Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 49)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Now we need a graphic that says "At least I tried it" which is more than GoMac can say for the other systems he is such a pro on.
I've tried all the Sony systems. In fact, I'm know to frequently play Guitar Hero and Katamari Damacy. I just don't care to own any of them, and I have my reasons why.

I have nothing against the XBox.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I've tried all the Sony systems. In fact, I'm know to frequently play Guitar Hero and Katamari Damacy. I just don't care to own any of them, and I have my reasons why.

I have nothing against the XBox.
So why do you bitch at me when I still buy a Wii and give a fair review of the system? What have I said that is so unreasonable about it since I got it? I gave Nintendo their money which is your major concern so be happy.

BTW here is a fanboy list of what needs changed on the Wii and my issues with it mirror his:
http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...581.htm?Page=1

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 07:16 PM

So why do you bitch at me when I still buy a Wii and give a fair review of the system? What have I said that is so unreasonable about it since I got it? I gave Nintendo their money which is your major concern so be happy.
Because you didn't like it before it was announced, you didn't like it before you bought it, and you still don't like it. Then you expect us to be like "oh swg doesn't like it! Wow!"

BTW here is a fanboy list of what needs changed on the Wii and my issues with it mirror his:
http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...581.htm?Page=1
The Wii isn't a perfect system, and I think Nintendo will roll in changes over it's lifespan. That's entirely different than saying it is a fundamentally flawed system.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:23 PM

Because you didn't like it before it was announced, you didn't like it before you bought it, and you still don't like it.
I didn't say I don't like it now. Just because I mention negatives with it doesn't mean I hate it.

My issues before it came out was: No HD, inaccurate controls, once in a blue moon must have games.

Now that I got it I can see 1 and 2 were correct plus there were some more unexpected downsides and some plus'.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 09:39 PM

I smell some incredible make-up sex coming after this.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 12:38 AM

must sell 500,000+ ps3 to make a profit? ouch

PS3 Games Must Sell 500,000 to Be Profitable - News at SPOnG.com

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 01:35 AM

The original article is below. Note that he didn't say that all PS3 games must sell 500,000 copies to make a profit -- just the ones produced by his company. Presumably the costs to produce games varies widely, although costs have certainly increased with the next-gen machines. I think the point of his comment is not to say that the PS3 is doomed or anything (after all, that's 500,000 copies worldwide he's taking about) but rather that a delayed launch like the one we are seeing (with less than 300,000 units shipped so far in Japan and the US combined) makes software makers less likely to want to create software for the PS3. He did also mention that PS3 games are "selling well."

Bloomberg.com: Japan

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 01:37 AM

I didn't say I don't like it now. Just because I mention negatives with it doesn't mean I hate it.

My issues before it came out was: No HD, inaccurate controls, once in a blue moon must have games.

Now that I got it I can see 1 and 2 were correct plus there were some more unexpected downsides and some plus'.
I find it absurd how you accuse me of "not trying other platforms" when you were bashing the Wii before you even tried it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 01:58 AM

I find it absurd how you accuse me of "not trying other platforms" when you were bashing the Wii before you even tried it.
So I can have an opinion before I so I can make a choice if I want to buy it when it is released.

You don't have any intention of buying a PS3 or Xbox but you still ramble on about them.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 02:29 AM

Ok, since when is it not OK to criticize something that you don't own? That's just idiotic.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Ok, since when is it not OK to criticize something that you don't own? That's just idiotic.
Because he is beating a dead horse. He doesn't want a PS3 or XBOX so he should just drop it and go play with his Wii.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
SWG told me I shouldn't criticize things I don't own. So I'm asking him why when he does it it's perfectly acceptable, but when I do it it's not.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 03:19 AM

Because he is beating a dead horse. He doesn't want a PS3 or XBOX so he should just drop it and go play with his Wii.
Well, this is a thread about all three systems. The way I see it he is just participating in the discussion. Why should he drop it? He is giving his opinion in a thread for giving your opinions.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 03:42 AM

Because he is beating a dead horse.
Hello, Pot? I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 03:45 AM

Ooh, and you weren't doing the same?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Ooh, and you weren't doing the same?
: sigh :

That's the point. Thank you Starman for making it for me.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 04:02 AM

More on topic... directions for retrofitting a Wii sensor bar to be wireless.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759093

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Extraordinarily long load times? Did you even play a game on the PS2 during the second half of it's life span?
Even though I've never owned a PS2, of course I've played many games on it at family and friends' houses. And, yes, I've always felt that the PS2 had long loading times. That's not to say it's not a good/great system, but like all things it has its shortcomings as well.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The Dreamcast got off to a good start ... [snip] ... but it was an underpowered system meant to beat the PS2 to the shelves and grab market share...

