Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BitTorrent question

BitTorrent question
RufusRyker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 05:52 PM

How come when I'm downloading something using bitTorrent, usually it starts to slow down after a while and I can see the number of "seeds" and "peers" dropping one by one. Then, if I quit the program before the download is completed, and start it up again 5 minutes later, it automatically starts to continue the download but now, all of a sudden, there are more seeds and peers listed, and the download is usually much faster. What's going on? Does the program not try actively to find new sources while its working, while dropping the ones that go offline? Do you have to consistently quit and re-start the program to achieve faster downloads of very large files?

Franz
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 06:07 PM

Which BitTorrent program are you using? It could be a problem with that, or also the tracker you are connected to.

I've found Transmission to be the best, you can get the latest nightly builds here.

RufusRyker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 06:17 PM

Thanks, Franz. I'll take a look at Transmission.

The program I am using is simply called BitTorrent. Version 4.4.1. The website is www.bittorrent.com

RufusRyker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

Ok, I'm using Transmission now. It just picked up on this 3 gig file where BitTorrent left off. Transmission seems to be going faster, on average. The big difference is that I see the more "seeds" and "peers" -- and the numbers go both down and UP. On BitTorrent they normally just went down, although sometimes very gradually. So far, so good.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 02:05 PM

Some information for you as you seem to be a bittorrent newcommer:

"Seeds" are people who have the complete file that you are after they are seeding you the file.

"Peers" are people like you who are in the progress of getting files.

When downloading a torrent, to you need to find one with a large number of seeds. you also want one with more seeds than peers - otherwise more people want the file, than have the file - so everything will be slow. Although when something is first "seeded" there are always only a few seeds, and many peers.

Bittorrent will start slow while it connectes to peers and seeds, it then gets faster and faster, it helps not to quit the application, as you then loose all the seeds and peers you are connected to.

Opening ports
- very important. If you are behind a router, then you need to look into opening ports - this allows people to get "through" your router, and gives you much faster speeds.

Seeds and peers will go up and down, this is normal.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

RufusRyker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 02:25 PM

Yes, I am a bittorrent newcomer. I now understand the peer/seed designations. However, there have been times when I was showing one peer and no seeds, and I was still downloading the file, albeit slowly. Maybe it was the lingering data from a seed that recently signed off?

I am connected to Airport, which is connected to a cable modem. Does this qualify as a router, and should I open ports?

dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 02:49 PM

Also, if you use OS X's firewall, you should try unblocking the port your bittorrent client uses.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by RufusRyker
Yes, I am a bittorrent newcomer. I now understand the peer/seed designations. However, there have been times when I was showing one peer and no seeds, and I was still downloading the file, albeit slowly. Maybe it was the lingering data from a seed that recently signed off?

I am connected to Airport, which is connected to a cable modem. Does this qualify as a router, and should I open ports?
In this scenario, the peer has more data than you, so you start to download the data he has, but you dont.

Basically, everyone downloads from one another. Bittorrent downloads whatever it can, i.e. it does not download from the start of the file to the finish. As it downloads any random bit it can, you end up with bits other people dont have and vice versa. You then start downloading the bits you dont have from another peer, and they download bits you have and they dont have from you etc..

It is possible to download a whole file with no seeds available - this would be possible if, between all the peers, 100% of the data was available.

Obviously its best to have seeds - as then you know that the whole file is available.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

namannik
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 01:02 AM

See the following link:

How to configure your router to allow fast BitTorrent downloads - The Peer-to-Peer Weblog

I used their tip, and it worked wonders! My download speed immediately jumped from <2 kB/s to nearly 300!
( Last edited by namannik; Sep 27, 2006 at 01:12 AM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by namannik
See the following link:

How to configure your router to allow fast BitTorrent downloads - The Peer-to-Peer Weblog

I used their tip, and it worked wonders! My download speed immediately jumped from <2 kB/s to nearly 300!
Just remember, this won't cure all problems with all torrents. Sometimes the peers and seeds for the torrent are just slow.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules