Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels and internet problem

Parallels and internet problem
dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 05:18 PM

I'm trying to use the internet through XP in Parallels, but with the default settings I get this error about an IP address conflict. I get an error from XP and OSX at the same time every few seconds. I've tried changing different settings and it still occurs, not sure which one to use exactly. I'm connected to the internet through ethernet and using the latest Parallels beta. Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 08:11 PM

Silly question, but do you have any machines on your network that you've assigned a fixed IP address?
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

jonathan stick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 12:20 AM

Hi everybody!

I just installed a fresh version of XP with the new Parallels 1884 RC on my MacBook (2GHz, 2GB RAM) and I can't get the internet to work in XP. I'm in Parallels' Bridged Ethernet mode with "en1: AirPort/Wireless Adaptor" selected. XP's network settings are in DHCP and I haven't changed anything... I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks in advance!

Love,
Jona
Portland, OR

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 06:47 PM

Try setting the adapter to "Default Adapter", I have the same setup as you and that's working fine for me.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

dreamsINdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by techtrucker
Silly question, but do you have any machines on your network that you've assigned a fixed IP address?
No I don't. I have DSL wit a dynamic IP.

It doesn't matter though, I recently got a wireless router so now I use the AirPort to connect and it works fine in Parallels.

Thanks anyways guys

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 09:31 PM

I'm also having internet connection problems with Parallels (1940 and Tools installed).
Config: 17" Core2Duo iMac, 1gb RAM. I've tried Airport, ethernet, default and host-only. XP finds the home site, loads it, keeps it updated but as sson as I try another page it won't connect. I can go back to the home site but everything else bombs. I fooled with XP settings, no luck. Anyone have luck connecting to the Internet in a Core2Duo iMac in Parallels?

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 09:56 PM

I just solved the problem--it was the Trend Micro firewall that was causing the problem. I don't like turning it offf but that seems to be the only way to get the internet working properly.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2006, 10:28 AM

I've not seen a lot about Trend Micro's firewall, but obviously it doesn't play nice. Use the XP firewall and a decent antivirus package and you shouldn't have any problems.

As a note: ALWAYS get networking working BEFORE you load anything that interacts with networking. That means no firewall until you have something to firewall.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

urzsite
Nov 2, 2006, 02:05 PM

I cant connect either with my Parallels Win XP.

I have tried all adapter settings, and im not sure where to go to next. Tried the Host-only Networking, but didn't do the trick. My internet comes through my Ethernet cable from a cable-modem (no login or username req.). My IP adress is constantly 192.168.1.2 when I look in Network prefs in apples system settings. Do I have to do a static ip host-only network then ? I tried, but perhaps I did something wrong.
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by urzsite View Post
I cant connect either with my Parallels Win XP.

I have tried all adapter settings, and im not sure where to go to next. Tried the Host-only Networking, but didn't do the trick. My internet comes through my Ethernet cable from a cable-modem (no login or username req.). My IP adress is constantly 192.168.1.2 when I look in Network prefs in apples system settings. Do I have to do a static ip host-only network then ? I tried, but perhaps I did something wrong.
You'll have to give us a lot more info to start figuring out your issue. Let's start with whether or not you have a router connected to the cable modem. If not, I'm going to suggest that you turn the modem off, THEN start Windows under Parallels, THEN connect the computer to the cable modem, THEN turn the cable modem on. Note that order is important, so go step by step here. Some (maybe most) cable modems will lock onto the hardware address of the device that is plugged into them when they're turned on, and that can cause some serious problems if and when you want to change what's plugged in.

Let us know if this helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

urzsite
Nov 3, 2006, 04:08 AM

Thanks Ghporter.

I just checked my internet contract, and its a ADSL+ connection with a router, that has 1 plug for ethernet and the possibility of wifi. So it gives me 192.168.1.2 always on my computer. So only 1 "modem" is used between the phone plug and computer.

It does lock my internet access to 1 computer, which means, if I try to take out the ethernet plug, and put it into another laptop, I will need to restart the modem (I guess to prevent me from having 10 computers on the little box). Does this influence Parallels ?

I tried your trick, step by step, but with no luck. The "blue globe" does detect if I take out my ethernet plug, but I never see it respond like the harddrive or cdrom icon do (with the green / orange dot blinking). Is the "Blue Internet Globe" supposed to blink too, like the harddrive and cdrom does ?

I tried to reinstall too, but its the same. I have parallels 1970 version.

I also tried to get some answers on parallels messageboard, and it didnt do the trick ;-)

Thanks again!
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

NJDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 12:58 PM

I feel like this should be so simple, but it's just not working.....I have an Intel Mac Mini, Parallels, Windows XP, and Airport running off a cable modem. XP runs great, except I cannot access the Internet. Have tried a bunch of variables, but to no avail. Do I need to change anything within the XP operating system, or can I stick with Apple System Prefs, and the Parallels Configuration window?

Would love step-by-step walkthrough (e.g., "Parallels Networking for Dummies"), if anyone has had success with the configuration above, and would like to share a few pointers.

Thanks!
-DS

Mac the Nice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 09:11 PM

I had this problem and it was really annoying.

I did shared networking in Parallels and it worked fine.

I am not that knowledgable or curious but wanted to pass on as I have ofen have read forums but not contributed.

good luck.

tedescoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 12:56 PM

I have the same problem and would like to know if you ever got an answer?

Originally Posted by NJDave View Post
I feel like this should be so simple, but it's just not working.....I have an Intel Mac Mini, Parallels, Windows XP, and Airport running off a cable modem. XP runs great, except I cannot access the Internet. Have tried a bunch of variables, but to no avail. Do I need to change anything within the XP operating system, or can I stick with Apple System Prefs, and the Parallels Configuration window?

Would love step-by-step walkthrough (e.g., "Parallels Networking for Dummies"), if anyone has had success with the configuration above, and would like to share a few pointers.

Thanks!
-DS

Forum Links
Forum Rules