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It was hardly underpowered - in fact it looked a lot better than the PS2 when it was released. The PS2 did mature to be a more powerful system, and later titles did look better, but in the beginning the Dreamcast had the edge.
Quite. But, it's not the the PS2 matured, but rather that game development on the platform matured, as it naturally would have on the Dreamcast as well if it hadn't met an untimely end for whatever reasons.

About VC games on the Wii:

Originally Posted by DuckRacer1 View Post
Well, I think it's worth it, considering you don't have to keep around an old console hooked up to your TV to play those old games. Or if you don't have a NES, or N64, or whatever, you can still play those games without having to buy a system.
Of course, it's great, but that doesn't negate the relative pricey-ness of the game and the inability to sell them afterwards.

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
You really can't make judgments about a system from its launch titles in most cases.
Exactly. I think (and hope) we'll see a lot more good-looking games that use the Wii-mote in innovative ways as time goes by and developers get the hang of things (and don't feel rushed to get it out on launch).

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2006, 01:55 PM

I have to admit, this thread is entertaining. I can't believe "adults" argue over gaming systems. They are all good - just at different things.

I went with the XBox 360 because I like the games, Live, controllers, Marketplace, and Arcade. Was thinking about getting a PS3 but a) it's too expensive (only "feature" for the price is Blu-Ray player) and b) it doesn't offer anything (to me) that I don't get with my current system (aside from the aforementioned Blu-Ray player). Wii is just too limited at this time and there are no games I want to play.

Fact is, the 360 is just now getting games that take advantage of the graphics. Have you seen Gears of War? Best graphics I have ever seen in a video game. Insane.

Bottom line: buy the system that suits your gameplay and needs. No system is "better" (objectively) than the others.

BTW, Gamestop and EB Games have Wiis available for pre-sale online. Says they will ship 12/18.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 03:58 PM

Presumably the costs to produce games varies widely, although costs have certainly increased with the next-gen machines.
Would that imply that it is cheaper to develop on the Wii? You have to have much more detailed textures on the PS3 and 360 systems, which implies more expensive artistic acumen. This may also imply that more of the experimental games will come out on the Wii (less investment required). Which, in turn, implies a lot of stinkers among the gems.

Assuming the Wii reaches market criticality, of course.

It's going to be an interesting generation. Nintendo is breaking all the rules.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 04:03 PM

Yes, the article I linked says that the Wii is about half as expensive to develop for as the PS3. But of course these are just generalizations. I'm sure there will be cheaper games on the PS3 and more expensive games on the Wii (from a development standpoint). There's no way that craptastic Gundam game cost Bandai as much to make as Ridge Racer, for example.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:21 PM

Gran Turismo HD has been cancelled for the PS3. That's the nail in the coffin for me. Off to Xbox 360 and Forza 2 I go!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 05:30 PM

if by cancelled you mean a free download
we don't have time to stop for gas

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post

A demo does not make it a game. Nice try.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 05:46 PM

I haven't really been following this very closely, but as I understand it they decided to shelve Gran Turismo HD so they could work on Gran Turismo 5. Is that a very different game or what? Or do people just not want to wait for it?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 06:01 PM

Ah yes. It will only have 2 tracks and 10 cars.

This long and they've only done 2 tracks?

