem COULD be html related, (could it be the product of the Tasman and WWWC (however it is spelled))... Hmmm...
I figured Rock Solid would be... well stable =)

Pogo
Mar 27, 2000, 09:03 PM

Well so much for a Rock Solid browser, btw. the problem COULD be html related, (could it be the product of the Tasman and WWWC (however it is spelled))... Hmmm...
I figured Rock Solid would be... well stable =)

sirius
Mar 27, 2000, 09:36 PM

I have no problem loading the page at: http://www.airliners.net/ However When I go to http://www.expedia.msn.com and click on hotels that page is blank and will not load. This happens with the flights and cars pages too. If I try Vacations or Cruises these links do load. Go figure?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2000, 10:08 PM

This problem WILL occur under IE 5 with all scripts enabled. What happens is a memory leak of some sort, scripts related. Fire up macsbugs, and it tells you a PowerPC unmapped memory exception occured. Doing a stdlog shows some other fragments occuring and such, I hope the IE team is viewing these stdlogs on for a fix.

Joe Dell
Mar 27, 2000, 10:54 PM

Why does everyone act like you can use only one browser? Sure, everyone has a favorite (IE, NS or iCab) but I currently have Communicator 4.72, Navigator 4.08, Navigator 3.04, IE 4.51, IE 5.0 and iCab 1.9 installed on my G4. In fact, if you have enough RAM, you can have Netscape, IE and iCab all running at once. I think every browser has certain pages/sites that it chokes on. In fact, there is this one heavliy Java based company web site that I log into that will only completely work using Navigator 4.08. They are all free so I say use them all!

XELPH
Mar 27, 2000, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Joe Dell:
In fact, there is this one heavliy Java based company web site that I log into that will only completely work using Navigator 4.08. They are all free so I say use them all!
That's weird because Netscape has the crappiest Java support in the entire universe. Even when IE has its own Java virtual machine, rather than relying on MRJ, its support was way better.

ekoelbel
Mar 28, 2000, 12:45 AM

Funny, all the above sites were handled correctly by ie5 when i tried them...

svosseller
Mar 28, 2000, 12:45 AM

Someone wrote: "I hope the IE team is viewing these stdlogs on for a fix."

Yes. We take stability very seriously, and we tested on hundreds of different configurations on thousands of URLs. JAVA and Javascript code often forks for different browsers/VMs so developers write different code to deal with different implementations and levels of support. I didn't realize that the airliners.net page was so popular, so nobody came across it in beta testing, but we are looking at the javascript code. As we continue work on the carbon version, our stability should only get better because the carbon API is much less tolerant of errors.

Keep finding those crashing pages and we'll add them to our diagnose list. In many cases it is faulty javascript or html code that is the cause of the problem. Having our browser realeased will give web developers a chance to assess how good their code is. Unfortunately, most MRJ bugs are beyond our ability to deal with since it is developed by Apple.

Thanks.

------------------
--
Shan Vosseller
Program Manager -
Mac IE

tonymac
Mar 28, 2000, 02:52 AM

I haven't been able to load http://www.macfixit.com since upgrading to IE5. I've also tried with 4.5 with the same result. I get the name in the title bar, and the progress indicator shows it's downloading a gif, but the program is unresponsive and I have to force quit. Is it just me??

MacCracken
Mar 28, 2000, 03:54 AM

I don't know what you people are talking about.
I hit those pages like a step child, without a problem.

------------------
"What is difference between women and a PC?"
"PC accepts 3.5 inch floppy"

Forum Links
Forum Rules