Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any way to speed up OS-X on BW-G3/400?

Any way to speed up OS-X on BW-G3/400?
NeuWest1
Sep 19, 2000, 12:57 PM

Installed OS-X last night on using a clean install on a BW/G3-400.

I'll probably go back to OS9 as it felt "faster" as far as the UI and I do a ton of web/print design work and need the old feel to work faster.

I'll retry the install in a few weeks when the workload slows down a bit for me to "play" with the new OS-X system.

BUT, in the mean time, are there any upgrades (aside from a dual 500/G4) to help speed things up?

32Mb video card? Or should I wait for the final cut of OS-X?

Thanks!

------------------
-NeuWest
Team John 3:16

anonymous
Sep 19, 2000, 02:06 PM

RAM. Lots and lots of RAM. OpenStep users always said more RAM was better than a faster processor. I am awaiting my copy of the Beta with 320MB at work, and 384MB at home.
For more info. see <http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jkheit/index.html>, and scroll down to the Memory section. The first line is "OPENSTEP LOVES MEMORY.". The writer goes on to say that the greatest speed boost can be obtained by having enough memory. I would double his "Comfort Zone" memory recommendations for OS X.

Also, this is a Beta release, so it is not optimized yet.

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 11:41 PM

Remember, OS X is still in beta. It's not finished yet. One thing I've noticed is that if you set the monitor to Thousands of colors rather than Millions things are faster, probably a problem with the video drivers. When the final comes out expect it to be faster than OS 9.

Metzen
Sep 21, 2000, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by macman:
Remember, OS X is still in beta. It's not finished yet. One thing I've noticed is that if you set the monitor to Thousands of colors rather than Millions things are faster, probably a problem with the video drivers. When the final comes out expect it to be faster than OS 9.
Oddly enough, when you first install OSX its default setting is 16bit...

Forum Links
Forum Rules