But for all intensive purposes, it's a demo.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 06:01 PM

basically wii owners wont ever say a nice thing about the ps3 and visa versa
we don't have time to stop for gas

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 06:10 PM

The Japanese VC selection is far less sucky than the US selection:

http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/...-console-shop/

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 06:15 PM

I haven't really been following this very closely, but as I understand it they decided to shelve Gran Turismo HD so they could work on Gran Turismo 5.
Yup, you're right.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 06:22 PM

Wii has crossed the 1,000,000 sold mark:

NexGen Wars - who will win? you decide.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 07:24 PM

A chart with no source? Yeah, that's reliable.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 07:28 PM

basically wii owners wont ever say a nice thing about the ps3 and visa versa
I like 'em both. Actually, all three.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 07:45 PM

A chart with no source? Yeah, that's reliable.
Nintendo's Japan launch was 400,000 units, they sold out. Nintendo's U.S. launch was 400,000, they sold out. That's 800,000 at least just due to launches. The numbers check out.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 2, 2006, 07:56 PM

Wii has crossed the 1,000,000 sold mark:

NexGen Wars - who will win? you decide.
The numbers there are just educated guesses, and often need to be readjusted significantly.

For example, according to Microsoft, the Xbox 360 already reached the 8 million mark last week.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 07:57 PM

I like 'em both. Actually, all three.
Isn't that what I said when this thread started? It's amazing what people will pull out to make you look bad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 07:57 PM

Nintendo's Japan launch was 400,000 units, they sold out. Nintendo's U.S. launch was 400,000, they sold out. That's 800,000 at least just due to launches. The numbers check out.
Really? Hmmm. My math shows 1million != 800k. I learned in second grade that all charts need a source reference.

EDIT: my point - nothing about a million here:

Nintendo Wii

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 08:00 PM

Really? Hmmm. My math shows 1million != 800k. I learned in second grade that all charts need a source reference.
We're post launch now in the U.S. so they've been shipping more units past the initial 400k, and those have been selling out too. I'd say we have to be at at least 1 mil.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 08:05 PM

Another source says Nintendo is selling 78k Wii's a day, which co-oberates the other numbers. Add on the extra 400k today from the Japan launch.

78,000 WII CONSOLES SOLD EVERY DAY || RETROTHINKING.COM ||

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 08:07 PM

AND there is one particular Wii on sale on eBay right now, which is sure to add to that number.

Feel free to bid.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 2, 2006, 08:09 PM

Another source says Nintendo is selling 78k Wii's a day, which co-oberates the other numbers. Add on the extra 400k today from the Japan launch.

78,000 WII CONSOLES SOLD EVERY DAY || RETROTHINKING.COM ||
It doesn't look like they have a reliable source, and they are just guessing like the rest of us.

I think 1 million is a reasonable estimate, but I don't think that that site really provides us any additional support for that belief.

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 08:11 PM

Bet that demo will be as lousy as GT 4 Prologue, where you can do only up to 3 laps in a row... Sony has lost it for me.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 01:20 AM

This thread is dying. C'mon, guys! Hang in there!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 01:34 AM

co-oberates?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 01:34 AM

Ok I saw a PS3 in store the other day... it is waaay bigger than I thought it would be. It isn't that much bigger than an Xbox but it LOOKS much bigger.

That said is is also really slick looking. The Wii and Xbox both have the white apple look but it still looks like cheap plastic. The PS3 definitely screams power and sleek and stands out against the other systems.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 02:15 AM

Ok I saw a PS3 in store the other day... it is waaay bigger than I thought it would be. It isn't that much bigger than an Xbox but it LOOKS much bigger.

That said is is also really slick looking. The Wii and Xbox both have the white apple look but it still looks like cheap plastic. The PS3 definitely screams power and sleek and stands out against the other systems.
I'll give you that one.

Damn shame too…

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2006, 02:21 AM

I still don't think the PS3 looks sleek. It's not that it's black, but the shiny plastic and strange curve of it just makes me think of one of the eggs pantyhose comes in or something.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I still don't think the PS3 looks sleek. It's not that it's black, but the shiny plastic and strange curve of it just makes me think of one of the eggs pantyhose comes in or something.
The curved top makes it impossible to put anything on top of the PS3.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 02:27 AM

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 02:29 AM

The curved top makes it impossible to put anything on top of the PS3.
Why would you want to put anything on top of it?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
Xbox is a little WHITE but it looks pretty good anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules